'Ronin' the official thread!

Reaction score
Ronin finds a home

RONIN is obviously not the best-known work of graphic novelist Frank Miller, but Sin City and 300 have already successfully been translated to screen, and THE DARK KNIGHT is coming in a different form than the elderly Supes-puncher he depicted in his seminal title.
And now Miller's samurai is no longer masterless -- the movie is set up at Warner Bros., who are obviously seeking another 300-style smash hit. The story follows a dishonored 13th-century ronin reborn into the corrupt, high-tech 21st century New York City with one last chance for redemption: to battle the ancient demon who murdered his master.
Director Sylvain White is still involved, and he's gonna need some significantly bigger boots -- RONIN seems a bit grander scale than his last film Stomp The Yard.

Extra Tidbit: Darren Aronofsky was once attached to adapt RONIN.

http://joblo.com/ronin-finds-a-home

Ronin tells the tale of a dishonored 13th-century samurai who is reborn in a corrupt and computerized 21st century New York with one last chance for redemption. His quest takes him through the violent Manhatten netherworld, and brings him face-to-face with passion, betrayal, murder... and the reincarnation of his sworn enemy, the ancient demon Agat. On a bleak and decaying battleground, the two foes wage a final war: to settle past debts, and for the soul of a dying civilization.
Frank Miller has described Ronin as, "It's a superhero, science fiction, samurai drama, urban nightmare, gothic romance."

Sylvain White Talks Ronin

UGO recently got a chance to talk with Sylvain White about directing the upcoming live-action adaptation of Frank Miller's DC Comics graphic novel, Ronin.

The project, optioned last month by Warner Bros., is about a disgraced samurai warrior (the ronin) who bears the shame of allowing his master to be assassinated by a shape-shifting demon in 13th century Japan. When the master's sword is unearthed in mid-21st century New York, the ronin and the demon are brought to life and battle gangs of mutants and thugs to try to take possession of the mythical sword. Here's a clip:

Daniel Robert Epstein: Years ago I got to interview Zach Snyder for the DVD of Dawn of the Dead and I said to him, "Please don't ***** up 300." I also was lucky enough to visit the set of 300 but even when I finally saw the film I still didn't expect it to look that way. Even though Ronin is also drawn by Frank Miller, it was a lot earlier in his career so it looks much different from the works that were later adapted to movies.

Sylvain White: Yes, it's different in a lot of ways. It's Frank Miller's first completed graphic novel on his own. It's very different style-wise and it's also very different story-wise. It's not as structured as 300. The adaptation process is a very different one, and the look is going to be completely different from 300.

Eh, I'm mixed about this guy directing Ronin...on one hand, he hasn't done anything like this before, on the other, it doesn't mean he can't do it.

My guesstimation at this early phase is that it's going to be a love or hate thing--it's either going to be utterly fantastic, or f**king terrible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kimcity
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"