Tales from the comic book store...*cue scary music*

I don't mind the guy talking to the cashier all that much as long as the cashier doesn't ignore a waiting customer. It only bothers me when that guy tries to talk to me. I'm a private person and don't care to have someone questioning me about my purchases. Or recommending me stuff he likes. I actually had someone once stick a Cerebus book open in front of me and tell me to read the page. Apparently he thought there was no chance I wouldn't enjoy it as much as he expected me to. I skimmed it and nodded/fake-smiled then did my best to put distance between us. Not to knock Cerebus, but I'd read some before and it didn't interest me.
Now, if I'm really not in the mood to deal with the socializers I just leave my headphones on and listen to music while I'm in the store up until the point I go to pay for things.

My comic store smells like cigerette smoke but that's the worst. Everyone is real friendly towards me and are always helpful.

So no, no horror stories from my store ever.

They're pretty big, and carry everything. Toys, back issues, manga, anime, CCGs, shirts, RPGs.

They'll let me pass if I'm a dollar short.

They do have games going on, but sensibly, those are confined to the back room, as to not interfere with the others in the store.

My LCS has these noteable designations
[FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif] 2006 EISNER NOMINEE FOR RETAILER OF THE YEAR
2006 CANADIAN RETAILER OF THE YEAR RUNNER-UP
2006 EDMONTON'S BEST COMIC STORE RUNNER-UP
[/FONT]

[FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif][/FONT]
[FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]http://www.happyharborcomics.com/[/FONT]

[FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]
[/FONT]
This is what my LCS look slike. Its very cool.

http://www.happyharborcomics.com/page_remodeled_store.html

Deathlok2001 said:
[FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif] 2006 EISNER NOMINEE FOR RETAILER OF THE YEAR
[/FONT]

[FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]http://www.happyharborcomics.com/[/FONT]

[/FONT]

I hate you with the intensity of 1000 suns

I really dont give a **** what my store looks like, as long as they got what I need.

Deathlok2001 said:
[FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]2006 EISNER NOMINEE FOR RETAILER OF THE YEAR
[/FONT]

[/FONT]

My LCS beats your LCS.

Ner-ner-ner.

(no it doesn't...)

:(

I thinK I've been to the two extremes of comic book stores, but mine is some where in-between.

While on holiday in New York I visited Midtown comics - massive, clean, bright, huge selection of comics, books, toys, collectables etc etc.

In contrast -London about 8 or 9 years ago - I visited the smallest, smokiest shop you can imagine. The only thing in the shop were wall to wall wooden racks of comics, no tpbs, no toys, no manga, - just back issues. The owner was in this little booth reading a battered comic, smoking weed and there was a stereo which had the old 30/40's Batman radio serial playing. Strange place but the comics were good, the guy pleasant enough - i was the only customer in there though:confused: Unfortunately I think the place may have closed down since then.

The only shop where i can go to is in Great Britain,besides my personal dealer.Good shop,clean,has young people,it does have some older readers.But they are decent looking.Ive only seen women at my shop a few times..

The only real complaint I have about my store is that they underorder a lot of comics, so I end up having to wait. Titles like WW, that should have a big order.

I was helping a couple of my friends move on Saturday (to Fredericton, NB, Canada), and after we had them settled in, a few of us decided to check out downtown Fredericton. Lo and behold, we found a comic shop tucked away in there, so we decided to check it out.

O.M.G.

The store clerk was fat, had a bowl cut, and had reverse-cross eyes :eek:. Anyway, once I found a couple things that I wanted, I made my way to the cash, but the clerk decided to ignore a waiting customer, preferring to scope out one of my friends, making sure that he wasn't stealing anything. The friend in question is really the nicest guy you could imagine, and he really was innocently minding his own business, just looking at what was on the shelves. But the thing is, the guy is really, really tanned (as in he looks like a black guy), and he was wearing a baggy hoodie sweater. Gangsta :cool:.

We laughed our asses off afterwards. :D :up:

No horror stories about my shop. Nice guys work there. And oddly enough, I end up going in there and seeing the mass majority of the people are actually nice looking people. It's like ''WTF?! Why are we potrayed as ugly in the media? We be some nice looking *****es."

Darthphere said:
The only real complaint I have about my store is that they underorder a lot of comics, so I end up having to wait. Titles like WW, that should have a big order.

Dude, if a store wants to survive, they have to do this, its called sell through. If you really want a book, add it to your file ( pull list for your americans), A store should go for a 90% sell through in the 1st week. You cant keep dead inventory around & plan to be in business for long.

Yeah, it is on my pull list, and I still dont get issues on time.

bring it up with the store owner. I did. I am very honest, I bascially told the owner what he did not want to hear. I outlined some errors as I saw it & told him how to fix it.

I kept missing some alternatives. After a few years of this, I opened a file at another store & now get all my alternatives there. The message I send my store is, DO NOT TAKE MY business for granted!

I also wrote the owner a note outlining things that needed to change, or else I would leave.

Deathlok2001 said:
bring it up with the store owner. I did. I am very honest, I bascially told the owner what he did not want to hear. I outlined some errors as I saw it & told him how to fix it.

I kept missing some alternatives. After a few years of this, I opened a file at another store & now get all my alternatives there. The message I send my store is, DO NOT TAKE MY business for granted!

I also wrote the owner a note outlining things that needed to change, or else I would leave.

Good on ya. dude!

You assume I haven't. Of course I have, I aslo bring up the fact that they should order a couple of extra copies for walk in business as well. And the fact is, I get most of my titles on time, its only certain titles I dont.

JustABill said:
It's like ''WTF?! Why are we potrayed as ugly in the media? We be some *****es."

It's me.

I'm sorry, I try not to be ugly. :csad: :csad:

Anyway nothing horrible about mine except that my comics come in late once in a while and the store is mostly game driven.
Last week was the first time I'd ever gone in on a Weds. and actually seen another person buying comics. I chatted with him in passing, or..mostly they commented about me since I was smiling broadly, and bouncing around, excited with my pull list that week.

I never get Nextwave pulled for me(even though its on my list), that angers my inner Dirk Anger.:mad:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kimcity
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"