The Dark Knight TDK Score Discussion

Merkel

Civilian
Reaction score
I have no idea if James Newton Howard is involved or not.

http://www.soundtrack.net/features/article/?id=206

This excerpt confirmed it:

"The first three tracks on the Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest are suites. Do you think they could be converted over to live performance?

Well, once I've done the next Batman movie, which will finish in early 2008, I thought I'd take a year off from writing film scores and just go and do some concerts. I only started thinking about this recently, that I have these complete pieces lying around, like The Ring, Gladiator, Thelma & Louise, Crimson Tide, and they all exist as proper concert pieces. One of the reasons they've never been performed is that the percussion parts mostly exist as a bunch of samples in the films, so Bruce never had to write it into the score. So we just need to sit down, add the percussion into the score, and things like that.

"
----------------------------
PREVIEWS OF SCORE TRACKS

http://www.exlibris.ch/musik/OSTVARIOUS/Dark_KnightThe/PHO/8505-9362498600.aspx

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!

now lets see if james newton howard has the balls to come back:csad:

Nice find.

Good to see that we'll have continuity in the score.

On the next part of the interview, he will adress The Dark Knight.

It's great that he's coming back. I hope Howard does as well. I enjoyed the hell out of the Begins score.

Howard isn't a need. If I remember correctly, Howard primarily scored the first half with Bruce away from Gotham and Zimmer scored the Batman themed parts in the later half of the movie.

Cool, half of the team is set already.

The Only Woj said:
Howard isn't a need. If I remember correctly, Howard primarily scored the first half with Bruce away from Gotham and Zimmer scored the Batman themed parts in the later half of the movie.

Actually, according to statements from both composers, all the tracks were co-written.

Yay, can't wait to hear what he comes up with.

Merkel said:
Actually, according to statements from both composers, all the tracks were co-written.
I dunno. I've heard statements from them saying just what Woj said.

I read in an interview with Howard (or Zimmer...I forget), that Howard and Zimmer sat in a two recording rooms seperated by a single door. They kept the door open, and they would suggest back and forth different tunes that could be used in each scene.

So ya, they did co-write the score together instead of doing individual parts.

Whoever was doing the interview even commented on the fact that 2 composers on a movie would do seperate parts of the score on their own, and how that wouldn't be the case this time.

Does that mean James Newton Howard won't return? Hopefully he does. I felt he really added a lot of emotionality and subtlety to the BATMAN BEGINS score and wouldn't even mind if he scored THE DARK KNIGHT solely without Zimmer.

On the other hand, I know Zimmer has a lot of detractors but I think if his score was more HANNIBAL and less CRIMSOM TIDE or THE ROCK this time (based on his clear contributions to the BEGINS score, however I liked them) then I would be more than open to him scoring the film without the assistance of Newton Howard.

Although there's been a lot of speculation that Zimmer focused on the action components of BEGINS while Newton Howard focused on the emotional, dramatic elements (as aformentioned). So you can say that if Zimmer just returns, how will that effect the score for THE DARK KNIGHT? I don't think it would be detrimental to the score, since Zimmer can clearly handle emotional drama, but then again look at what he did for BATMAN BEGINS (which a lot complain for its electronic-over-ochestrated tonality).

This is good. The music in BB was great, nice to have it back.

Okay, let me be the voice of reason for a moment.

Yeah, that's right. Reason. :p

Zimmer didn't say anything to suggest that Howard won't be back. Howard never came up as a topic of discussion. Zimmer just made an offhand comment that his next job was Batman. That's ALL. If Zimmer's back it's a fairly safe bet that Howard is as well. Until we know anything different, don't go making assumptions or freaking out unnecessarily, okay?

Great news, now Howard needs to sign on and everything will be great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"