The Dark Knight TDK Score Discussion

No one. I'm just waiting for it to be confirmed. It is likely he will return right?

Great news. Hopefully we'll get some of Zimmers better action themes in this one. I wonder what The Jokers theme will be like.

DCW said:
No one. I'm just waiting for it to be confirmed. It is likely he will return right?

I think so. I think since Zimmer is official it's likely that Howard is, too. Of course Zimmer didn't say anything about Howard one way or the other, so, who knows?

Seen said:
On the other hand, I know Zimmer has a lot of detractors but I think if his score was more HANNIBAL and less CRIMSOM TIDE or THE ROCK this time (based on his clear contributions to the BEGINS score, however I liked them) then I would be more than open to him scoring the film without the assistance of Newton Howard.

I whole heartedly agree. His Hannibal score was brilliant.

Stringer said:
I wonder what The Jokers theme will be like.

THEME? I doubt the Joker will have a theme. Or didn't you notice that the score for Batman Begins utilized no leitmotif whatsoever?

Keyser Sushi said:
THEME? I doubt the Joker will have a theme. Or didn't you notice that the score for Batman Begins utilized no leitmotif whatsoever?

There was certainly a motif, however minimal, to be heard in "Molossus". I'm not sure if it was heard again in the score, but it was certainly a theme of some sort that I expect to see again in the sequel.

Thespiralgoeson said:
I whole heartedly agree. His Hannibal score was brilliant.

Agreed. It's my all-time favorite Zimmer score and probably one of my favorite scores period. So classical and eleqouent. I certainly hope to see more of that side of Zimmer in his score for The Dark Knight.

Great news. I love the score from Begins, it's one of my favorites. Right up there with Gladiator and Shawshank Redemption.

Seen said:
There was certainly a motif, however minimal, to be heard in "Molossus". I'm not sure if it was heard again in the score, but it was certainly a theme of some sort that I expect to see again in the sequel.

A motif within a track is one thing. Leitmotif is something else entirely.

Leitmotif is the LOTR, or SW school of film scores - or what Danny Elfman did for B89 and BR - where each character or group of characters has a distinct theme that follows them through the film.

Batman Begins had a much more atmospheric type of score. The things that stick out the most are the percussion and leathery "whupping" that is heard over the DC logos at the beginning, and later during the scenes at the docks; and the train-like stacatto notes that accompany the flashbacks. But none of this really constitutes leitmotif.

Keyser Sushi said:
A motif within a track is one thing. Leitmotif is something else entirely.

Leitmotif is the LOTR, or SW school of film scores - or what Danny Elfman did for B89 and BR - where each character or group of characters has a distinct theme that follows them through the film.

Batman Begins had a much more atmospheric type of score. The things that stick out the most are the percussion and leathery "whupping" that is heard over the DC logos at the beginning, and later during the scenes at the docks; and the train-like stacatto notes that accompany the flashbacks. But none of this really constitutes leitmotif.

Oh, I agree. I wasn't saying that there was a leitmotif. But I think Zimmer and Newton Howard were getting to a theme, and that it was existant in "Molossus". And I think (and hope) that we're going to see a reprise of that theme in The Dark Knight.

After all, the theme was used in the trailers, so why not, right?

Keyser Sushi said:
Batman Begins had a much more atmospheric type of score. The things that stick out the most are the percussion and leathery "whupping" that is heard over the DC logos at the beginning, and later during the scenes at the docks...

...and at Arkham.

Oh man, I just love that part of Begins' music. Zimmer and Howard are ****ing geniuses to have thought of it. Really adds a lot of tension to the scene and highlights the animalistic qualities of the character. :up::up:

Seen said:
Oh, I agree. I wasn't saying that there was a leitmotif. But I think Zimmer and Newton Howard were getting to a theme, and that it was existant in "Molossus". And I think (and hope) that we're going to see a reprise of that theme in The Dark Knight.

After all, the theme was used in the trailers, so why not, right?

It's possible.

Keyser Sushi said:
Well maybe he wont have a "theme" but Im sure therell be some kind of music in direct relation to the Joker in the movie.

Stringer said:
Well maybe he wont have a "theme" but Im sure therell be some kind of music in direct relation to the Joker in the movie.

No doubt... some discordant jangling of strings and wild-ass percussive rattling. :up:

Do you think they have enough latin bat names to do another soundtrack? ;)

I hope there is a Joker theme, or motif.

that's great news, hopefully Howard will come back as well. He's quite the composer and I'll say that Unbreakable is my favorite work of his

I just really hope that they purposefully made a very small motif for Batman because he was beginning, and that there is a more developed theme in "The Dark Knight." A look at the composers' repertoire shows that they are fully capable of making excellent scores with excellent leitmotif. (And while we're talking about leitmotif, there was that theme that plays over the young Bruce's monorail ride and at the end with Bruce and Rachel--what theme is that? What would it be called?)

I'm not tremendously familiar with the score yet, but while I did enjoy it, I felt that they could have done more with it--and I understand they may be held back to some extent by Nolan's desires (although Zimmer's statements that he didn't brush up on musical Bat-history isn't encouraging), but while Elfman's score may not have been entirely appropriate, I still feel there could have been more of a middle ground reached between the gothic asticity of B89 and the modern grittiness they seemed to be going for in BB. If anyone has heard Howard's score for "Unbreakable," then you've got a good idea of how it could sound.

Babs Gordon said:
Do you think they have enough latin bat names to do another soundtrack? ;)

I know you're kinda joking, but you have a point. They had this whole motif with the names on the BB score... now I'm a fan for consistency, so what will they do with this one to be consistent? I think the best thing is maybe not to be consistent. But that would make me angry. :cmad:

:csad:

:oldrazz:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"