Iron Man 3 Ten rings to rule them all...

TheFantasticJoe

Civilian
Reaction score
I wanted to address the burning question: how will Mandarin's rings be used?

nCe5T.jpg

The fact that the trailer shows a shot of them before we see his face leads me to believe that they will be important. However, both Shane Black and Kevin Feige said that Iron Man 3 will be more grounded and not have anything to do with aliens or magic. My question is, will the rings have offensive and/or defensive purposes like in the comics, or will they merely be for show as a nod to the fans and to symbolize the Ten Rings organization? I want to hear what you guys think.

Last edited:
I wish we were getting some form of magic or alien-tech. :(

However, both Shane Black and Kevin Feige said that Iron Man 3 will be more grounded and not have anything to do with aliens or magic.

We were also told by the TDKR actors and crew continuously that [BLACKOUT]Talia Al Ghul was not in the film. And she was. [/BLACKOUT]

So... yeah, they could still be alien tech, I think. If it is meant to be a big reveal or twist for the audience, then they probably won't admit it up front.

Last edited:
We were also told by the TDKR actors and crew continuously that Talia Al Ghul was not in the film. And she was.

Thanks for ruining it for me man. :csad:

Thanks a lot.

Thanks for ruining it for me man. :csad:

Thanks a lot.

Not sure if you are serious, but I do apologize - I forgot the film isn't actually out yet (I'm waiting for the ultimate trilogy pack).

It's not like fans didn't have that twist figured out over a year in advance anyway. :oldrazz:

But seriously, back on track, I would like it if the Mandarin is shown mainly as a non-physical threat for 95% of the movie, and then at the last moment, he is shown to have devastating powers from his rings. It would be a cool twist, and I know that Shane Black talked about really wanting to explore reversals and incorporate twists and turns for this movie.

I was talking bout it in the tattoo thread but I hope they do nothing for most of the movie. It just seems like too much. Have him be the puppet master of these terrorist organizations brought together under one banner (Ten Rings) for most of the movie. Then as his last beat in IM3 he gets his hands on tech from the Chitauri to set up IM4. It would be two really different and cool ways to use him and set him up to be Ironman's greatest foe. Ironman doesn't have much of a rouge's gallery so spreading Mandarin over two films would be a smart move to me.

The contrast of this shadowy character leading a whole group and him being on his own & ultra-powerful would be great to see unfold.

I wanted to address the burning question: how will Mandarin's rings be used?

nCe5T.jpg

The fact that the trailer shows a shot of them before we see his face leads me to believe that they will be important. However, both Shane Black and Kevin Feige said that Iron Man 3 will be more grounded and not have anything to do with aliens or magic. My question is, will the rings have offensive and/or defensive purposes like in the comics, or will they merely be for show as a nod to the fans and to symbolize the Ten Rings organization? I want to hear what you guys think.

Please let me know if this thread is redundant, and I'll have a moderator close it. Thanks.

Here's my take, is that the 10 rings will have a lore, and Mandarin is someone that steeps himself in lore (thus the Anarchist CA shield on his neck). He will probably create a construct to create mechanical versions of the rings with all the powers (i.e. fire, ice, etc. etc.), for some type of final fight scene.

Here's my take, is that the 10 rings will have a lore, and Mandarin is someone that steeps himself in lore (thus the Anarchist CA shield on his neck). He will probably create a construct to create mechanical versions of the rings with all the powers (i.e. fire, ice, etc. etc.), for some type of final fight scene.

Now this I like. :up:

All i know is that the Mandarin fans will scream for joy and cheer yada yada when the 10 rings will show up in the movie. Whooo!

Just shooting from the hip here....

We know Tony will implant some sensors in his body to use for activating his armor. I don't think it will be as extreme as what happens in the Extremis comics but the "spirit" will be there.
Maybe this technology (sensors) will be implemented in each of the 10 rings. Mandarin uses the rings to summon various weapons?
Black says this IM will be more grounded, so I don't expect to see Harry Potter type stuff coming from Mandarin's fingers...

Is that Arabic writing on them? Is there anyone here that can read what they say? I imagine it's things like Flame, Ice, Electricity, etc.

Perhaps they are going in a similar route that "Iron Man Armored Adventures" did, in presenting the Machulan rings as ancient technology, which exceeds even Tony/Howard's highest tech, yet having existed thousands of years before.

From that angle, they could do the "no magic/alien tech" angle, and still have a mystical look to the effects.

Here's my thoughts

Tony's been resting since the events of the avengers. Once Mandrin comes back into play, tony thinks he's still got it when he obviously doesn't. Mandrin defeats him, using the power of the rings. Low and behold, tony must go back to the roots of the trilogy, and by training himself to fight stronger, faster, and better than before, implements extremis. Mandrin blows up his house, and tony comes back, goes after the rings, defeats Mandrin by knowing where his weak spot is now. Once he thinks it's over, the Maya Hansen twist comes into play, and Tony sacrifices himself in the marvel universe, leaving Rhodey the armor, and equipment to become the next...IRON MAN.

The magic rings thing doesn't fit with Iron Man in the universe we have set up, it'd be like a lazarus pit in TDKR. If anything Mandarin is just going to be tied in with the extremis tech and his rings won't be weapons themselves maybe more of just a symbol.

Doesn't fit?

We've just been introduced to monsters and magic and aliens. That whole concept of being a little grounded has been thrown out the window.

The magic rings thing doesn't fit with Iron Man in the universe we have set up, it'd be like a lazarus pit in TDKR. If anything Mandarin is just going to be tied in with the extremis tech and his rings won't be weapons themselves maybe more of just a symbol.

The only thing I don't like about the Extremis-powers-the-rings theory is that the concept of the Ten Rings obviously predates Extremis. We know from the comics that Killian is the one who develops Extremis; and I firmly believe that Mandarin has secret ties to Killian's company (which I also firmly believe is Advanced Idea Mechanics, which we've seen in set pics). Maybe Killian made prototype Extremis nano-weapons for Mandarin's rings?

The only thing I don't like about the Extremis-powers-the-rings theory is that the concept of the Ten Rings obviously predates Extremis. We know from the comics that Killian is the one who develops Extremis; and I firmly believe that Mandarin has secret ties to Killian's company (which I also firmly believe is Advanced Idea Mechanics, which we've seen in set pics). Maybe Killian made prototype Extremis nano-weapons for Mandarin's rings?

Personally I just think the rings aren't gonna have any special powers, theyre just going to be symbols. I just think it would look silly on the big screen have someone shooting lasers out of their rings given the very tech based Iron Man world.

The fact that the trailer shows a shot of them before we see his face leads me to believe that they will be important. However, both Shane Black and Kevin Feige said that Iron Man 3 will be more grounded and not have anything to do with aliens or magic. My question is, will the rings have offensive and/or defensive purposes like in the comics, or will they merely be for show as a nod to the fans and to symbolize the Ten Rings organization? I want to hear what you guys think
without the uses of magic, Mandarin is just some old dude... so I'd think if not magic, he has to be using some type of defensive tech to protect himself

They could be trying to be deceiving on purpose, but the rings don't look particularily magical or technological to me.

I'm also subscribing to the the theory that they're only meant to be symbolic, and maybe the Mandarin injects himself with the Extremis virus in order to go toe-to-toe with Iron Man.

Well, Feige just officially shot down any hint of magic or alien powers for the rings.

CBM reports from EW:

"Feige says we won’t get ice rays and fire beams from these rings, like in the comics, but what will we get? Smart money says they’re not just because the Mandarin has won a lot of Super Bowls."

"But this version of The Mandarin will not follow that same backstory, said Kevin Feige, the president of Marvel Studios. Don’t expect aliens."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"