That Guy With The Glasses II

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know, I know, but why did he check in only so recently?
When somebody's really hypomanic it can be hard for them to think that there's a problem.
Also, getting a psychiatric apointment can take weeks or months.

I told you guys....he wasn't being a dick he just has bipolar.

Absolutely not. Being Bipolar does not excuse someone for their actions. Bipolar is a mood disorder, not a self-control problem.

Absolutely not. Being Bipolar does not excuse someone for their actions. Bipolar is a mood disorder, not a self-control problem.
According to my research on the internet: Hypomania can cause involvement in activities that may have a high potential for negative psycho-social or physical consequences (e.g., the person engages in unrestrained buying sprees, sexual indiscretions, reckless driving, or foolish business investments)Also, Behavior that is out of character and risky, foolish or inappropriate may result from a loss of normal social restraint.

Once again, it does not excuse you from making rape jokes and being an awful human being. He does not get excused from that.

There's a difference between an explanation and an excuse. In this case, having bipolar disorder is the former, not the latter. I have a relative with bipolar disorder, and he's never sexually harassed a coworker.

No, and you're rather missing the point.

I don't think he is missing the point.

You're relative isn't Spoony, so they obviously may not react to their condition the same way.

Here's a few symptoms:
Poor judgment
Poor temper control
Reckless behavior and lack of self control
Very upset (agitated or irritated)

Plus others that describe what we've seen out of Spoony (on twitter and vlogs, at least)

Spoony could very well have been out of control, reacting out of anger with no forethought for the consequences (or, just simply no longer caring about them) during a manic state.

As odd as it is to say, I'm actually glad there was a condition behind his self-destruction. Does this completely excuse him? No, because we don't know how much was Spoony, and how much was his condition preventing him from just stepping back and taking the time to cool off.

I hope he gets treatments that work and we get the old Spoony back. I'd love for him to be able to rebuild some of his relationships with the other producers. Hell, I'd really love to see Spoony make a triumphant surprise return to CA during an anniversary in a couple years (ala Suede). But I obviously won't be holding my breath on that happening.

I'm rewatching spoony's let's play of Phantasmagoria 2 and the psychiatrist scenes are4 just....uncomfortable now.

Does this completely excuse him? No, because we don't know how much was Spoony, and how much was his condition preventing him from just stepping back and taking the time to cool off.

That was my point. I wasn't saying that all people with bipolar disorder behave the same. I was saying that having bipolar disorder doesn't necessarily excuse his actions.

My relative that I brought up as an example was my way of saying that sexually harassing co-workers isn't necessarily a symptom of being bipolar, not some statement about bipolar sufferers' behavior in general.

You know, I got out of the habit of writing longer posts a while back because I always felt like I was over-explaining myself, but I was clearly wrong.

Too bad he got fired. Spoony and Brad Jones are the only ones in the crew that makes reviews that are worth watching. The other ones are just crossreferencing eachother and messing about nowadays.

It looks like Spoony has calmed down a lot on Twitter now.

Well, he did get married. Maybe he doesn't want to juggle that and NC. Be sad if I'm right.

I'm not concerned.
Remember the My little Monster review?
Edit: Sorry, My PET Monster.

Last edited:
Unless he has suddenly come into a few million dollars, I don't think he will quit this cushy gig and go back to working a "real" job.

Well yeah, it certainly is too late, but it certainly is better late than never. I hope that someday Spoony will come back to Channel Awesome, but right now this is for the best.

I wish Spoony all the best in his recovery, but I agree this is for the best. He needs to take an extended break to focus on getting mentally healthy. His illness doesn't excuse what he's done, but it does explain it. I hope that once he's well he can mend his relationship with Channel Awesome and make a triumphant return. But it's clear that will take time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilAIS
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"