the 10 worst films of 2007

Also Planet Terror and Death Proof were both quite terrible.

you shouldve known what you were getting from the trailers....
the movies did what they were supposed to.

it has an 81% on RT:oldrazz:
.............92% by users

You could wrap a piece of **** with wrapping paper and say it's awesome, doesn't change the fact it's still a piece of ****.

that sentence had nothing to do with what i said :confused:

You could wrap a piece of **** with wrapping paper and say it's awesome, doesn't change the fact it's still a piece of ****.

You can also teach a Donkey to watch movies, doesnt necessarily mean he understands them.

Although I never seen Pirates 3, is it really that bad as everyone says?

Although I never seen Pirates 3, is it really that bad as everyone says?

I loved POTC, I was not happy with POTC 2 and thought it was a 3 hour trailer for POTC 3, so I was extremely excited about the 3rd being a huge Johnny Depp fan......and I was sorely disappointed in POTC 3.

The first was Depps movie, the second one sucked, the third was Knightley's movie with some scenes with Depp.....that is probably why I was disappointed.

I loved POTC, I was not happy with POTC 2 and thought it was a 3 hour trailer for POTC 3, so I was extremely excited about the 3rd being a huge Johnny Depp fan......and I was sorely disappointed in POTC 3.

The first was Depps movie, the second one sucked, the third was Knightley's movie with some scenes with Depp.....that is probably why I was disappointed.

Some actual discussion, hooray!

I liked the first POTC, and I was disappointed with the second one. So i'll just avoid the third one altogether. I think they never should have made sequels to POTC. But then again, this is hollywood.

Some actual discussion, hooray!

I liked the first POTC, and I was disappointed with the second one. So i'll just avoid the third one altogether. I think they never should have made sequels to POTC. But then again, this is hollywood.

Oh, I thought there was great potential for these sequels.....and I can't deny that the visuals, cgi, epic quality of the movies was all there......but in POTC 2 and 3, that just wasn't enough for me.

Oh, I thought there was great potential for these sequels.....and I can't deny that the visuals, cgi, epic quality of the movies was all there......but in POTC 2 and 3, that just wasn't enough for me.

Fair enough. I do agree about the visuals, they were truly astounding. But that simply cannot be enough. Oh well, you know Hollywood will probably Re-make the trilogy next year, anyways.

:oldrazz:

The problem with the Pirates sequels is that the makers allowed the popularity of Depp to takeover, and thus he became the central focus. Organically, the central character is Orlando Bloom's Will Turner, he is the one who goes on the hero's journey. But this is given backseat to Depp when Verbinski and co realised what was so popular about the first movie. Jack Sparrow does not have any character arc or development. Obviously he is 100x more enjoyable to watch than Bloom, but it's to the detriment of the story overall to focus on him instead of Turner.

Or, to explain it another way, imagine Star Wars, but with The Empire Strikes Back, Han becomes the main character and Luke is secondary.

The problem with the Pirates sequels is that the makers allowed the popularity of Depp to takeover, and thus he became the central focus. Organically, the central character is Orlando Bloom's Will Turner, he is the one who goes on the hero's journey. But this is given backseat to Depp when Verbinski and co realised what was so popular about the first movie. Jack Sparrow does not have any character arc or development.

Or, to explain it another way, imagine Star Wars, but with The Empire Strikes Back, Han becomes the main character and Luke is secondary.

I agree KR, it focused too much on Depp.

The problem with the Pirates sequels is that the makers allowed the popularity of Depp to takeover, and thus he became the central focus. Organically, the central character is Orlando Bloom's Will Turner, he is the one who goes on the hero's journey. But this is given backseat to Depp when Verbinski and co realised what was so popular about the first movie. Jack Sparrow does not have any character arc or development.

Hmmmm....I have to disagree.....YES Depp was the focus in the first movie, but as far as the 3rd.......that was Kiera movie.......(don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of hers)......but that's how I saw it.

I mean, they are called "Pirates......." 1, 2, and 3, and Depp was the main Pirate.....

It seemed to me that Pirates 1 was all about Depp, Pirates 2 all about Bloom, and Pirates 3 all about Knightly.........it would have been nice to have had a balance.....and I didn't see that in 2 and 3.

BUT THEN AGAIN.......I'm a Depp fan......so there could be some bias up there somewhere....lol

As I said earlier, I never did see POTC3. Where did it go wrong?

As I said earlier, I never did see POTC3. Where did it go wrong?

For me......?????

The whole sequence with Depp in "his hell" so to speak on a ship in the middle of a desert.......was just weird..........and it kind of went downhill from there.....

The opinion on TF is pretty split down the middle. There are people who enjoy the movie for what it is and there are a**holes who cant see past Shia Lebouf.

I actually thought Shia Labeuf was one of the movie's only saving graces. He was the only performer who I actually believed.

Anyways, here's my full writeup from my blog of my five worst (including the controversial Transformers.)

The Worst of '07
5) Transformers
A couple months before its release it had all the appearances of the most awe-inspiring, badass spectacle of the summer. I lined up for an hour to see it, psyched for a couple of hours of the type of action-packed wonder that only Hollywood can produce. Instead I was force-fed a cynical, wit-starved, behemoth of ugliness which joins fellow inductees Godzilla and Armageddon in underlining the worst that crass commercial filmmaking can create.

It's not only the insultingly lousy storyline and one-note characters that torment me however; it's the lack of joy and wonder. Every event in the film is perfunctory and uninspired. From endlessly dull fight scenes to lowest-common denominator comedy, Transformers left me feeling pissed off and a bit sad. Do people realize how much they are being ripped off with junk like this? Blockbusters were once marriages of wonderful storytelling and effects. Now, they are bombastic CG-reels that strip away the humanity of the whole experience. Films like this lead me to wonder if robots are behind the camera as well...

4) Wild Hogs
What happens if you make a comedy without a single laugh? Does it become a fascinating portrait of actors valiantly struggling with horrific material, or at least an intriguing train wreck? Turns out in this case the answer is neither. Wild Hogs is the most uncomfortable film experience of the year, a dead zone of audience pandering, ineptly staged hilarity, and forced performances that makes one's skin crawl.

It takes really bad talent to strip away the collective onscreen charisma of John Travolta, Martin Lawrence, Tim Allen and William H. Macy, but director Walt Becker manages the near impossible. Each actor, with special attention on Travolta, is something of an unlikable parody of their usual personas, and the effect is off-putting to say the least. There were lots of terrible comedies this year, but only this one had me frequently glancing at the countdown timer on the DVD player in exhausted frustration.

3) War
I would love to meet the rocket scientist who came up with the brilliant notion of creating an action movie around a feuding Jet Li and Jason Statham in which the two never really duke it out. Instead said genius attempted to wow the audience with an extremely tired mob story coupled with a laughably pathetic twist ending.

War is the rare instance of a modern action movie not understanding its own selling point. At least Transformers had giant robots. So, instead of an empty kinetic thrill, we get a curiously plodding cop/gangster drama with unimaginative martial arts scenes and frantic pursuits thrown in. The car "chase" in particular is hilarious in how poorly it is staged and edited. Statham, a once bright rising star in the action universe, is boring and one-dimensional and Li is just plain wasted. I never thought I'd grow nostalgic for The Transporter or Cradle 2 The Grave, but here we are.

2) Hannibal Rising
This was almost number one! Only through serious soul-searching did I come to the final decision to push this toothless cannibal thriller down to second place. It is amazing how badly this production manages to render one of the most fascinating on-screen villains of all time boring. Credit must go to young Gaspard Ulliel who is either a terrible actor or an extra who wandered onto the wrong set. He takes Anthony Hopkins quiet menace and turns it into whiny, emo foppishness.

The screenplay doesn't do Ulliel any favours, it must be said, as Hannibal's revenge quest in never anything other than campy. Rhys Ifans, as the chief villain, is often hilariously over-the-top and a stunning contrast to Ulliel's one-note flatness. Despite a promising Ulliel-free opening, we are treated to a dull two hours punctuated by bad laughs. I particularly enjoyed Hannibal's first encounter with his infamous restraining mask, as well as Gong Li's immortal line: "Memories are like a knife. They can hurt you." Indeed, and so can films like this on your resume.

1) The Number 23
I actually went into this one by coincidence. We couldn't get into the advance showing of Shooter, and Zodiac wasn't going to start for another hour, so this was our punishment. I think Jim Carrey is the tops. I've liked almost everything he's done. This one, however, was a truly stunning horror of a film in which every decision made was evidently wrong.

It's rare to see thrillers this poorly scripted and nonsensical not go straight-to-DVD, but I suppose with a pedigree like The Number 23 that wasn't going to happen. Instead, audiences were painfully exposed to a tired looking Carrey going through the motions of a plot that not even Gaspard Ulliel could take seriously. From the bizarre film-noir pieces, to the idiot ending, The Number 23 managed to create a vacuum of poor writing. The Angel of Death dog was a nice capper. I truly believe that a good film could be made on the basis of the number 23 numerological theory, but this film ain't it. With what is left, it is a failure on every conceivable level, and without a doubt the stupidest and most regrettable film-going experience of the year.

I hardly saw any of those films. I enjoyed most of the movies this year, but a few did disappoint me such as Rise of the Surfer, Spider-Man 3, and Pirates 3. I saw Ghost Rider in theaters and thought it was ok, after renting it and watching it again, it became pretty 'horrible.' But for me, two of the worst were Resident Evil 3 and Grindhouse. I did not even want to see either of these films as I completely hate gory zombie movies. I expected to like a few parts of Grindhouse, but I didn't. Death Proof was a total bore and Planet Terror was sickening. Resident Evil 3 was the same horrible stuff I thought it would be.

That's how I get my point across.

And that's how you get warned, infracted, probated and perma banned......:yay:

Not necessarily in that order....:yay:

I didn't see any of the movies on that list, the only movie i saw that truly stunk IMO, was Ghost Rider.

As for pirates, i think the main problem was pretty much nailed by Kevin, no matter what the title of the movie, story wise the central character was Bloom and he was to often sidelined, truth was Sparrow simply didn't have enough juice for 3 movies and by the 3rd he was a total parody. I thought DMC was pretty good if a tad long but the 3rd was terrible, bar Keira and the Maelstrom battle.

And that's how you get warned, infracted, probated and perma banned......:yay:

Not necessarily in that order....:yay:

You're seriously going to say that I'm going to get a probation for calling a troll a moron?

those who hate grindhouse must be 25 and under! these types of films were around in the 60's and 70's at theaters like the Metropolitan or affectionatly know as the Met here in Chicago. yes i'm showing my age (38) but these badly cut, silly films are childhood experiences for us old fogeys. sorry you whippersnappers! this was made for us old folks.

You're seriously going to say that I'm going to get a probation for calling a troll a moron?

Flexlicous, the dude isn't a troll, ive seen him around and he's ok, he made a passing statement and clarified after that what he was referring to, i.e. Shia hate..anyway, you and me talked TF the other day, we disagree as do you and Z, but hey that's all good, we didn't need to all throw insults and catch feelings did we ? i'm saying you just need to put your view smart and chill.

Uuummmmm.......uh?:huh:

No, don't believe I said that.........

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"