The Anonymous thread and my arguement for why it should be restored

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zenien

Reaction score
C. Lee said:
I moved it to the trashcan.

After I warned Wilhelm-Scream about his flaming of people because of their expressions of Christian beliefs...he said I would be showing bias if I didn't do anything about the people who were attacking Scientologists for their beliefs. I checked, and there was a thread were people were attacking them...so I closed and moved it.

Discussions and debate on subjects are always wanted and welcome....as long as they don't devolve into disrespectful and mean attacks upon people because they have opinions that differ from yours.

Hi C. Lee,

Respectfully, your assessment of the "Anonymous Declares War on Scientology" thread is inaccurate. Even if we ignore the fact that the "Anonymous/Scientology" dispute is in fact news and therefore viable to be talked about, no one in that thread was attacking Scientologists for their beliefs, and neither is the group known as Anonymous.

To the common Scientologists,
We are Anonymous.
You have seen our actions, both online and in your cities.
We do not threaten you, the people.
We threaten the lies, the corruption and the greed of the organization.
We have not acted upon a whim, but in outrage of the treatment of its followers...

You.
You have not been given freedom by these people.
They have restricted you.
There is a realm of the internet you have not dared to face,
because they said so, and because they have stopped you by technological means.
There are those who have left your community. (To the 'Freezone', a none profit independent branch of Scientology)
They have seen the facts behind the leader and the original intent of the religion.

Your religious beliefs are not wrong, like any other religion, and they are yours to keep.

However beliefs should not come at a price. Not from your wallet or compromising your thoughts.
Those who have left feel a new life, a rebirth into true freedom.
You can join them if you wish.
You may not believe us. We ask of you one thing:
Make up your own mind.
That is a sentence of more profound meaning for you now than at any other time in your life.

Visit the facts.
Make up your own mind.
You are not alone.

Their contention with Scientology are the leadership and corruption, the fact that they have a tax exemption status despite operating as a business, or their fair game policy that justifies lying, suing, or destroying any non Scientologist who speaks out against the church.

The purpose of the thread was never to attack their beliefs, and if any of that happened, it was in the distinct minority, not worthy of a thread delete, in my opinion.

Since it's not breaking any rules, and it isn't promoting religious hatred, I'd hope it would be restored. People should have a right to know about Operation Snow White (when Scientology, under the leadership, infiltrated and stole documents from the US Government in the largest infiltration in their history).

Even if the initial post does not promote hatred, posts within the thread did.

Except it doesn't. Unless reporting on real world events is promoting hatred. In fact the only hatred really present in that thread was people mocking the ones wanting to protest the human rights abuses, and typically issues like that are dealt with on a poster/mod basis. The entire thread isn't junked.

Tell that to the poster who complained about it. If even one person finds it offensive and their complaint is the slightest bit rational, we have an obligation to respond.

Except it doesn't. Unless reporting on real world events is promoting hatred. In fact the only hatred really present in that thread was people mocking the ones wanting to protest the human rights abuses, and typically issues like that are dealt with on a poster/mod basis. The entire thread isn't junked.

Actually....sometimes the entire thread is junked. You have already been told that if you want to start a new thread where this is discussed without the anti religious attacks in it...you can. It just has to stay civil.

Actually, I made this thread after you didn't get back to me.

Through had the mods actually responded to mod requests about people trolling the thread, it wouldn't have gotten to the point where you deemed it appropriate to be junked.

Also, the people who were trolling the thread had since left, having been shown wrong on many issues. The 'people being rude to each other potion had been totally resolved by the time C. Lee decided to lock the thread.

It would be nice for this new thread if you guys wouldn't actually not junk threads for no reason (and under false pretenses), that would be great.

I'll make a new one.

Thanks for you time.

Don't you have like 15 other Scientology threads? :huh:

2 tops and they weren't anything more than tertiary threads. The "anonymous declares war on Scientology" thread was really the thread with the momentum, not to mention that it was closed for no reason.

Really there's no reason to not just restore the old thread seeing as the issues from its inception were worked out fine, and maybe the mods would actually moderate it moving forward.

Tell that to the poster who complained about it. If even one person finds it offensive and their complaint is the slightest bit rational, we have an obligation to respond....

...rationally? :huh:

Why was my thread deleted? :whatever::down

Because it is being handled and right now it is attracting spam in a forum that is not met for such. I left a note in the washroom, but now you can have an infraction for spamming up another thread.

If you have issues with your profile, PM an admin, don't make a spectacle of yourself and continue to do so after your thread is deleted. Then again...how could you get the attention you so desperately crave if you do that?

Unfortunately there was no rational reason for that thread to be closed, since there was virtually no intolerance of religious beliefs happening, at all. Similarly the thread was not propagating religious hatred.

A lot of work went into that thread in the form of collecting referenced sources, etc, and it was deleted for a fallacy of a reason based on the complaints of a poster who didn't understand the thread in question. It would b a huge inconvenience to have to recreate the thread, seeing as all the compiled materials in the thread would have to be re-assembled.

Tell that to the poster who complained about it. If even one person finds it offensive and their complaint is the slightest bit rational, we have an obligation to respond.

One person gets offended therefore the thread is closed...

Here's a tip matt. Every topic of conversation, no matter how banal will offend SOMEONE

So just to clarify: The needs of the few outweigh the needs of the many :huh:

Hi C. Lee,

Respectfully, your assessment of the "Anonymous Declares War on Scientology" thread is inaccurate. Even if we ignore the fact that the "Anonymous/Scientology" dispute is in fact news and therefore viable to be talked about, no one in that thread was attacking Scientologists for their beliefs, and neither is the group known as Anonymous.

LAWL! No it's not. This is getting zero interest in any form of media except for some people like you posting about it on messageboards. It's not news at all.:huh:

Please do so, I want to see they widespread coverage these events are getting outside of the internet. Go on Hippy, show me videos from the morning news shows, and the evening news shows, and the frontpage headlines on the New York Times and The Post. Either way, don't they control the media? So they shouldn't even be talking about this at all.

Go to fark and carp in there, they love to bash it

Please do so, I want to see they widespread coverage these events are getting outside of the internet. Go on Hippy, show me videos from the morning news shows, and the evening news shows, and the frontpage headlines on the New York Times and The Post. Either way, don't they control the media? So they shouldn't even be talking about this at all.

1. They don't control the media and I never said they did. They have a LOT of influential people as member and love to dish out lawsuits but no they don't control the media

2. You'd be surprised how many people get the majority of their news online these days

3. NBC news: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSDBBNXH5CY
Central news (uk): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4BQdr0kHK8
CBC news: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxMO335rK1w
Bay News: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BN7M9iChi5U
Fox News: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MyiGae9nMI
WGN News: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMTV9e49WYM
CTV News: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ly6dBMHsl9g
WSB Channel 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqEf8rcPv9M

that's just from the first page of a youtube search on "anonymous scientology news"

My work here is done

Everyone here should know, especially those of us that have been here for a while, that if you create a thread on a serious topic, you should be prepared for the thread to go south and get closed. It's just the way of the Hype and always has been, especially when dealing with a subject as touchy as religion. And even moreso when it's about a religion/cult that people just love to hate. Honestly, you really should have expected this. So just run off to your other Scientology threads and talk of their diabolicism there. Or you could simply recreate the one in question since the mods were only complaining about the state of that thread, not about the topic.

Honestly, you really should have expected this. So just run off to your other Scientology threads and talk of their diabolicism there. Or you could simply recreate the one in question since the mods were only complaining about the state of that thread, not about the topic.

QFT

Another Anon-themed thread will pop up before March 15th (the next planned protest day) rolls around, so I'm not too concerned at this point.

Everyone here should know, especially those of us that have been here for a while, that if you create a thread on a serious topic, you should be prepared for the thread to go south and get closed.

Sorry X Chick, but the topic went south when mods didn't do anything about it or respond to requests, then it was fixed because the people trolling the thread left or were argued into submission and than they left. The thread was clearly done with any people trolling it. e|Even when the thread 'went south' the only person doing that was Whirlysplat. That does not warrant a thread close, because everyone was debating in a heated but civil manner.

I'm not even up in arms that thread is gone so much that the mods did nothing to respond to mod requests prior, and deleted now for no reason.

Actually, I made this thread after you didn't get back to me.
Actually....you made this thread BEFORE I got back to you...because,I did get back to you. I'm sorry that my taking care of a sick child held preference to me than posting here for a few hours.

Sorry X Chick, but the topic went south when mods didn't do anything about it or respond to requests, then it was fixed because the people trolling the thread left or were argued into submission and than they left. The thread was clearly done with any people trolling it. e|Even when the thread 'went south' the only person doing that was Whirlysplat. That does not warrant a thread close, because everyone was debating in a heated but civil manner.

I'm not even up in arms that thread is gone so much that the mods did nothing to respond to mod requests prior, and deleted now for no reason.

Here's the thing, you act like the mods only responsibility is to this forum. Like they live only to serve Mirko and SHH and that line of thinking is just absurd. They are humans who make mistakes and have lives, as shocking as it is, outside of internet. So really, let's not get our panties in a twist because they can't be their exactly when you need them.

As for the thread...well, it's just a thread. I don't see why anymore needs to be said.

I Pmed you

02-14-2008 Hey, 02:36 PM C. Lee, Malice

You responded

02-14-2008 Re: Hey,
09:57 PM C. Lee

I made this thread on

Yesterday, 09:36 PM

You chose to respond only after I made the thread? Eitherway, I hope your son/daughter/child is feeling better. :)

Actually....you made this thread BEFORE I got back to you...because,I did get back to you. I'm sorry that my taking care of a sick child held preference to me than posting here for a few hours.

Emotional blackmail FTW!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"