The Anti-Fan Service Thread

GhostPoet

Superhero
Reaction score
I realize this won't be the most popular thread. :) And I won't be surprised if my post is the one and only. but oh well.

I hate fan-service. I find it annoying and it really takes away from the characters. It's hard for me to respect a character that spends more time undressed then dressed. Overall, it's just obnoxious.

After watching anime that has little to no fan-service...you can really tell the difference between those that RESPECT the characters they create...and those that are there mainly for the T & A.

My current favorite anime with limited or no fan-service:

Air
Kanon
Xan'd
Aquarium

those are the most recent. How about any of you?

Gundam Wing doesn't provide a lot of fan service. No comment on more recent series.

Other good ones include Le Chevalier D'Eon, Last Exile, Tsubasa RC. Trinity Blood would also qualify in my opinion, as does Shakugan no Shana, Chrono Crusade and Stellvia.

And I do agree - fan service often occurs at the expense of characterisation. Only in a country where the legal age of consent is 13.

Still, Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex manages to hav fan service without compromising the characters (or at least, in my opinion).

I don't think fan service necessarily takes away from characterization, but I still don't like it. It can be funny at times, but in most cases, I would be kind of embarrassed if I was watching anime with someone who wasn't into it and a shameless fan service moment came on.

Gundam Wing doesn't provide a lot of fan service. No comment on more recent series.

Other good ones include Le Chevalier D'Eon, Last Exile, Tsubasa RC. Trinity Blood would also qualify in my opinion, as does Shakugan no Shana, Chrono Crusade and Stellvia.

And I do agree - fan service often occurs at the expense of characterisation. Only in a country where the legal age of consent is 13.

Still, Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex manages to hav fan service without compromising the characters (or at least, in my opinion).

Nice to see someone of like-mindedness!

and I agree, Ghost In the Shell is one of those series that has fan service, but doesn't destroy the character...maybe because a lot of the fan service is done in a bit more tasteful or at least more sophisticated way...not in the "OMG! Bouncy BOOBS!" way. :)

I know. However, the "Bouncy Boobs!" line of thought seems to be dominating the choices of my Uni anime society... which really sucks. (Not to mention all attempts at humour are supremely poor, random and really just plain "WTF?!").

Honestly, I'd prefer The Avengers' quickfire wit to any modern anime "comedy" (just try this on for size).

I realize this won't be the most popular thread. :) And I won't be surprised if my post is the one and only. but oh well.

I hate fan-service. I find it annoying and it really takes away from the characters. It's hard for me to respect a character that spends more time undressed then dressed. Overall, it's just obnoxious.

After watching anime that has little to no fan-service...you can really tell the difference between those that RESPECT the characters they create...and those that are there mainly for the T & A.

My current favorite anime with limited or no fan-service:

Air
Kanon
Xan'd
Aquarium

those are the most recent. How about any of you?

My personal opinion, in anime, there are different levels of fan service.

Air... is cutesy girl that cries all the ****ing time, fan-service. I hate stuff like that. It's probably why I watch mainly Shouned titles.

Oddly enough I stopped watching Tenjou tenge for this exact reason, yet play Dead or Alive in damn near celebration of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"