The Batman - 408 - Seconds

Binker

Superhero
Reaction score
Seconds

PLOT:
After a seemingly ordinary criminal continues to get the better of Batman and his partners it is discovered that he has the ability to travel back in time by several seconds. Batman is now faced with the seemingly impossible task of stopping a foe that knows his every move before even Batman himself does.

REVIEW:
For The Batman, the objective for the entire show, as said by Duane Capizzi in an interview, was to present the show's Batman and the stories in a way that it would be like Detective Comics. However like Detective Comics, and Batman: The Animated Series I'd might add, the stories can add a bit or alot of fantasy and beyond to "spice things up". Villians like Mr. Freeze and Clayface are examples of that. And BTAS had one episode where it was about stopping or speeding time. But if presented right, people will buy it. Seconds is a big example.

The story of Seconds is like this. Christmas is over and New Year's is fast approaching. Bruce, Dick, Barbara & Alfred are at the manor just like a family. An alarm goes off and Batman goes to investigate at Gotham Chemical. There, he meets Francis Grey, our villian. While he does get hit, he is able to play with time in order to anticipate moves. He does this alot at the same battle. Later, Batman feels that he had fough him before. After knowning our villian's origin in flashback, it is revealed Francis will use chemicals in his plan. On that note, I'll stop.

First thing's first: this episode was dark. Dark like TNBA yet it felt darker than TB has ever been. Its prolly the main reason why this episode, while it was set on christmas, wasn't aired IN the christmas season. Just like TNBA episode "Over the Edge", this episode is through a nightmare scenario that can be undone by the end. But unlike "Over the Edge", it happens in the real world. A big difference that makes the episode not a rip off of another one. How is this dark? Well for starters: Batman, Batgirl, Robin, and indeed all of Gotham City perish at the hands of either the chief antagonist or nerve gas. While it may seem like, for example, Robin doesn't die at first. You really have to think about electricity and the look of Robin after being hit.

This episode offers one sci fi element: time travel. At first I thought this guy was actually The Clock King, but he is and isn't. He isn't any of The Clock King's from the comics. But he still is, kinda like a modern version. A cross between someone created for the show and someone who actually exists in the comics. This guy is Francis Grey. He is still referred to as The Clock King though. This guy got to where he is by proving he can make one mistake that in turn causes a series of accidents. And because of that, he went to prison for 17 years. All this was because of bills and his son. And I know bills can make anyone go nuts and since this is a Batman show, he has to become a villian. Him controlling time isn't a machine like The Clock King used in BTAS, but a superpower. How he got it reminds me of the characters from Heroes in which it just happens. I wonder if this is the first for the metahumans of the DCU (which would explain it since we know what will happen in season 4's finaly and season 5).

Overall, this episode was dark and in turn this season gives and delivers what makes Batman great: good stories. The sci fi element of him controlling time was a nice touch. The action scenes were done well and the Batman Family worked well, with teamwork here, jokes there, all good. Speaking of family, they were that like in the beginning when Barbara is watching Dick play a game which she got him for christmas while Bruce is reading the paper. You get the sense that this is an actual family. And in no way is that a problem. As for our villian, we won't see him again. The way it ended had another deja vu, or the character of Francis anyway. What was it.......I'l go with "Its a Wonderful Life".

Rating: 8/10

This single episode revived the show for me. After they took away the theme song I was afraid I would never be able to like the show.

We finally were thrown a villain with an interesting motive. A guy we can all relate to. That was a major plus.

This might be the darkest episode yet... and also the most touching.

This episode introduces us to Francis Grey, a loser who gets time-manipulating powers to commit robberies. At first, he seems like a simple criminal, but as the episode continues, he has a much deep motive. Liked how the writers were poking fun of themselves in Francis' quips.

Batgirl got beaten to death a la Jason Todd, Robin got electrocuted until dying, and Batman, Matt Grey, and the rest of the city died from poison. Plus the drama following our villain make the episode very dark, even if Francis fixes all of it. In the end, Francis Grey manages to do what others couldn't: kill The Batman. But he chose to undo all of it.

The only problem in this episode is how Francis got his powers. Don't see how 17 years of an insane obsession over clocks and time can give you powers. Which reminds me, should he be considered The Batman's Clock King?

5/5

NEXT WEEK: Batman confronts The Riddler, and both end up uncovering the biggest riddle of them all: What caused Riddler's obsession with Batman?

This might be the darkest episode yet... and also the most touching.
Let's hope they can keep it up.:D

Batgirl got beaten to death a la Jason Todd, Robin got electrocuted until dying, and Batman, Matt Grey, and the rest of the city died from poison. Plus the drama following our villain make the episode very dark, even if Francis fixes all of it. In the end, Francis Grey manages to do what others couldn't: kill The Batman. But he chose to undo all of it.
He was a pretty impressive villian too bad they won't be able to use him more. It's cool that he managed to finally destroy Batman and what he stands for but gave it all up to start over.

The only problem in this episode is how Francis got his powers. Don't see how 17 years of an insane obsession over clocks and time can give you powers. Which reminds me, should he be considered The Batman's Clock King?
Shhhhhhhh!:csad: And yes;)

It's official; whatever the writers were on in previous seasons has officially worn off, because Season 4 is heads-and-tails the BEST season of THE BATMAN. Not one episode has been a dud, or even mediocre, and that included a Penguin team-up episode for heaven's sake. Maybe the writers finally have some network pressure eased as the show has lasted 4 seasons, and the network has both Batgirl & Robin sharing the screen, and their teen-obsession meter is happy (least until they want Spoiler or something; SHHH!). This episode, "Seconds", aired ahead of it's placement order but it doesn't seem to be a problem; unlike LOSH or to some degree TEEN TITANS, THE BATMAN's continuity is loose at best and relies mostly on standalones and sequals to standalones, much like the last Bat-series. This episode presents a rarity for this show; a villian whose entire origin and motive is clearly explained, and the villian has some sympathy. Francis Grey is also the second "villian" in this season to not be a garish "freak", the first being Mark Hamill's Tony Zucco. This is good, because even with all the mobsters gone (or in hiding) since Season 1, you don't want to overdo the freaks, especially Penguin & Joker (who, to be fair, were the most used rogues even in B:TAS/TNGA).

We are presented with what seems to be a generic sort of situation; the "Bat family" is enjoying the holiday when they have to respond to a series of chemical thefts in Gotham; Batman confronts not Joker but a silver haired, pudgy man who makes odd puns. But this man is sort of like a twisted Hiro from HEROES; he has the power to turn back time, and thus can simply "rewind", avoid any mistakes, and perfectly escape. Even Batman is unable to stop him, although seeing Grey constantly react to his "do-overs" was funny. As usual, Robin comes off very strongly, and it has become official that the writers simply cannot write Batgirl without her seeming both annoying and arrogant. I was never a huge fan of Batgirl but I never recall her being this insolent. It's not her VA, it's just her lines. She makes Terry McGinnis in Season One of BEYOND look humble and respectful, and he was a semi juvenile delinquent, not the kid of the commish (and while I liked Terry and BEYOND, there were plenty of times he needed a backhand). She and Beast Boy are like peas in a pod. The fact that many of her episodes in Season 3 floundered is proof, and at least we have a well written & acted Robin to counteract that.

The episode has a sympathetic villian in Grey; not a wicked mastermind, he simply was a hardworking clock-repairman who couldn't make the bills with a newborn son entering the picture, and desperately decided to steal a rare watch. In escaping, he accidentally caused a vehicular crash and even a gas tanker to explode, which caused him to be sent (perhaps unfairly, as he argued) to the clink for 17 years, by then his wife left him and he never saw his now-teenage son again. In a way he is simular to B:TAS' Clock King, who was also presented as a sympathetic figure (CK was merely an anal, neurotic man until he took Tilton's advice to spend lunch in a park, and some misadventures made him late for a key court case, starting his vengence drive and road to crime). However, while Clock King originally limited his vengence to Gotham's mayor, Grey wants revenge on the entire city. The one biggest bit to swallow is the explaination that simply being a clockmaker who became "obsessed" with clocks & time for years in jail allowed him to be able to manipulate it. But then again, this IS the DC universe were plenty of wonky stuff is possible, whether Dracula being real or Spellbinder doing his thing.

There are some great fight sequences amidst the action as Batman, perhaps through his own mental conditioning, actually "feels" Grey's shifts via senses of "deje vu" (or maybe he just saw the movie), and quickly realizes that it is almost impossible to defeat Grey in a fight. My one beef; why couldn't he be TKO'd with one blow? I've seen far bigger men than him unable to take more than one attack from Batman. True, plot convience, but worth noting. Anyway, the final sequence was very dark, one of the darkest in the whole show, as his gas bomb goes off and Batman, Robin, and even his son succumb to it, which "shocks" him enough to finally be able to "go back" 17 years to alter his own mistake (thanks to Batman, he finally accepted responsibility for his action; HE started that chain of events by stealing). It was good, as usual, seeing an adventure where Batman needs brains to prevail, as he knew reason was the only way out. Plus, while it is sometimes forgotten, Batman is a man who isn't against criminals being rehabilitated and probably wishes it'd happen more often; after all he keeps trying with Ethan.

A very strong, one-shot episode to what has easily become the show's best season. Next week promises the Riddler, and I can only hope what this season can do for him, as he came off well back in Season 2 (which was also the last time he had an episode).

There are some great fight sequences amidst the action as Batman, perhaps through his own mental conditioning, actually "feels" Grey's shifts via senses of "deje vu" (or maybe he just saw the movie), and quickly realizes that it is almost impossible to defeat Grey in a fight.
That part reminded me a lot of Batman's delusion in the JLA issues when he was being held by the Key. Because he was so highly trained he knew it wasn't his body.;) The same thing happened here, he's so trained that he knows when somethings happening.

IMO this was the best episode of the whole series. Very dark and mature and I can't believe they
killed batman

what gives?! has paul dini started writting the batman? AWESOME episode, season four is so much better than previous seasons its like they have new writers. weird :wow:

this is why I like batman so much, he uses his BRAIN to figure stuff out as much as his brawn. pity the 'clock king' is no more awesome villian.

what gives?! has paul dini started writting the batman? AWESOME episode, season four is so much better than previous seasons its like they have new writers. weird :wow:

this is why I like batman so much, he uses his BRAIN to figure stuff out as much as his brawn. pity the 'clock king' is no more awesome villian.
Maybe his son will be diagnosed with some disease and he returns to his evil ways.

Maybe his son will be diagnosed with some disease and he returns to his evil ways.

my take was he pushes back time past the point where he attains the power, I don't think he remembers anything past the watch theft as technically it has happened.

hope I'm wrong though, classic villian - 'left jab, right kick...'

I only had one problem with this episode, I wish they had some sort of extended fighting scene with the clock king with him completely bettering everything that had happened.

The ending was genius, never before have we seen a villain's redemption like that on animation...

it definitely caught me unexpected as i though bat's deja vu would finally manage to take him out...

wow, i wished they had shown this one after strange new world, artifacts has been the weakest link out of the three new episodes....

jesus, this show is quite clearly beating the last series of JLU when it comes to quality.

I only had one problem with this episode, I wish they had some sort of extended fighting scene with the clock king with him completely bettering everything that had happened.
I thought it was decent length, don't wanna see them overdo, maybe more fights would've been nicer.

wow, i wished they had shown this one after strange new world, artifacts has been the weakest link out of the three new episodes....
Yea Artifcts missed a great oppurtunity,:(

jesus, this show is quite clearly beating the last series of JLU when it comes to quality.
Woah woah woah! Hold up on that statement.:wow:

i am legion
shadow of the hawk
chaos at earth's core
to another shore
dead reckoning
patriot act
far from home
destroyer

are all in my opinion worse than the quality of episodes and continuty we've gotten from The batman from

deat in the family
team penguin
strange new world
seconds
glimmers of artifacts
everywhere man
and definitely
clayfaces

i'd say the breakout storywise is probably the weakest link but it did help build robin and do some damage limitation on batgirl.

feel free to dispute these points, the last season of JLU was kinda a joke. very few eps that showed real quality. Only really enjoyed

great brain robbery, grudge match, ancient times and alive.

I enjoyed the episode, but I guess I'm vaguely disappointed at the (apparent?) lack of a rationale for his temporal-warp power. Was he a mutant? He wasn't a scientist studying "the butterfly effect"; he wasn't a student of magic/mysticism.. it just kind of "happened" for him.. eh..

it was HIRO! and evil white 70's style hiro!

is it the next episode they bring in Harley?

dude Patriot Act was like my favortie episode ever. Shining Knight...er shined.

The last season of JLU wasn't it's best (artistically, they peaked with EPILOGUE), but I still enjoyed it and it was still the most "adult" superhero cartoon on TV.

I enjoyed the episode, but I guess I'm vaguely disappointed at the (apparent?) lack of a rationale for his temporal-warp power. Was he a mutant? He wasn't a scientist studying "the butterfly effect"; he wasn't a student of magic/mysticism.. it just kind of "happened" for him.. eh..
latent mutant ability....

it's nice to know not everything is merely a coincidence or accidental. The fact that he was working in a clock shop shows that his inner compas was going to draw him to this ability of his sooner or later.

The last season of JLU wasn't it's best (artistically, they peaked with EPILOGUE), but I still enjoyed it and it was still the most "adult" superhero cartoon on TV.

erm, I guess I agree nothing is going to top the cadmus arch that movie quality.

this season is amazing but not THAT amazing :wow:
:confused:

i've seen better arcs in x-men evolution, spiderman, hulk and x-men than i have in the last season of justice league.

maybe because it seemed to outshine everything else that was around at the time but the last season of jlu was fairly non-eventful with each ep being a notorious filler or neatly tieing up ends with a very rushed and poorly carried out season finale.

it was nowher near the awesomeness that was season 2, heck not even some first series justice league.

I thought this episode was fantastic.....this new version of the clock king although to far fetch for the batman, using is mind instead of a device like the clock king on the TAS...but this clock king although powerful, Bats was able to kick some sense into him buy using what he lost and used it to help him...very cool episode...along with strange world...this is another classic episode....

latent mutant ability....

it's nice to know not everything is merely a coincidence or accidental. The fact that he was working in a clock shop shows that his inner compas was going to draw him to this ability of his sooner or later.

In DC, they're called "metahumans", not mutants. And while Grey's power is a bit wonky, in the DCU, "metahumans" can essentially be as wide or diverse as Marvel's mutants (the 2005 series BLOODHOUND explored it). Killer Croc is a metahuman, too; he was born that way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"