Drama The Bear (HULU/FX)

Always seemed like a dramedy to me.

Like Weeds.

Like Breaking Bad as well.

QJ9xBM8.gif

The “FX on Hulu” deal has always been so strange to me. Like, at least the HBO stuff that’s on Max still actually airs on HBO. I’ve always wondered if people on the FX side of things were miffed about so much of their product going straight to streaming.

The “FX on Hulu” deal has always been so strange to me. Like, at least the HBO stuff that’s on Max still actually airs on HBO. I’ve always wondered if people on the FX side of things were miffed about so much of their product going straight to streaming.
Yeah, that name is still very weird to me. Just call them Hulu originals, I say. At least with HBO Max, when something is a Max Exclusive, you know that up front. You don't watch House of the Dragon thinking it's only available via streaming. But shows like this, Mrs. America, Under the Banner of Heaven and countless other series that would play great on FX have that "FX on Hulu" label.

It's really semantics at the end of the day but FX Networks and Hulu are separate corporate subsidiaries under 20th Century Studios/Disney. And the reason why The Bear gets the "FX on Hulu" label is because it's made by FX Productions as opposed to Only Murders in the Building where 20th Television made that show and it gets the "Hulu Original" label.

I know this is probably far fetched but of all the Instagram chefs on right now, I would love to see Olivia Tiedemann show up on the show. Her vibe matches the show pretty well.

See, I don’t care for the premise that it’s not a comedy just because it tackles serious themes. Themes don’t determine genre.

I contend that it’s not a comedy because the ratio of serious moments to funny moments in the show is like 5 to 1.

Having watched the first season on FX, finally, I can say that I see why this show gets so much praise. It's like literally being placed in the middle of a kitchen where nothing goes right. Think Hell's Kitchen, but not as nice looking! I thought going in that the episodes would be an hour long, so I was surprised to see that episodes were only around the 30 minute mark. It flies by so fast, but I want to think that was a decision by design because it makes everything feel more frantic. That second-to-last episode where it seemed like absolutely nothing went right was the peak of the season for me. Also, those cameo appearances? Molly Ringwald was one thing, but I didn't expect to see Jeff Winger of all people make your blood boil in just a few seconds! Also, it's nice that while some of the folks may come off as unlikable based on their demeanor, they're not necessarily bad people- just very very tormented.

I do hope that FX, at some point, airs future seasons on the network. Maybe it won't happen and this first season airing on TV was a tease to entice people to get on the Hulu train. I greatly enjoyed what I watched...and it made me incredibly hungry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunStorm333
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"