The Biggest Band In The World?

akut401

Superhero
Reaction score
I was just reading the new Rolling Stone that came in the mail, and in the article on Coldplay, Chris Martin tells a story in which Dave Grohl pretty much tells him Coldplay is the biggest band in the world...that got me thinking; who would you consider the biggest band in the world? Does it flucuate depending on a new album coming out, or maybe a scandal? Does being the biggest band in the world some 30-40 years ago (The Rolling Stones for example) somehow give you some "reserved seating" if youre still kicking some decades later? Does your taste in music make it more subjective, or is it more of a straight answer that people hate to admit (i know some people who would still say KISS is the biggest band in the world)? Whos number 1? in the top 3? 5? 10? Discuss.

by the way, id go with U2.

I'd probably say U2....(though, Bono himself said he would rather relinquish that title to bands like Radiohead or Pearl Jam, but they didn't want the mantle. Read that in an interview with Bono) Hence, why U2 is the biggest band in the world right now...they'll have it as long as they are together. Or a band talented enough to want it, takes it. Though, I don't see any 'new' band doing that any time soon.

It's hard to say. My only nominations would be bands that have stood the test of time and still sell out stadiums. KISS, Aerosmith, Rolling Stones, U2, and AC/DC are all right there together.

Beatles maybe? They aren't still together, but EVERYONE knows them. But I guess the same could be said for Rolling Stones, Kiss, and Metallica in their hayday.

First band that comes to mind is U2.

Well im speaking about the present day. I totally see where youre coming from though, husker...Certainly the biggest of all time, and more people probably listen the beatles in a given day then any other band in the world, but it has been about 30 years since theyve been together; thats kind of hard to see that the most popular band at the moment hasnt performed in that long.

so nobody thinks the Coldplay opinion is correct? Id love to hear what some guys from over the pond would say...

There's a certain point where a band transcends music and becomes an entity. Their name becomes a brand that is recognizable whether you're a fan or not. I think this honestly belongs to the Rolling Stones and KISS. They can go anywhere on Earth and sell as many tickets they want in any language. The can put their faces on a shirt and make millions. For the Stones, all you need are the lips. They are staples in pop culture and symbolize periods in time rather than songs.

its U2 obvously

akut401 said:
Well im speaking about the present day. I totally see where youre coming from though, husker...Certainly the biggest of all time, and more people probably listen the beatles in a given day then any other band in the world, but it has been about 30 years since theyve been together; thats kind of hard to see that the most popular band at the moment hasnt performed in that long.

so nobody thinks the Coldplay opinion is correct? Id love to hear what some guys from over the pond would say...

With that in mind I'd have to go with the crowd so far, Rolling Stones/Kiss/U2.

Definitely not Coldplay.

well the biggest band now.. I have no idea.

but in my opinion the biggest band of all time.. has to be the beatles.

WHen they celebrate the first time you were televised.. you can't get any bigger. John Lennon's story is on Broadway now... it's just massive.

coldplay are up there, as well as metallica, bruce springsteen, foo fighters, and especially recently, green day. though i'd say U2 owns the title. for this, i'm going off of bands that are both commercially (uber succesful succesful albums, singles, and tours) and critically popular now, and didn't just get their big break in the last year or so (coldplay have been getting to this position ever since 'rush of blood' got big).

Does it have to be a band cause Michael Jackson and Madonna are pretty popular.

Definitely, The Beatles are the biggest band the world has ever seen! Yep, I have to agree with Comic Book Boy. Dead or Alive! As a matter of fact, they will always be. Bands today just do not have the talent of the Fab Four. John Lennon and Paul McCartney were the master minds of the music world. Furthermore, they will never really be dead because their music will live on forever!

the biggest selling musician of all time is the Beatles. Second biggest is Michael Jackson, but if you combine Michael's solo stuff, and his Jackson 5 stuff then he has sold more than the beatles or anybody else alive.

And don't forget that the biggest selling album of all time is Thriller.

The biggest music DVD selling artist of all time? Michael Jackson. His music DVDs have sold like 10 million copies in the last couple years.

The biggest selling tours of all time? The 3 highest grossing tours of all time are Michael Jackson's in the following order History, Dangerous, and Bad.

so really the biggest artist of all time is Michael Jackson, and even today on a globabl scale he is still extremely huge, and his next album will still probably be one of the biggest of all time.

I don't think Coldplay come anywhere close as being one of the biggest bands, but then again, am probably biased because I think they're awful. As are U2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"