The Boughtinest/Thoughtinest, June 8thinest Thread You Ever Did See! (Spoilers)

TheCorpulent1

SHAZAM!
Reaction score
Journey into Mystery: Another stellar issue from Gillen and Braithwaite. Volstagg gets a few great moments here, reminding us that he is 1) not incompetent, 2) not a total blowhard, 3) a devoted and loving father, and 4) an old, old friend of both Thor and Loki going all the way back to their childhood. Li'l Loki's master plan to save Asgard, Thor, Odin, and everything else rolls along, this time taking him to the infernal realms to reclaim the Disir. Tyr shows up unexpectedly as Hela's right-hand man after having died at the end of "The Worldeaters." Above all, I think I most enjoy how Loki, even as a child, is so clever that he wins would-be nemeses over into allies in spite of themselves. Tyr finds himself going from wanting to kill Loki to being in league with him before too long because whatever else he may be, Loki is extraordinarily cunning. Loki himself seems to be treating the whole thing as one big adventure, just as any kid would. This series acts as a great complement to The Mighty Thor; where Thor is all force and fury, Loki is subtle and cunning, and their respective series follow their central traits, showing us two perspectives on Asgard and its characters.

Who Is Jake Ellis? was awesome this week. Jon breaks into the new facility of the people who installed Jake into his mind, only to find a file on one Jake Ellis. CLIFFHANGER! Very intrigued to find out what that means for both Jake and Jon in the final issue. Also, Tonci Zonjic's art is amazing.

Who Is Jake Ellis? was awesome this week. Jon breaks into the new facility of the people who installed Jake into his mind, only to find a file on one Jake Ellis. CLIFFHANGER! Very intrigued to find out what that means for both Jake and Jon in the final issue. Also, Tonci Zonjic's art is amazing.

That was actually last week's issue, but yeah, I've really been enjoying the series. I'm not sure what kind of potential it'll have as an ongoing, but I'm willing to stick around.

You shut up, you! It's this week's issue to me because I just got it in the mail! :cmad:

I can't help if you're lagging in the past, yo.

HeavyInk needs to start shipping me stuff earlier. Rob Diamond's warehouses, HeavyInk staff! DOOOO IT! :cmad:

Thanks for starting this, Corp. I was hoping someone did; because, even though I've only read four of my comics so far, I had to shout how great one of them was.

Fear Itself: Deadpool #1

Nope...this isn't the one. Oh, boy, has the Deadpool franchise gotten boring. I still have 3 or 4 issues to read of the already cancelled Deadpool Corps...not to mention, the same amount for Deadpool Team-Up...and, this week I finally caught up on Way's regular Deadpool title, reading the last 8 issues (and 1 Annual) this past weekend. Those Way issues were tough to get through. The book has gone way downhill, and I'm desperate for Marvel to move Way onto something else. (Thankfully, his Astonishing X-Men is fresh and fun. Seriously, I don't know how many times I can recommend that book.)

Hastings, sadly, does no better with 'Pool than Way's been doing. This is not even that much of a Fear Itself tie-in, as Wade decides (for some strange reason I don't understand) to make a fake hammer, and tries to con The Walrus into believing it's the same type that are giving other villians their augmented powers. The jokes aren't funny, which is probably what hurts this book the most. At least Marvel is only charging $2.99 for it. :dry::csad:

Ghost Rider #0.1

Not bad...but, forgettable. In this introduction, Johnny explains why he turns into Ghost Rider for those who have lived in a Marvel bubble most of their lives...and, we get a lackluster story that serves to separate Johnny from Zarathos by the end of the issue. It doesn't make me beg to read the next issue; but, we'll see. Maybe things will pick up with issue #1.

A mild :yay:.

Ultimate Spider-Man #159

Now, THIS is the book I had to brag about! Bendis might have just written his best action scene in this series EVER. Spidey battles most of the Sinister Six, as the world finally gets alerted to Spidey's true identity. (People with cell phones capture him without his mask..which, makes me think that the "death of Spider-Man" might happen to keep Peter and his family safe. We'll see.) A great battle...Aunt May with a revolver, killing (maybe) one of the Six...and, a final page that has readers DYING for the next issue to come as fast as possible!

Not sure if another comic this week will make me so excited, but for the first time in a couple weeks, I'm giving a comic my top grade: :woot:.

X-Men Legacy #250

Yeah, this baby is overpriced, with the main story being 31 pages in length, and Marvel giving us a classic New Mutants appearance by Legion in the second part of the book. Still, for me, it was worth it. Age Of X has been more fondly remembered after seeing how Carey is encorporating that mini-event into his future storylines. I also enjoy the evolution of Carey's book, as it started out a couple years back as being Xavier-heavy. Later, Rogue took center stage; and, now it's progressed as being told from Legion's standpoint. In this way, the book never feels stagnant. Plus, Legion has never been so interesting.

In this issue, Legion and company (Magneto, Xavier, Rogue, Frenzy, and Gambit) go in search of six entities that have escaped Legion's psyche. These are dangerous beings; and, this issue devotes itself to the capture of Time-Sink. About the only problem I had with this book is a) trying to figure out how the battle with Time-Sink really happens, as he's supposedly jumping around in time...even though the story is told in a linear fashion; and, b) trying to come to terms with how split personalities in Legion's mind can become physical entities in the 616. Well, if he can create new realities, I guess I just need to accept this is possible. Either way, Carey is telling a pretty good story; and, this team of many ex-villians works very well together.

Another very good X-title. Someone, still pinch me please! This really is the Year Of The X. :yay::yay:

That was actually last week's issue, but yeah, I've really been enjoying the series. I'm not sure what kind of potential it'll have as an ongoing, but I'm willing to stick around.

I'm not sure of a series potential either.

And, yeah, Corp. You are SO last week!!! That's not so bad, though. The ladies tell me you're usually premature. :oldrazz:

And, yeah, Corp. You are SO last week!!! That's not so bad, though. The ladies tell me you're usually premature. :oldrazz:

He wouldn't be if he laid off the cheesey Doritos more often... :oldrazz:

:yay:

I'll have you know that I am not a fan of Doritos. I take my chips American, barbecue-style. :argh:

Echo #30

The final issue of a fantastic series. Normally, this book does tend to crawl at a snail's pace; because, for Terry Moore, characterization is just as (if not more) important as the actual story. For that reason, this issue felt a bit rushed. I was hoping for extra pages; but, I think it's the normal amount. That hurts this finale, as SOOOO many answers are left in the end. Did Vijay die? And, if so, what was the purpose of jumping to his death? How did Ivy get back to her original age so quickly?? What happened to the compound, and will we see these characters again???

Still, even with all the questions, this is a very adequate conclusion. Could it have been tighter? Yes, but I've read much worse conclusions to major storylines. :yay:

Deadpool #38

Whereas I've been critical of this book lately, I will say these past two issues have been better than most. In it, Deadpool is trying to get himself killed, just so he can be with Death (yeah, very Thanos of him); so, what better way than to peeve off Hulk? It's a quick read; but, entertaining. In the end, it seems like Wade will get his wish...except, the final scene shows that he's led Hulk to a daycare facility. Oh oh! :yay:

Supreme Power #1

Not as enjoyable as the first series; but, much better than the last one that came out that had Ultimate Nick Fury in it. In this, the U.S. is going after countries that are "harboring superhumans," just as our country speaks against third world countries that have nuclear weapons. Doctor Spectrum is the U.S.'s defense; but, the crystal in his hand seems to be taking over. In the end of this issue, it's discovered Mark Milton (Supreme) is still on Earth, hiding away from everyone. Too bad, because the military is now aware.

A good start to this 4 issue mini. :yay:

Annihilators' final issue was pretty good. The ending was a bit of a cliché, with the whole "warring societies are forced to live in harmony" thing, but otherwise I enjoyed it. Quasar had me worried that he'd whine and feel as insecure as Phyla for a while, but the ending made it clear that this series was supposed to be about him overcoming those feelings of inadequacy. I'm looking forward to whatever it is that brings them to Earth in Earthfall and finding out just what Quasar is supposed to be necessary for in the future. I'm a little wary about what the cosmic heroes coming to Earth means for the cosmic line, but it strikes me that "the cosmic line" actually consists entirely of this one mini-series right now, so I guess it's already kind of gone. :csad:

The Rocket/Groot story was also pretty great. I like the sense of humor that the story had because it worked well within the confines of the story as a whole rather than overwhelming it. This wasn't a "comedy story," it just had a lot of funny moments and a lighthearted tone. The ending, with Groot and Rocky committing to keep Star-Lord's dream for the Guardians alive as their own little team, is just what I was hoping for. The Annihilators are all well and good, but the Guardians' had a certain charm they lacked from being comparatively low-power. Groot and Rocky could live up to that as a cosmic dynamic duo.

Mystery Men #1

Very good first issue! This is what Marvel Noir should have been, not just some lame What If? type stories featuring current 616 characters. Set in the early 30's, The Operative is a Bruce Wayne-type character, whose girlfriend is murdered by a man named The General. (He has the ability to make women...possibly men, too...see what they want to see. While his face is almost liken to a gray version of The Red Skull, the ladies perceive him to be a very attractive gentleman.) Another superhero, The Revenant, saves The Operative's life twice, and at issue's end, suggests a team-up.

Easily, a recommended book, especially with the low $2.99 price. :yay::yay:

Hulk-Sized Mini-Marvels One-Shot

At first, I saw the cover with Loeb's name, and thought, "Is this what he's doing now??" Nope, it's Audrey Loeb, the daughter of Jeph Loeb. We've all seen these minis at the end of many a Marvel comic; and, while cute, you never bust out laughing. It's still a deal, though. With no adds, the book is 32 pages in length for only $2.99. Good for young kids without breaking a parent's wallet.

For me, though, I cannot forgive the bland, tired Hulk colored jokes. :dry:

15 Love #1

Now, this series comes out of nowhere! It's a manga-style book about teenage tennis. High priced ($4.99), you get 45 pages of material that reads rather quickly. The art and dialogue is adequate enough, especially with it being aimed at pre-teen to young teens..and, even I found myself somewhat interested in the story.

It's about a young girl who's the bottom of her class at her tennis school. In fact, she's been in the bottom for the last eight months, and is going to be expelled if she doesn't win her next game. Step in a trainer who wants to be hired by her (very slobby, with a Bill Murray type of personality...or, Bill Murray when he was younger, like in Caddyshack), and promises to do better than her current coach. By issue's end, things don't get any better.

What can I say, but at least it's something different. Maybe that's why I enjoyed it more than I should have. Still, I'm giving the book a solid :yay:.

Green Lantern Movie Prequel: Kilowag One-Shot

A good promotional piece for the upcoming Green Lantern movie. It's better than the regular Green Lantern titles in one regard, too. We finally get an issue devoted to Lanterns that don't come from Earth!

One note, for the second week in a row, DC puts a filler in the middle of their books, making them feel a lot thicker than they normally would be. This time, it's Justice League meets the Subway heroes. (Yeah, as in the fast food chain, Subway.) I'd rather have these be at the end of the comic, instead of making me hunt down the next page in the current story I'm reading. Also, this is billed as a 1 of 4 issue, which I guess means the rest are available in your local Subway.

:yay: for the promotion for the movie. :csad: for the Subway promotion.

The reason why the Mini-Hulks isn't as good as the other Mini Marvels is that Giarrusso's only involvement is the original character designs. Without him on it, they're substandard at best.

This was a mercifully short week, and it would have been shorter had I not been a sucker. At any rate, spoilers ahoy.

DREAD'S BOUGHT/THOUGHT FOR 6/8/11 - Marvel Edition

ANNIHILATORS #4: This is the finale of "cosmic" writers Dan Abnett and Andy Lanning on their latest mini series for Marvel's line of space heroes. It is a $4.99 an issue series which has offered 42-44 pages of content; both the main ANNIHILATORS story and then the superior ROCKET RACCOON & GROOT series as a back up strip (which often is two pages longer). The ANNIHILATORS strip have seen Quasar trying to fill in for the loss of Nova and Star-Lord's Guardians of the Galaxy by assembling his team of "space bad asses" in Gladiator, Beta Ray Bill, Ronan and Silver Surfer. They have been joined by the Spaceknight Ikon, who provided the role of "token girl" as well as central to the plot. They have become involved in a story that has sought to tie up some dwindling plot points left behind by, amazingly, the end of the 1980's cult series ROM THE SPACEKNIGHT as well as SECRET INVASION from 2008-2009. Given that the Dire-Wraiths, the arch enemies of the Spaceknights, were a mystical, demonic sub-class of the Skrull alien race, it does make some sense to link them in an aftermath story. However, an appearance by Immortus and his time-flung army in Limbo seems to exist to provide artist Tan Eng Huat (as well as inker Victor Olazaba and colorist June Chung) extra battle sequences to draw. The story wraps up fairly neatly, although a teaser image at the end implies that the next mini series will bring these characters to earth for an adventure. I wonder how that can work; if cosmic heroes go to earth, then by being on earth they're not "cosmic" for a while. On the other hand, it could connect with FF's subplot with the reborn Annihilus, and Earth has escaped a slew of space threats aside for the Skrull Invasion over the years. Technically, the characters hanging out at Project PEGASUS (Robbie Rider, Namorita and Darkhawk) never left earth.

In the Rocket & Groot story, another loose end from the 1980's or 90's, Star-Thief, is wrapped up as well as Rocket's current character being bridged to his past from the 80's. The story mostly exists as a showcase for the artwork of Timothy Green II, and the colors of Nathan Fairbain. The story has become more bogged down in retreading old continuity in it's later half than the manic energy of the first two issues, but has a very exciting and successful conclusion. The dilemma of this series is that it seems mundane coming off of THANOS IMPERATIVE and involves the writers handling characters they are less strong with than in NOVA or GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY. Their familiarity with Rocket was often why that strip seemed to have more energy; ANNIHILATORS in comparison was often a simple Saturday morning adventure. While Marvel's "space audience" are not large enough for Marvel to have sold these as two mini-series, they are loyal and consistent enough at about 24,000 readers that Marvel will continue to give "DnA" work on the cosmic titles - especially as HEROES FOR HIRE sadly nears cancellation range. This has been a perfectly serviceable and exciting space saga series, even if it isn't up to the snuff of this writing duo's prior work.

FEAR ITSELF: FEARSOME FOUR #1: I was initially planning to buy this mini series due to the bizarre line up of B and C-List characters, then decided I’d rather save the three bucks. But when push came to shove, my small local shop had reserved it for me, so I felt bad leaving it behind, since they may not sell it – it IS a spare FEAR ITSELF mini series with a low level creative team and characters. Having read this, my second guess was right. This issue is, in fact, very close to a poster child of spare event mini-series that really have no right to exist other than to sucker in more dollars from…suckers. You win this round, Marvel. That isn’t to say that this work is bad; there are far worse comics out there; FEAR ITSELF #3 is far more irritating a comic as this is. It simply is a bit tedious, uneven, and mundane. It’s a dud, plain and simple.

This is actually the second FEAR ITSELF mini series to feature characters who would be quite at home in a relaunch of DEFENDERS. There is FEAR ITSELF: THE DEEP which features Dr. Strange and Namor teaming up, and THIS series features Nighthawk, She-Hulk, Howard the Duck, and the Frankenstein Monster going up against a berserk Man-Thing. Sounds interesting as a solicit, right? That’s about the best it manages. It is written by Brandon Montclare, best known as editor of DC’s newest Vertigo classics such as SWEET TOOTH and BANG TANGO, along with MADAME XANADU and a run on HELLBLAZER. Given that Axel Alonso, former Vertigo editor turned Marvel editor-in-chief, is now in such a position, it is little surprise that some of Vertigo’s stable would come to the House Of Ideas. The dilemma is that perhaps Montclare is not quite a home writing a superhero team-up book, especially one on the fringes of an event. Being that this is $2.99, this means it only has 20 pages of story; despite that, the issue has the efforts of three artists at the helm – Michael Wm Kaluta, Ryan Bodenheim and Simon Bisley, with two colorists in tow. While the final reality warping sequence at the end benefits from a dramatic shift in art via Bisley, the rest of the issue does sometimes feel as if there was a rush to deadline, because Marvel would implode if it had one less FEAR ITSELF series ship in June.

Premise? Man-Thing is a monster who is literally attracted to fear, and any who know it burn at his touch – no end of narrations since the 1970’s have told us this. Because the acts of FEAR ITSELF are spreading panic across America and the globe, this has caused Man-Thing to become overwhelmed with fear-energy and start on a mindless rampage, which even results in a double murder. Howard the Duck, who was brought to earth by Man-Thing and has considered him an ally many times in the past, wants to track the muck-monster down and either save him, or be the one to put him down. To this end he’s recruited She-Hulk, and Nighthawk and the Frankenstein Monster literally run into them as they go. One can imagine this could be a fun pulp adventure, but instead Montclare plays it very straight, which is a mistake. Without much humor or irony, the story reads more generic than it could otherwise. It doesn’t help that while Howard is seen meeting up with She-Hulk, and Montclare feels the need to summarize Nighthawk’s latest continuity in an extended, and awkwardly drawn, brawl sequence with some muggers, the Frankenstein Monster quite literally just walks into the story. Howard The Duck, the comedy creation of Steve Gerber, does not work without some more humor attached – much as Dan Abnett and Andy Lanning have some fun with characters such as Rocket Raccoon, Groot, and the psychic dog Cosmo in their space stories.

While the artwork by Bodenheim is quite capable, it is the pages by Kaluta that make things look awkward. While Kaluta does well with Man-Thing, his human figures look very sketchy, and his sequence with Nighthawk versus some muggers features some of the most awkward pacing for a fight I have read in some time. It doesn’t help that Montclare has written a normally generic hero like Nighthawk as a borderline deranged lunatic of a vigilante. And while we’re at it, I should say that neither Howard or the Frankenstein Monster look at all like the cover within, which is a good thing. On the cover, Howard looks like a Disney character, and “Franky” looks like he is some long lost cousin of Lion-O from THUNDERCATS.

Jeff Parker, the current THUNDERBOLTS writer, has already lost Juggernaut as one of his regular cast to FEAR ITSELF, since he is one of “The Worthy”. That is understandable. Man-Thing is another of his regulars on THUNDERBOLTS and if Parker loses access to him for the next four months simply so he can appear in a story as mundane, pointless, and average as this, it will be quite upsetting and unfortunate. This mini series actually highlights one flaw of Matt Fraction’s FEAR ITSELF narrative, in that how exactly “fear” is spread over the world is left a bit ambiguous. FEAR ITSELF was sold via images that showed Marvel heroes “literally facing their fears” as some put it in interviews – including bits like Cyclops wearing Magneto’s costume, Iron Man seeing his armor mass produced, Hulk losing control and Captain America’s shield breaking. While this has come to pass to some degree with Hulk and Steve Rogers, the story is not about heroes facing their own fears. The main villain in FEAR ITSELF, an exiled Norse god called “the Serpent”, supposedly sows fear in humans and uses that fear to grow stronger. How does he set about doing so? While some lines imply that the Serpent’s mere presence sows fear, in execution the Serpent accomplishes this by throwing hammers at selected superhumans (“the Worthy”), which possess them and make them break things while screaming a lot. While a worldwide crusade of blunt terror by hammer-carrying superhumans is quite a terrible thing, the fact that it seemingly causes crowds to people to go berserk as if hallucinating is awkward at best. The Sinister Six have come up with better and more complicates attempts to dominate the world than “the Serpent”.

Subsequent issues seem to imply that reality will warp around the four characters as Man-Thing’s madness effects the “nexus of realities” that he protects. This screams of being an issue filling device which will have trippy art and strange things happen for no reason. Given that Man-Thing can endlessly reform himself from swamp-muck, the odds of him being permanently destroyed here are nil.

In conclusion, with Marvel spitting out a dozen (give or take) spare FEAR ITSELF mini series, each has to be taken with a grain of salt. While THE HOME FRONT is a hit-or-miss anthology, and YOUTH IN REVOLT had a great debut, FEARSOME FOUR is a dud, best avoided. One supposes the other 75% of it could be stronger, but after this debut, I won’t be along to see.

MYSTERY MEN #1: To paraphrase Prince, let's party like it's 1999. No, this comic has nothing to do with the 1999 Universal Studios film "MYSTERY MEN" that starred Ben Stiller, William H. Macy, Hank Azaria, and Geoffrey Rush (among others), which was itself based on a comic book series created by Bob Burden of similar name (MYSTERYMEN), which itself a spin off of his FLAMING CARROT comics (circa 1984). This is the debut of a five issue mini series from Marvel Comics written by David Liss, a novelist who has been writing BLACK PANTHER: MAN WITHOUT FEAR lately, and artist Patrick Zircher, a "journeyman" artist best known for extended runs on NEW WARRIORS, THUNDERBOLTS, IRON MAN and CABLE & DEADPOOL (as well as NIGHTWING for DC Comics). The premise is to introduce the first group of "modern era" Marvel superheroes via retroactive continuity, or at the very least untold revelations. To a degree this holds some water; virtually all of Marvel's superhero characters of the Golden Age debuted after 1940, many of which were patriotic heroes intended to fight in WWII as well as have zany adventures - Captain America being the most well known. Namor the Sub-Mariner and the android Human Torch were the only ones who debuted before 1940. However, even those two first appeared in 1939, with WWII already well underway in Europe. This series takes place in 1932, during the heart of the Great Depression before such things. While ALPHA FLIGHT once introduced a team of "cave man superheroes" who existed in ancient times, and no end of tales of mythical heroes abound, as well as an entire stable of 19th century "wild west" masked heroes, the era before 1939 has been mostly untouched. No doubt Marvel sees the successful sales of THE MARVELS PROJECT by Ed Brubaker and Steve Epting as well as the initially decent sales of the unfinished THE TWELVE by J. Michael Straczynski and Chris Weston as motivation to delve even further for Golden Age era stories. Perhaps the "CAPTAIN AMERICA" film will get some readers in the mood for a period piece. The difficulty in terms of promotions remains this being released in the middle of a FEAR ITSELF vs. DC's FLASHPOINT market. Frankly, no matter how good it is, if this debuts above 25,000 copies, someone at Marvel won a bet.

The other interesting quirk about this series is not only the title, but even the tag line of this debut issue and series - "Who Are The Mystery Men?" (http://www.flamingcarrot.com/MM/index.html) Bob Burden trademarked both the FLAMING CARROT and MYSTERYMEN names in the mid 1980's. While Universal Studios has had a cozy relationship with Marvel in the recent decade (the 2003 "HULK" film by Ang Lee being one, as well as Marvel characters appearing in their theme parks), this likely will become less so as Marvel and Disney becomes more of one entity since the start of 2010. Thus, if Burden and/or Universal sought a lawsuit in terms of improper copyright infringement, they could have a case. Burden himself has been sporadic with FLAMING CARROT/MYSTERYMAN comics, especially since the end of the 90's; both Dark Horse and Image Comics have had publishing rights to the material. Considering Marvel have lost virtually every copyright infringement legal battle they have ever been involved in (including against Rob Liefield's AWESOME comics line when his Fighting American seemed a virtual clone of Capt. America), this mini series curiously tempts a bout they may not seek to engage in even with Disney's high priced lawyers. One supposes Marvel would argue that their MYSTERY MEN have a space in the middle and thus do not infringe on Burden/LBG, LLC.'s MYSTERYMEN. If that happened, then, would Marvel have to accept a comic published by another company called Spiderman? Or X_Men? Is this the sort of thing they wish to tempt? This is a company, as recently as 2008, that were unaware of being unable to use music tracks without the consent of the label/band and had to take down a trailer for "WOLVERINE AND THE X-MEN" featuring Foo Fighters music that was improperly obtained - thus, a company worth over four billion dollars made the same rookie mistake as a greasy teenager making YouTube tribute videos in a dank room.

Digressions aside, Liss and Zircher, alongside colorist Andy Troy, manage to craft a very classy and engaging comic here. In fairness, this is a sort week for comics, and this comic probably has the pleasure of being king of a small hill, but it is what it is. As the cover suggests, there will be five Mystery Men who are all seemingly men, in keeping with the sexist themes of the era. However, Liss is no fool and does not shove all of them at the reader immediately; issue one only introduces two of them. Most of the issue focuses on Dennis Piper, a wealthy socialite in 1932 who moon-lights as "The Operative", a masked thief who robs from the wealthy or greedy and seemingly returns the spoils to the poor - we never see this actually happen, but it is implied. This is naturally an era before there were basic worker or tenant rights and in which business owners could get away with far more open graft and robbery, with police officers seeming to be endlessly corrupt. Piper's existence is interrupted when his Broadway actress girlfriend Alice Starr (who would've been a "star", for some heavy handed naming) is murdered by a general who serves as a sort of taskmaster for the corrupted elite as well as a demonic entity called "Nox". Mentioned as a "fear lord", this entity could very well be the same Nox who appeared in DOCTOR STRANGE #31, circa 1991 - if so, this is a wise way to play up a figure who was "yet another demonic entity" who hasn't been over-used to death like Mephisto or even Satannish. Piper is very quickly set up as a patsy for Alice's murder, which leaves him having to escape from corrupt cops and run into Alice's near identical sister Sarah as well as the mysterious vigilante Revenant. Revenant is a "person of color" in an era in which segregation and open racism in business and society were the rule of the day, who appears to be akin to many of the "crime fighting magician" type heroes who occupied many 1940's comics. In battle, he deploys one defensive technique against bullets that Sho'Nuff from "THE LAST DRAGON" would appreciate.

Zircher's artwork looks much different here than it has in some of his previous work, especially due to Troy's colors. It does appear as if it is inspired by Epting's work in THE MARVEL'S PROJECT, which is no bad thing. It fits the tone of period piece urban noir. Liss manages to capture the spirit of the era well, and Piper seems to be set up as a proper point-of-view character, especially since he has no actual super-powers. Revenant remains a mysterious figure and it is unknown what ethnicity he is (other than he's non-Caucasian), which both is a good idea in terms of diversity as well as a bad idea that tempts a stereotype of a "magical dark skinned character who helps a white character" that Spike Lee often bemoaned. However, Revenant may turn out to be the first 20th century American hero who deployed inhuman powers (or magic). However, the next issue should hopefully flesh him out more. The lack of a female member could be a stumbling block (the X-Men have long held female members, after all), but Sarah Starr is stated as a scientist and a pilot, which are skills that should prove useful as the story moves along. Plus, Marvel are wise to sell this for $2.99 an issue, considering this is a lesser known creative team creating brand new characters (much as Christos Gage and Mike McKone did in AVENGERS ACADEMY).

This may not be the best new mini series ever, but it is the best comic this reader read this week. If you like pulp heroes and period pieces, as well as new characters, this should be a safe bet. Unlike THE TWELVE, this story should actually see completion.

Part 2 - The DC Stands Alone:

BOOSTER GOLD #45: Character creator Dan Jurgens marks his second issue of return to this series as both writer and penciler, alongside Norm Rapmund on "finished art" and Hi-Fi on colors. He had continued writing the character in TIME MASTERS: VANISHING POINT, a mini series that has proven more important than DC implied. This is the only DC ongoing series to actually cross over into FLASHPOINT, since all of the others will be relaunched at the finale of it. Given that Booster Gold is all about adventures into shifting time-lines, this makes perfect sense. Booster, the hero from the 25th century, has now found himself in a "modern day" in which a war between Atlantis and the Amazons has flooded Europe, Cyborg is America's top superhero, the alien Abin Sur is still Green Lantern, Batman is darker, and the U.S. military utilize zero tolerance upon any "metahuman" vistor. When missiles and standard military proved unable to destroy Booster, General Nathanial Adam (who Booster knows as Captain Atom) is able to deploy the Kryptonian monster Doomsday as an enforcer. Most of the issue has Booster on the run from Doomsday, who nearly killed him during the 90's DEATH OF SUPERMAN story and who Booster fears cannot be controlled for long - he's right. He runs into a Greek heiress Alexandra Gianopoulos, who turns out to have more secrets than she lets on. On the downside, DC continues to insert a "SUPER 8" promotional comic in the middle of their comics, which is a continued annoyance. This series will end with issue #47, which will actually be the 48th issue if one includes the zero issue and the #1,000,000 issue - a very long run for a single volume by today's standards, especially for BOOSTER GOLD. Jurgens will continue with Booster, at least as a writer, for a relaunch of JUSTICE LEAGUE INTERNATIONAL in September (he'll extend his pencils to a relaunch of GREEN ARROW). Thus, this ends up being the final arc of this seris, and hopefully it delivers on this end. Jurgens' tone is lacking of the humor of the Keith Giffen and J.M. DeMatteis, but his artwork is as solid as ever. As he drew DEATH OF SUPERMAN, Doomsday represents a bit of nostalgia for him, especially since the character is still in his initial green bodysuit.

Echo #30

The final issue of a fantastic series. Normally, this book does tend to crawl at a snail's pace; because, for Terry Moore, characterization is just as (if not more) important as the actual story. For that reason, this issue felt a bit rushed. I was hoping for extra pages; but, I think it's the normal amount. That hurts this finale, as SOOOO many answers are left in the end. Did Vijay die? And, if so, what was the purpose of jumping to his death? How did Ivy get back to her original age so quickly?? What happened to the compound, and will we see these characters again???

Still, even with all the questions, this is a very adequate conclusion. Could it have been tighter? Yes, but I've read much worse conclusions to major storylines. :yay:

So wierd thing here... I actually didn't buy this issue. I've collected the entire series but comics are so expensive now and I needed to clear room in my comics collection (and use some of the money earned toward new comics) that I just sold the whole collection. I realized that while I liked this series, it really was one of the lesser ones I enjoyed and, if it were an ongoing, it would likely have been cut next. I liked it but felt the last half of the book was nowhere NEAR as good as the first half (though still good in its own right). I think the duo-body of Annie and Julie and then her growing to large sizes while Ivy kept growing younger just kinda took me out of the story some. Plus they bring in Vijay but I feel like we barely got to know him, despite the fact that's he kind of a major character now, and that bugged me a bit. It made me wonder what the point of his character's inclusion was.

But, I did take time to get a good solid look through the final issue today and I think I'm happy with the ending. It did feel a little rushed (though my comic shop doesn't like reading more than a skim unless you're buying so I didn't read it thoroughly). I think it was a good conclusion. I think it would be more enjoyable in trade format, or issues all read in a sitting or two.

Here's a couple of questions though... is Ivy a lesbian? She has a daughter and all but she seemed to like being cuddled by Julie issues ago and then when offering help to Annie/Julie she seemed a little flirtatious... did it come accross that way to you? I was expecting something to come of that and nothing conclusive ever came.

Also, was it explained in this issue what will become of the Annie/Julie and Dillon relationship? I may have missed that while skimming but realized I didn't know the answer on the drive home.

And by the way, if you look at the page when Julie wakes up after the explosion, in one of the bottom panels you'll see Vijay drinking coffee, so he survived :up:

And now for the comics I DID buy....

Okay, but first about one I didn't... Venom #3. I skipped this issue on a heavy week a Wednesdays or two ago and decided today that, even though I've dropped and sold most of my Spider-Man comics, I wanted to give Venom a longer shot. That said, I got to the shop and issue 3 seemed sold out save a variant being sold at $15. Knowing myself this might equal a dropped series. If I'm on the fence about a title, once I get behind and can't find the issue I'm behind on I'm less likely to continue it. I'm hoping to get ahold of issue 3 soon but if not I may just give up on the book. I'm not looking forward to the Spider-Island crossover anyway.

Oh, and one more thing since I'm in the mood to rant a little, between X-Men Legacy and Annihilators, I spent $10 on two comics, which is absurd. I was complaining about comics last week to a friend of mine and he made a prediction that in a year's time I will no longer be collecting. I'm actually sad to say that he's wrong. It's rediculous that these companies just rape the customers and we just keep playing along and that I myself continue to just encourage their price-gauging. By continuing to buy the titles I love, I'm telling them that I support their overpriced product and how they treat their readers and it makes me sick. I love the characters but dispise the company who creates them. One of these days I'll have to cut comic books cold turkey, and it'll suck, but I think in the end I'll be happier without these stupid things. God knows my wife would be.

Anyhow, on to reviews.

Annihilators #4 - I'm glad this is over. While I like every character in the book it's just been such a let down. I liked this final issue most with the inclusion of the Skrull plot but found it odd that, for as powerful as this team is, they didn't even get in the shot that took down Dread. They did a good job on clean up (aka, moving planets and resetting gravity and all that) but in a comic book I want to see the throwdown fight moreso than the clean up.

Oh well, here's hoping that Earthfall is better. Not too happy that the artist is returning though. I wasn't that impressed with him here.

As for the Rocket/Groot story... same as Annihilators. I liked the first issue but I got bored of it by issue #2. I'm just glad it's over. I'm not a big fan of overly silly comics. I can do talking animals if it's in a serious setting like Mouse Guard or Rocket and Cosmo in the main Cosmic surrounding, but this was just too cutesy for me.

I'm not that excited for the backup in Earthfall but at least I'm hoping that, with planning this time, it'll tie-in to Earthfall better and somehow bring in some aspects of the Guardians of the Galaxy... or at least Bug.

Batman & Robin #24 - I'm liking this story decently well. I love the team of Dick and Damian and I'm sad that it's coming to an end in September, but then I'm excited to see Bruce and Damian officially becoming partners. I also like the Red Hood and am thinking about picking up his ongoing in September, especially with how writer Scott Lobdell talked about it in an interview I read... and with how much Lobdell made me love X-Men I'd love to read new stuff by him now.

But as for this issue itself, it was good. Red Hood was freed from jail by some animal men but then he fought back and was Batman & Robin came and aided him (the irony noted in the comic). They then learn that the animal men were hired by a woman who is holding Red Hood's old partner Sasha for ransome in return for Hood himself. So Red Hood suits up in a mixure of his newer Morrison outfit and his older Winnick costume and together with Dick and Damian head off to try and save Sasha... though they all know how it'll end when it's all over... a fight among themselves.

I like that Winnick captured not only his own history on the character but included items of Morrison's take. Personally though, I hate the costume that Morrison's team put together and wish he'd just go back to the leather jack and hood. It looked a lot better. Heck, I like the Jason-Batman look from Battle for the Cowl better.

New Avengers #13 - I think this was the best issue of this arc and maybe that's because it had the least amount of 1959 backstory in it, though that backstory could potentially lead to an interesting future for Mockingbird. We learn that Superia had stolen what Nick's old team was dealing with, which is a rough draft formula mixing Super Soldier formula and the Infinity formula to create a solider like Captain America but who doesn't age like Nick Fury. To save Mockingbird's life, who was shot a few issues ago, the Hawkeye makes the decision to give her the formula leading to her waking up. There's a real good chance that the unstable formula will empower Mockingbird, making her an actual Superhero and not just a powerless hero. Curious to see where that goes.

This issue also left some questions regarding Victoria Hand's loyalty. Superia, who took over HAMMER, approached her and she, in turn, turned Superia's whereabouts over to the New Avengers, who took her down. However, while in the Raft Superia is given a drawing of a Goblin (representing Normal obviously) and she says to herself "Good job, Hand." So is she working for Norman and Superia still or is there something deeper going on here? It's a good question and I'm glad that Victoria is getting such focus. I've liked her since she was introduced in Dark Avengers.

So yeah, good issue.

Wolverine #10 - Due to high prices and double shippings I thought about skipping out on this title for a while. I came on with the second arc and don't know what happened prior to that, so these revenge issues mean little to me. However, I decided to pick up last issue and so now I've picked up this one. Last issue was done well but this one kinda fell flat for me. It seems like the people who sent Wolverine to Hell are just people who he's wronged in the past... none that we really know anything about. Right now he's fighting some new characters to get to them and none of them seem very interesting.

I'll say this though... I never get tired of Jae Lee covers. His interiors are hit or miss for me but his covers are phenominal!

X-Men Legacy #250 - Now matter how good this comic was I still feel ripped off due to the price. If 22 pages is a $3 comic, then 31 pages should warrent a $4 comic. They instead through in a reprint of an old comic (which isn't even a whole story since it's to be continued) and skyrocket the price to $5. So no matter how much I loved the plot of the issue, I still look on it with disdain.

That aside, the plot was really good. Phaed described it fairly well so I won't go into details but I'm glad that Legion is really getting character development and that the book is getting back to Rachel, Havoc, Polaris, and Korvac. This could potentially be my favorite X-Title right now after having read the past 3 issues and then remembering Age of X knowing what I know now (eat your heart out Bendis!).

I will say this though... it took me about three tries to figure out what the heck was going on during the Rachel Grey flashback from current to pre-Age of X. It was a neat trick but threw me for a loop the first time I tried to read it. I couldn't figure out if I read one page then the next or if the panels connected both pages or what?! Then I realized each panel took place prior to the one before it. It was a neat way to rewind time to show Rachel prior to Age of X.

I'd love to see Chamber join this team but what I want to see more than anything is some Magneto/Frenzy development. She was one of his most loyal Acolytes after all. What does she think of the fact that her previous lord and master is now an X-Man ALONGSIDE Charles Xavier? Well, now that she's joined him there could be some good plot coming from that.

Heh, I never thought there'd come a day when I'd actually really be excited to see what comes next for Frenzy Cargill :)

Best and Worst of the Week:

Best - New Avengers #13: I thought about giving this to X-Men Legacy but these two were so close and that price really does kill me on that book. So I skimmed this one again and decided that it really does deserve it, even if it is overpriced itself. Three or four issues of less than interesting plot and one that made it worth it in my opinion. I also like that the 1959 team was never actual Avengers and that no history was changed. The mission was the Avengers Initiative and it disolved after the mission was completed. If not for the horrendous art, I might even be able to go back and enjoy those stories now :)

Worst - Wolverine #10: I was just let down with this issue. Here's hoping it gets better.

Oh... I thought it was nice. I was at the shop with my two daughters and one of the guys (I think he's an owner or something. I only see him on Saturdays and I think he usually manages the second location) gave each of them one of those promotional Flash rings. I've never bothered with all those rings but this ring is pretty cool. It kinda makes me want to get ahold of all the Green Lantern ones. :)

Shame that prices are getting you closer to leaving the hobby. I can understand it, as it has made me more conservative with giving anything a try.

That said, ANNIHILATORS being $4.99 was fair to me because it offered 42-44 pages of content, as in 2 issues worth. Split that $4.99 in two, and that's (roughly) $2.50 per comic. No Marvel comic has been priced at $2.50 since about 2004-2005. Now, if ANNIHILATORS EARTHFALL offers, say, 30 pages for $4.99 instead, that'll be gouging. But we don't know yet.

That isn't to say Marvel isn't gouging to begin with line wide. There is no reason why a debut issue to a $2.99 series HAS to be $3.99 other than cynical, short term greed. There is no reason why a $3.99 comic for 22 pages has to be that price besides Marvel wanting to make a killing on top franchises. I'm not thrilled that ASM will be the latest to joint that trend, alongside Bendis Avengers issues, THOR (off and on), INVINCIBLE IRON MAN, etc.

But, at least for ANNIHILATORS, I didn't feel cheated on page count. As for the story, yeah, it wasn't DnA's best. But I still enjoyed it. The dilemma is that it features a team of characters that they're not at their best writing, much like ANNIHILATION CONQUEST and WAR OF KINGS had to a degree. I'd much rather they focus on characters they've handled more often. I mean, Beta Ray Bill is really just there to shamelessly hop on the Thor bandwagon, for heaven's sakes. Silver Surfer is as emotionless and expositional as ever. When I look forward to Quasar's whining and Ronan's bravado for characters on a team, that's a danger sign.

Both Marvel and DC are flooding the market with more prices than it can bare. They're either grossly incompetent or DELIBERATELY trying to tank than market to make as much cash as they can before digital comics are the ONLY viable game left. If you seriously don't think large corporations wouldn't be that cynically greedy, you haven't been paying attention to the U.S. economic picture since Dec. 2007. ;)

Shame not too many of us tried MYSTERY MEN, but given the aforementioned glut of product, it isn't unexpected. I do hope the "Fear Lord" Nox mentioned within it is the same Nox that Dr. Strange fought in DOCTOR STRANGE #31, circa 1991 (who was profiled in the MARVEL ZOMBIES Handbook circa 2007). She's a prime example of a villain who was supposed to be around forever but because she appeared in a one off story in '91, nobody used her since. MYSTERY MEN #1 was priced at $2.99 for 22 pages, which as Tom Brevoort tells it means Marvel should be filing Chapter 11 bankruptcy again for the high production cost. :rolleyes:

So wierd thing here... I actually didn't buy this issue. I've collected the entire series but comics are so expensive now and I needed to clear room in my comics collection (and use some of the money earned toward new comics) that I just sold the whole collection. I realized that while I liked this series, it really was one of the lesser ones I enjoyed and, if it were an ongoing, it would likely have been cut next. I liked it but felt the last half of the book was nowhere NEAR as good as the first half (though still good in its own right). I think the duo-body of Annie and Julie and then her growing to large sizes while Ivy kept growing younger just kinda took me out of the story some. Plus they bring in Vijay but I feel like we barely got to know him, despite the fact that's he kind of a major character now, and that bugged me a bit. It made me wonder what the point of his character's inclusion was.

But, I did take time to get a good solid look through the final issue today and I think I'm happy with the ending. It did feel a little rushed (though my comic shop doesn't like reading more than a skim unless you're buying so I didn't read it thoroughly). I think it was a good conclusion. I think it would be more enjoyable in trade format, or issues all read in a sitting or two.

Here's a couple of questions though... is Ivy a lesbian? She has a daughter and all but she seemed to like being cuddled by Julie issues ago and then when offering help to Annie/Julie she seemed a little flirtatious... did it come accross that way to you? I was expecting something to come of that and nothing conclusive ever came.

Also, was it explained in this issue what will become of the Annie/Julie and Dillon relationship? I may have missed that while skimming but realized I didn't know the answer on the drive home.

And by the way, if you look at the page when Julie wakes up after the explosion, in one of the bottom panels you'll see Vijay drinking coffee, so he survived :up:

I'm surprised you gave up on this comic, and not just because it was coming to an end. I know you complain about books, like X-Factor, that only give one side to religion; and, this book really presented that the God from The Bible was the one true god...and, that theme stayed consistent right to the end. (The idea of Cain being the one of the bad guys distanced me from this book a bit; but, I've come to accept it...and, now I really embrace the idea presented.)

As for a couple of your questions, Terry Moore has many lesbian themes in his books; and, yes, I think Ivy fell in love with Annie. Many of his characters, like in "Strangers In Paradise," are bi-sexual, too...and, a lot of that come from the men they meet just being pigs.

As for Dillion, he's sticking around for the time being.

I just can't wait for that next series to begin. Moore hasn't disappointed me yet, at least with the stories he wants to write. (His brief stint with Marvel a couple years back just wasn't him, imo. Maybe he did it for the money; but, I just didn't feel his normal love for his characters.)

Some reviews.

Green Lantern Movie Prequel: Tomar-Re One-Shot

This could easily have been a regular Green Lantern story, and one I found better than Kilowag's. Heck, I think I enjoyed this issue more than War Of The Green Lanterns, even. It told a simple story about Tomar-Re trying to capture The Anarchist. He's left with a terrible decision in the end..and, I do believe he made the correct one.

I think DC should learn from these two one-shots this week. They need to get away from the Earth Lanterns, and switch their focus to creating stars out of the aliens. It gives the Green Lantern Corps more of an importance, rather than the disbelief that the only people able to save the day are Earthlings. :yay:

Journey Into Mystery #624

Not as enjoyable as the previous two issues; but, still pretty good. Corp said it best, in that for once we see a different side to these characters, notably Volstagg. He's the perfect partner for Loki, and he brings a lightness to this rather dark and complex book. (New readers might be confused at times, because this story plays on Gillen's previous before Fraction took over Thor.) :yay:

Fear Itself: Fearsome Four #1

Dread and I are in complete agreement this week. Mystery Men was a pretty damn good first issue...and, this was crap! I'm learning rather quickly that most of these Fear Itself tie-ins are in no way essential to the main plot, and this might be the worst of the bunch. It was just a means to get these various "monsters" together; and, it's made worse by the horrible art. (Boy, I miss how Howard used to be drawn. Many current artists make him just hard to look at.)

Skip it, avoid it! All I can hope is that things get better. :csad:

Fear Itself: Spider-Man #2

Spidey swings around while fear envelopes the city. He even has a heart to heart with JJJ, which feels totally out of character. The battle with Vermin is done rather quickly; and, while the ending feels like this story is over, it's still going to be dragged out for another issue.

Another Fear Itself tie-in that is very loosely tied to the main story. Skip it. :dry:

American Vampire: Survival Of The Fittest #1

This Vertigo series just keeps getting better!

Both books are dealing with WWII, but since the main series has introduced us to so many interesting characters, I don't feel overloaded with an additional book, like with Green Lantern. I find myself wanting more, and I'm surprised how welcome I am to get it. Those unfamiliar with Agent Book will get a quick recap of her origins; but, they might be confused about other ones, like Skinner Sweet. In this story, the V.M.S. believe they've found the cure for vampirism, and this issue gets us prepared for the upcoming search.

Can't wait for the next issue, even as I'm excited to discover what comes next in the main series. :yay::yay:

New Avengers #13

What a crappy issue! While I've been loving the 50's Avengers much more than the New ones; this only gives us the briefest epilogue to their adventures. Instead, we get a very anti-climactic ending to the hunt for Superia (EXTREMELY LAME, even for Bendis standards) ... and, Bendis decides to give Mockingbird superpowers in the end, totally altering her character.

So, to recap, not only does Bendis screw with Hawkeye by making him have an adulterous relationship with Spider Woman in the other series, now we have him totally changing Mockingbird's power set, making her fit into his story rather than making a story that fits the character. :csad:

So, to recap, not only does Bendis screw with Hawkeye by making him have an adulterous relationship with Spider Woman in the other series, now we have him totally changing Mockingbird's power set, making her fit into his story rather than making a story that fits the character. :csad:

I hate to sound condescending, but dude, where've you been? This has been how Bendis has written characters in Avengers material since 2004. The fact that he continues to do so should be seen as the norm. Which is fine for those who like that sort of thing, but for those who don't...

But, yeah, FEAR ITSELF: FEARSOME FOUR was a real dud. So far HOME FRONT and YOUTH IN REVOLT are the only two that I read. I am on HOME FRONT really for the main Gage/Speedball strip, and YOUTH IN REVOLT is for McKeever on some younger heroes. This was the first time I dipped a toe into something else and I regretted it.

I will be surprised if MYSTERY MEN #1 debuts above 25k copies, and I have a feeling issue #5's sales will be ugly. It's new characters with a creative team that is not well known, that is a period piece, that is coming out as FEAR ITSELF and FLASHPOINT hit full steam. If ever there was a bad time for this product commercially, this is it. It's a mini so sales really don't matter as much, but still...it's a better story than FEAR ITSELF #3 was. Zircher's artwork was different than I am used to, in no bad way. Again, I do hope this "Nox" is the same one from that Dr. Strange comic from 1991 - it'd be a great use of an obscure villain who hasn't been used much. The great thing about shared universes are that such characters exist - thus allowing a writer to not have to create a new character themselves, but to have one who is such a blank slate that they can do or serve any role they need. Moon Knight's rogues gallery are a wasteland of such villains. Still, on a week where I got BOOSTER GOLD and ANNIHILATORS, I wasn't expecting to like MYSTERY MEN better than both.

Adulterous? Did Hawkeye get another girlfriend between Mockingbird and Spider-Woman? :huh:

The only saving grace is that when Bendis finally gets bored and leaves all these books his replacements will be totally free to IGNORE every single thing he ever did. I know I already am.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
japanorsomewher
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"