Bought/Thought for August 31, 2011 - So Long, Post-Crisis DC Universe Edition

I've read all 5 of The Mighty Thor comics so far. I've had mixed reactions to it the whole time. Odin vs Galactus was pretty cool but I didnt realize Odin was a giant like Gal. I'm not sure if I'll continue reading this if they kill of Thor honestly. I mean the dude just had a hit movie. Give him a break

"But if he's had a hit movie, that now means he's famous enough for us to get mainstream news coverage when we kill him, and we can release a high-priced polybagged edition of the comic where he dies, but then give away the death scene in USA Today the day before its release."

You know what it reminds me of? The Question in 52 and JLU. The JLU cartoon comes along and offers a string of episodes portraying Vic Sage as possibly the most badass character ever to don a trenchcoat. People love it and (around here, at least) there's a ton of interest in checking out some Question comics. So of course DC responds to that enthusiasm and interest in the only logical way: by having Vic die of cancer in 52. :awesome:

... Wait, what? :huh:

Basically, the same thing is happening with Thor. Lots of publicity from a blockbuster movie that raked in the dough pretty well, some badass moments in the Avengers cartoon, Bendis actually making him look like a total boss in the Avengers comic, Fraction's big name and the relaunch as TMT potentially drawing readers into the comic, a whole event built around characters originating in Thor's wheelhouse... so the only logical follow-up must be to kill the character off and replace him with some weird-looking other dude! :doh:

That makes no sense. DC also did it with Batman too. When the Dark Knight came out in theaters and absolutely blew up the box offices, DC responded to the re-energized enthusiasm by running Batman R.I.P., which is the opposite of what you would call a "new reader-friendly" book. Although with Marvel, in fairness they seem to be better than DC as milking their popular franchises. They put Steve in the costume back in time for his movie with a brand new #1 and Thor got a #1 for his movie too. I highly highly doubt marvel's going to kill Thor with the Avengers movie coming out next year. I'm willing to bet Cap, Ironman, Thor, Hulk, Hawkeye, and Black Widow will all be alive and kicking by May of next year.

Well... I buckled and bought Justice League #1 and liked it...

I hate myself... :o

That makes no sense. DC also did it with Batman too. When the Dark Knight came out in theaters and absolutely blew up the box offices, DC responded to the re-energized enthusiasm by running Batman R.I.P., which is the opposite of what you would call a "new reader-friendly" book. Although with Marvel, in fairness they seem to be better than DC as milking their popular franchises. They put Steve in the costume back in time for his movie with a brand new #1 and Thor got a #1 for his movie too. I highly highly doubt marvel's going to kill Thor with the Avengers movie coming out next year. I'm willing to bet Cap, Ironman, Thor, Hulk, Hawkeye, and Black Widow will all be alive and kicking by May of next year.
I suspect Thor will be back by then too, but all signs seem to point to them killing him right now.

Guys, can we just call Mighty Thor Thor? It's not like there's another book to confuse it, and with a new Turtles series out TMT can get a bit confusing with TMNT. I know I've seen TMT and mentally inserted the N.

Yeah, I guess. I was writing it out for a while as The Mighty Thor, but everyone else seemed to settle on TMT and I'm nothing if not one to jump on the bandwagon. :awesome:

Everyone is talking about JUSTICE LEAGUE #1, so I may as well briefly. I didn't buy it. I flipped through it and it didn't strike my fancy. To be honest, at $3.99, it would have taken a lot to get me to try it. I probably have more interest in JUSTICE LEAGUE INTERNATIONAL at the moment. Everyone praises Jim Lee's artwork, but the dilemma is he truly did define a generation...the LAST generation. Every time I see him draw something, I think I already saw it in X-MEN circa 1992. It was all Batman and Green Lantern, with Superman showing up at the end; anyone who thinks Wonder Woman hasn't been replaced in the trinity, look no further. But, in fairness, I didn't read it. Maybe Johns' dialogue is great, and it does have a lot of popcorn movie style action - Lee's strength as an artist (besides cheesecake and outdated fashion). Still, team books that don't have the team in it for a few issues are SO 2004. It has been massively pre, post, and over ordered, so I imagine it will be the #1 seller of August by a wide margin. It's been rumored for 2 years and that creative team on a JL relaunch alone would sell in the Top 10-15 for ages. It's the safe bet for success regardless of what one feels about DC or the New 52.

And yes, that IS brief for me.

Onto the rest of the spoiler reviews of things I actually bought and read!

DREAD'S BOUGHT/THOUGHT FOR 8/31/11:

HAUNT #17: Having skipped July and almost August, this series is in the ramping up phase before a shift in the creative team. Writer Robert Kirkman and regular artist Greg Capullo will be leaving for greener pastures after the next issue – the latter of which to draw Batman comics for DC Comics. As of issue nineteen, Joe Casey will be the monthly writer with Nathan Fox on art. That would thus make it the third artist in less than two years, and the second creative team shift. While that is odd for a creator owned comic from Image, it isn’t bad compared to many Marvel comics. Co-creator Todd McFarlane will remain involved as unofficial editor and co-inker, although this issue is very much by committee. An artist simply dubbed “Mr. Sheldon” aids Capullo on pencils while inker LeBeau Underwood aids McFarlane on inks. In case readers missed the point that HAUNT very much wishes that it was part of that initial Image age of the 90’s, the cover features a scantly clad woman baring her rear end beside a character carrying guns larger than his head with bullets in pouches all over him.

Kirkman has spent the last few issues getting all of the key exposition about the “rules” of the Haunt that were left dangling from the first arc into the fore now that he’s ending his launch of the series. As per the conversation last issue between the ghost of Kurt Kilgore and “Not God”, when he merges with his living brother Daniel, they become the mystically powered warrior Haunt. If they remain merged too long, Daniel will die and Kurt will take over his body, hence why Dan gets sickly after too much action. Yet Kurt’s ghost is not supposed to exist, so some Grim Reaper like monster called “The Apparition” chases after him and hopes to “delete” his essence. There is some cosmic purpose to the creation of Haunt and what they’re supposed to do, but what that is will likely be best left to Joe Casey.

This issue is stronger than the last in that most of it isn’t Kurt walking around in a white background talking to “the narrator” essentially – which had to be an easy issue for the time strapped Capullo. Despite the extra penciler and inker, the art for this issue is up to the usual speed as many of the prior ones. Alegria – the strange voodoo lady who seems to have been designed from leftover McFarlane sketches of Calypso from the 80’s – sacrifices herself to end the Apparition subplot, at least for now. The odds of her coming back are very high, as she gives the ol’ “death is merely the next stage of my development” type line that Obi-Won Kenobi and Gandolf The Gray said. Meanwhile, a subplot between the villains Hurg and Cobra comes to a head, and I’m still unsure if I am supposed to take Cobra seriously, or as a sort of self-parody. The guy has a deformed face and walks around in bulky red/purple Kevlar armor with butcher knives attached to every free spot, yet those knives bend so he doesn’t puncture himself.

HAUNT has very much been ULTIMATE SPAWN for this new century, with a new creator at the helm in Kirkman. McFarlane sees it as a part of his “studio” that is strong enough to survive without Image’s hottest writer, but that remains to be seen. Image doesn’t sell like it used to, and usually the best books are creator owned, not “franchise” ones. While SPAWN is still one of Image’s Top 5 sellers or so, it’s been overshadowed by THE WALKING DEAD or INVINCIBLE or other titles. It doesn’t get the “indie” buzz that Casey’s BUTCHER BAKER or Nick Spencer’s MORNING GLORIES gets, to cite some examples. Even SAVAGE DRAGON benefits from Erik Larson writing and drawing every issue since day one. McFarlane wants to run HAUNT like SPAWN, only SPAWN had his heyday in the 90’s that is long since faded; HAUNT is in a different market. I’ve often liked this book just enough to continue to read it monthly half the time, and even I am hesitant to try out a new creative team. That’s just how things work these days. I stuck around for the next creator on SECRET AVENGERS and regretted it, for one recent example.

For the moment, HAUNT is a solid 90’s Image comic…for 2011.

INVINCIBLE #82: While it seems longer due to the fifth Wednesday this month, the previous issue did actually ship at the end of July; whether this means that this Image Comics mainstay by Robert Kirkman and Ryan Ottley will be able to get back to a monthly schedule (as it did in 2009) is unknown. The colorist position has seemed to be a fluctuating role for this series for the past several issues; this time, regular Marvel and DC Comics colorist John Rauch lends his digital talents for this issue, and does a great job. As has been true of the past couple of issues, Kirkman is exploring things on earth with Mark/Invincible now that he has back from yet another long space war. He is investing quite a lot of panel time to some of his newer villains, which is good to keep the rogues and character cast fresh.

Rex/Robot is reintroduced to the series while Invincible pays a visit to a character he and Eve defeated roughly a year ago in real time - Universa. Finding a suitable solution with dealing with her highlights a current character arc for Invincible, which benefits the long time reader. When the hero debuted, he was young, spunky, and full of naive idealism. When he was exposed to the ugly reality of the business through betrayals and gory battles, as well as the grays that are explored by Pentagon head Cecil Stedman, he often flexed against them. For a time he was swallowed by the darkness and sought to kill threats immediately - complete with a dark costume. Now, after another space war and personal drama, Invincible is seeking to employ other approaches besides violence. Tiring of villains who seek endless revenge on him (and others), Mark is seeking to find compromises when possible. As Cecil warns, Mark may be going "all in" on this strategy when there still will be maniacs who need to be punched - but that tends to be Mark's standard operating procedure. The ending pays homage to the finale of issue 49 - or rips it off, whichever you prefer.

What makes the book succeed is what has made most other issues succeed - a strong and vibrant supporting cast, flowing subplots and character arcs, ramifications to past actions, crisp dialogue and top notch art. In fact, this issue took longer to read than quite a few others on this list because of the dense dialogue - which didn't make it boring. Plus, 22 pages for $2.99 is fast becoming a luxury in comic books. While new fans may be lost by the dense storyline at this rate and be obligated to catch up via the armada of trade collections for INVINCIBLE, it remains one of the best superhero series for fans of the genre.

AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #668: This is the second chapter of "SPIDER-ISLAND", or the third if you count the prelude issue. This was very close to being the top of the heap, although HERC #6.1 won out due to being more timeless, standalone, and with a legendary artist. That isn't to say that Dan Slott and Humberto Ramos, alongside Victor Olazaba on inks and Edgar Delgado on colors, are not producing a very entertaining and riveting Spider-Man epic. With the disappointment of FEAR ITSELF an ongoing dilemma this summer, and with the modest SHADOWLAND of last winter still fresh in memory, "SPIDER-ISLAND" is quickly standing head and shoulders above competition of recent memory, whether big or small. That isn't to say that it is flawless, but usually "mini events" don't get this solid unless they're written by Dan Abnett and Andy Lanning and about space. While this issue naturally picks right up from the last issue, it's awkwardly scheduled after VENOM #6, which actually takes place afterward (and Spider-King really was Captain America, it seems; so much for the Reilly theory). At any rate, the Jackal has succeeded in his plan to infest "thousands" of Manhattan citizens with his genetically enhanced bed-bugs to induce within them powers similar to Spider-Man. The immediate effect is now hundreds of people are manifesting super-powers, and not all of them are good. Jackal has assembled an army of those who were criminals (or inclined to be), clad them in various Spidey costumes and sent them on a rampage. The Avengers, the Future Foundation, Cloak and Dagger, what's left of the Young Allies as well as Shang Chi (and apparently Storm) have all assembled to stop them, while Spider-Man quickly realizes it is a situation where he seemingly isn't needed and can be of no use. At least my nitpick last issue was addressed in that Wolverine COULD determine the real Spidey (as could Chi). However, inspired by the women in his life, Peter very quickly realizes that he can showcase how to be responsible to others without a mask. Mayor Jameson is vindicated as his "Anti-Spider Patrol" was put to use to deploy technologically advanced cops to help ease the brawl. Jameson then deputizes everyone and seals Manhattan's borders, but will it be enough to stem the plague? What role does Spider-Man play in that, and is there a dark side to being infected down the pipeline? Who is that mysterious scientist at Horizon Labs? All questions for another issue.

This issue naturally starts out with a lot of action and then manages to hit the rounds for interaction and even a few chuckles. A cynic might note that even without being married, Mary Jane seems to fill the same role for Peter as she always did - as his rock and voice of reason - to the point that ONE MORE DAY merely seems like an effort to bring back love triangles into the title. If there is any quibble, it is that Peter's refusal to acknowledge how useful it is to be working alongside Carlie Cooper is bordering on insanity. Due to this situation, Peter and Carlie both have super powers and are both employing those powers, skills, and their brains to try to solve this mystery. Given that Carlie is a fan of Spider-Man (and masked vigilantes in general), there is no reason for Peter to have kept his secret from her beyond either his unwillingness to commit or sheer stubbornness. He did once unmask for a cat-burglar, people! Yet all Peter can gush about is not having to change clothes in an alley before web-slinging. A story that was willing to claim that Peter is too insecure to date any woman who isn't either a civilian or inferior to him in power level would be fascinating if it were intentional. On the positive, this event is playing up all of the Marvel Universe elements of BIG TIME while focusing on the fact that Peter can be a hero without a mask, and he can win a fight without being a brawler. So far, this has been a rare comic event that has lived up to it's own hype. On the downside, this is one of the first issues since November to be priced at $3.99 despite only having 22 pages, and unlikely to be the last.

HERC #6.1: Another week, another .1 issue as part of the Point One Initiative. In theory, it was Marvel's way to try to entice readers to hop aboard an ongoing series in mid-progress with a one-shot tale that summarizes what is going on, while giving longtime readers of said series a story they can enjoy, too. In practice, they have merely replaced annuals - although many sell better than annuals usually do. Often, the Point One Initiative issues written by the same creative team as the ongoing series they promote fair better, as they become extra issues of content - such as HERC #6.1 (or AVENGERS ACADEMY #14.1). Greg Pak and Fred Van Lente - the regular HERC/INCREDIBLE HERCULES/CHAOS WAR writers for several years of material - naturally produce another stand out single issue story that accomplishes the mission statement of telling a tale new and old readers can get. While someone who has never read INCREDIBLE HERCULES since 2007-2008 might be a bit lost, someone who hasn't read HERC since it debuted in the spring will have a fair refresher course on the status quo of the book. An added treat for this done-in-one story is legendary artist Mike Grell on pencils - the same Grell who is best known for creating WARLORD at DC Comics as well as JON SABLE FREELANCE and STARSLAYER at the creator owned First Comics, along with notable runs on IRON MAN and GREEN ARROW. His work is inked by two inkers and colored by regular HERC colorist Jesus Aburtov.

This issue provides not only a solid story that takes place in current HERC continuity, but it also explains the gap between CHAOS WAR #5 and HERC #1. As this issue summarizes, Herc had become a "super god" during CHAOS WAR and destroyed the Chaos King, who sought to destroy all of reality. He used all his power to undo the damage of the battle as well as restore all the lost gods - mostly the Greek pantheon - to life and vigor. This left Hercules in a mortal, and somewhat brighter, form. Here, we learn through the eyes of Hermes - the messenger god - that Herc tried to remain in Olympus, but it was no place for a mortal. When even his wife Hebe ends up condescending to him - as most gods tend to with mortals - Herc fled to Brooklyn to answer the call of his worshippers (who wound up being about 3-4 nerds in robes). This issue also explains how Herc acquired his godly weaponry; in fact, it is that theft which puts Hermes on his trail. Initially seeking to catch a thief for Zeus (who is once again seducing women in far off lands away from Hera), he winds up in the middle of a fight between Herc and Mr. Negative and gains perspective on the situation.

The story is simple and not one that offers many twists and turns, but it doesn't need them. The art is very effective for the godly scenes as well as the combat, there's a dash of humor along with the heart, and Pak and Ven Lante manage to convey why Herc is a cool lead character even in a tale where he isn't one. Grell's artwork is enhanced well by the inks and colors, and is of such a timeless style that readers who are less knowledgeable may have no clue that Grell's an old hand who's been in the business since 1973. Even the choice of villain in Mr. Negative works because HERC is about to start a crossover with AMAZING SPIDER-MAN next issue for "Spider-Island". Mr. Negative - created in 2008 - is getting a lot of traction lately and will also appear in SPIDER-ISLAND: CLOAK AND DAGGER. It is possible that other writers are thrilled to be given a crime lord who is Asian-American who isn't dressed as a ninja, a martial artist or a samurai. Alas, such a gesture is moot, as the latest issue of PREVIEWS has announced that HERC will be canceled with issue ten. Given the sales, it is great that it lasted that long.

This issue is what good comics should be - $2.99, done-in-one, with a story anyone can pick up and enjoy with great artwork.

SPIDER-ISLAND: DEADLY HANDS OF KUNG FU: While I really should be cutting back on spare comic purchases, I bought this for two reasons. One, writer Antony Johnston did a fine job with a few C and D listers in SHADOWLAND: BLOOD ON THE STREETS; in fact, it was a fair prelude for HEROES FOR HIRE. Secondly, because it will have Iron Fist and the Immortal Weapons in it in a story that isn't in IRON MAN 2.0 or part of FEAR ITSELF. To a degree this is a dilemma as Shang Chi is actually the star, and I'm not really a fan of his - I have nothing against him, I just prefer Iron Fist. The art is by Sebastian Fiumara and he does a solid job of making some attempt to capture the feel of some of those old B&W magazine stories, only this time in color via Dan Brown (with inks by John Lucas). Things start off simply, but that's fine for a debut issue to a brief 3 issue tale.

Shang Chi is apparently one of the infected of Spider-Island and thus has gained the powers of Spider-Man, which enhances his natural kung fu skills. He's been having dreams of apparently attacking the Immortal Weapons as some sort of spider-creature. He naturally takes part in the big Spider-Brawl from ASM #667-668 where he runs into Iron Fist, and another Immortal Weapon, Bride-Of-Nine-Spiders. She's really an obvious foil, er, character for a SPIDER-ISLAND story. He tails them, and tries to help Iron Fist when he's double-crossed, but despite his new powers, fails. But is it all what it seems? While Bride-Of-Nine-Spiders in past depictions was rarely a pure heart, is she really the baddie here?

Naturally, SPIDER-ISLAND has provided an excuse to do one-shots or mini series around characters either loosely connected to Spider-Man (like CLOAK & DAGGER) or characters with spider-themes (such as Spider Society stuff in AMAZING SPIDER-GIRL). Thus, this is really an excuse to do a Bride-Of-Nine-Spiders martial arts story. It still is amazing to see the influences that the Fraction & Brubaker run on IMMORTAL IRON FIST seem to have on so many martial arts hero books that have come later; even Johnston imitates the style well.

The downside is that while this issue isn't bad, it isn't especially memorable as of yet. The art is great and it's a perfectly solid debut to a Marvel martial arts story, it isn't a home run or even a double. Now, that could be because I'm not a Shang Chi fan, and that likely is because he seems to recite the same sorts of "karate man" cliches in narration or dialogue since the 70's when Bruce Lee was leading pop culture. Being zen is who he is, but if I liked that, I'd like Silver Surfer. Still, I like that Johnston and Fiumara remember the details of Shang's old apartment, complete with his "karate kitty". For fans of IMMORTAL IRON FIST or Shang Chi or even Iron Fist, it's likely worth a get for the adventure and/or completism. Just don't expect it to be the top of your stack. Still, I could argue that more writers should be as reliable as Johnston. He seems at home with "street characters". I am curious what HEROES FOR HIRE by him would have read like. The end of the issue has an essay about Chi by editor Alejandro Arbona that goes on to stress how Chi is cool because he has no super powers...to launch a mini in which he actually does have super powers. Awkward!

Last edited:
Guys, can we just call Mighty Thor Thor? It's not like there's another book to confuse it, and with a new Turtles series out TMT can get a bit confusing with TMNT. I know I've seen TMT and mentally inserted the N.

Yeah, I guess. I was writing it out for a while as The Mighty Thor, but everyone else seemed to settle on TMT and I'm nothing if not one to jump on the bandwagon. :awesome:

Enjoy it for a few more issues then you'll be typing out The Mighty Taranus...:woot:

Last edited:
Like, seriously, in TMT, this f***ing happens:

TMTodinHBgalactus.jpg
:hehe:
Shouldn't Galactus be a lot more powerful than Odin since he got that boost from the Old Strong he took from Skaar ? Or was that forgotten ?

Personally I cant wait to dig into Simonson's run. One of these days I'm gona muster up the balls and just buy that fat omnibus that just came out. Looking forward to it.
Highly, highly recommended. The Simonson omnibus is a thing of beauty. Same terrific original art and storytelling, loaded with all sorts of subtle enhancements courtesy of its up to date recoloring.
But seriously Fraction's pissing me off with this. I'll admit i keep buying because Coipel's art is just a joy to look at but man what in the hell is Fraction doing with these characters? When the relaunch was announced and Fraction said Thor and the Asgardians would be fighting Galactus, I was 110% onboard. How the hell can u go wrong with that? But with all the grunting and grimacing and yelling at Silver Surfer and such, its just.......ugh. Such a far cry from JMS' and Gillen's Thor.
:csad: So missing the man JMS made him.

Shouldn't Galactus be a lot more powerful than Odin since he got that boost from the Old Strong he took from Skaar ? Or was that forgotten ?
Probably forgotten. Or maybe at power levels like Odin's and Galactus', it just doesn't make much of a difference. I mean, they're really powerful.

If it's any consolation, a few pages after the cosmic headbutt, Galactus' head fixes itself right back up while Odin passes out into the Odinsleep.

Galactus when "hungry" is more vulnerable. Dr. Strange knocked him for a loop once with a major spell under those regards - it was the story where Reed decided to save him because he figured the universe could always use less planets. In fairness, he was put on trial for it, and cosmic people backed him up. :p

I only got 3 comics this week.

Justice League #1 - I was eager to give this dude a shot but I was glad to have skimmed this thread prior to reading it. I saw in Keyser's review that it's a good read if you don't go in with the expectation of all the hype and he's right. It's a perfectly fine issue that begins the build up to JL but that's about all it is. We're introduced to DC's big namers Batman and Green Lantern in their first meeting and already Johns is introducing Hal's cockiness and his fued with Batman. I like that they brought in Superman in the end and had the cameo with Cyborg, starting their stories.

It seems that Darkseid might be the big baddie in this origin story so I'm curious about that (having loved Final Crisis). This was a testing stage for me and I was pleased enough to stick with the arc at least. Beyond that we'll see.

Spider-Island: Deadly Hands of Kung-Fu #1 - I have no interest in Spider-Island but I do love my Iron Fist and Immortal Weapons ever so much. I wasn't sure if I was even going to buy this comic so I skimmed it at the story and decided it was worth giving a shot and I did like it. I hope the next two issues come out on lighter weeks because, though I liked it, it's not exactly awe-inspiring. I'm glad it's only 3 issues long, let's put it that way.

It was cool seeing Bride of Nine Spiders though. She fits in very well with this event and I like that we're getting some good facetime with her. I hope Iron Fist takes over this mini like he did the Iron Man 2.0 Fear Itself tie-in. He's the real reason I'm buying the book afterall.

Uncanny X-Force #14 - This was a very good issue I thought. I was iffy at the end of last issue when I thought Remender had brought back Holocaust without explanation toward how he's alive again but this issue flashes back and we learn that isn't even Holocaust. It's actually, if I'm reading this correctly, the child of Apocalype and the original Famine named Genocide. It makes me wonder... is this the 616 version of Holocaust then? After all these years I don't think one was ever created. Either way though, I'm cool with it.

Remender brings in the new 4 Horesmen, Dark Beast, and Ozymandias to fill out Arcangel's new regime as the ascending dark lord. I love how we are really seeing that this is the evil Archangel persona that's been influencing Warren for the past few years, the evil seed planted by Apocalypse himself. This definately gives Warren an out for all the killing he's done since joining X-Force in the previous volume.

This really has been a fantastic series and storyline. Fantomex has been the star for me but Psylocke is starting to skyrocket. I also like that Wolverine has been taken out of the story so that the others may shine. It's up to Fantomex, Deadpool, and Deathlok to save the day! I'm always a fan of the underdogs :)

Best and Worst of the Week

Best: Uncanny X-Force #14 - I think I said enough above. This whole series is just fantastic :up:

Worst: SI: DHoKF #1 - Not that it was bad, it just wasn't quite as good as the other two. I'll likely finish it out at least for my Iron Fist/Immortal Weapons love. I know this sounds wierd being that it is a tie-in but this story suffers from the Spider-Island stuff. If this was able to be told stand alone I think I'd have liked it better.

Worst: SI: DHoKF #1 - Not that it was bad, it just wasn't quite as good as the other two. I'll likely finish it out at least for my Iron Fist/Immortal Weapons love. I know this sounds wierd being that it is a tie-in but this story suffers from the Spider-Island stuff. If this was able to be told stand alone I think I'd have liked it better.

That seems to be true of a few of those SI mini's. SI: CLOAK & DAGGER only attached to SI by obligation for fight sequences, and those sequences could be swapped with a battle against AIM or HYDRA or the Secret Empire and the story itself is the same. SPIDER-ISLAND is really an excuse to get some C and D list characters into some comics with only obligatory mention of the mini. Some of the SHADOWLAND mini's did that, too.

I figure I'll chat about this too... with it being the 20% off sale at Half Price Books I thought I'd check them out. Sadly, I wasn't too impressed with the current comics selection at either of my local HPBs. My wife gave me a budget and I was honestly more in a novel buying mood (bought Safe Haven by Nicholas Sparks and Pirate Latitudes by Michael Crichton) so I wasn't as heavy of a comic shopper.

I nearly bought the whole Avengers Forever mini after all the debates I've had with Dread lately and how often that came up but I decided against it. It'd have only been $8 or so but I decided to spend that on Safe Haven instead. I also passed on the first 15 or so issues of Straczynski's Rising Stars. I've always been curious about it but I opted to pass.

So instead I filled some holes. I got some Batman comics from around the Knightfall time. I got an issue of Brubaker's Daredevil (plus another that I didn't realize I already had). 4 issues of Winnick's Outsiders. An old Spectre annual with Deadman (annual 1 I think, from '88). I think there were some more odds and ends. I also got the first 3 issues of Storm's mini from the 90's for my daughter, who loves female superheroes (she ended up loving them).

Also, I picked up Superman 75. I've had it before and sold it but this was the black bagged copy unopened and I just kinda thought it'd be nice to have. It was such an important issue that I figured, "What the heck?" I got it home and felt happy with buying it and looked it up on ebay and saw that if I choose to sell it I'll double my money so it was a good deal :)

Still... I'm a little sad. I was really hoping to get some great runs on sale but there just weren't any at this time. I was kinda hoping for some Spectre (of any run) or large runs of Daredevil pre-Bendis... maybe a large run of the Maxx, which I've been in the mood to try. I was also hoping to see the first few issues of Flashpoint but no dice.

Uncanny X-Force #14 - This was a very good issue I thought. I was iffy at the end of last issue when I thought Remender had brought back Holocaust without explanation toward how he's alive again but this issue flashes back and we learn that isn't even Holocaust. It's actually, if I'm reading this correctly, the child of Apocalype and the original Famine named Genocide. It makes me wonder... is this the 616 version of Holocaust then? After all these years I don't think one was ever created. Either way though, I'm cool with it.

Remender brings in the new 4 Horesmen, Dark Beast, and Ozymandias to fill out Arcangel's new regime as the ascending dark lord. I love how we are really seeing that this is the evil Archangel persona that's been influencing Warren for the past few years, the evil seed planted by Apocalypse himself. This definately gives Warren an out for all the killing he's done since joining X-Force in the previous volume.

This really has been a fantastic series and storyline. Fantomex has been the star for me but Psylocke is starting to skyrocket. I also like that Wolverine has been taken out of the story so that the others may shine. It's up to Fantomex, Deadpool, and Deathlok to save the day! I'm always a fan of the underdogs :)

No, you're right about Holocaust. The original AoA one that crossed over into the 616 is dead. So this is a new one created in the 616.

Uncanny X-Force continues to be fantastic and the Dark Angel Saga is shaping up to be a classic X-Men storyline. This is the definitive X-book and the basis of what all of the other titles in the line should aspire to be.

This book has succeeded without a regular artist too, quite an accomplishment in my eyes. It's great to see Jerome Opena back on art chores, he was the best so far on this book and hasn't been around since the initial arc.

Betsy is awesome in this book. Remender has her nailed down as an incredible ninja warrior while maintaining her as a woman that refuses to let go of the man she loves. God, I wish all writers would depict her in this manner instead of a brooding b***h she's been in the past.

Fantomex is awesome as the leader by default, I'm expecting him to step up big time while Logan is on the sidelines out of commission. I think he's going to get reinforcements from AoA to help save the day, explaining how Nightcrawler (and hopefully Jean and Sabertooth) makes the jump over. Deadpool shines yet again as the voice of reason as to why the remaining members of the team can't call on the X-Men or Avengers to save their asses.

And finally Warren, who for years put me to sleep, has become awesome as a villain. I don't think he's coming back from this and I don't want him to anyway. He's a great Apocalypse, cold, calculating and pure evil. The only thing of Warren that remains is his love for Psylocke. I rather him be Apocalypse instead of bringing the original back and judging by his omission from the teaser posters for the relaunch, I may get my wish. I loved his little speech to Fantomex when he kicked the crap out of him.

Apocalypse is a total pedo because famine was a teenage girl when he made her his horseman so unless he got sinister to do some artificial insemination which would still be all kinds of wrong thats messed up.nd of

Basically, the same thing is happening with Thor. Lots of publicity from a blockbuster movie that raked in the dough pretty well, some badass moments in the Avengers cartoon, Bendis actually making him look like a total boss in the Avengers comic, Fraction's big name and the relaunch as TMT potentially drawing readers into the comic, a whole event built around characters originating in Thor's wheelhouse... so the only logical follow-up must be to kill the character off and replace him with some weird-looking other dude! :doh:

Yeah it's a damn shame, i mean have you seen the cover for the Mighty Thor Hardcover that collects the 6 issue arc? It's the Movie Thor cover lol, thats how much they're trying to capitalize on this.

Apocalypse is a total pedo because famine was a teenage girl when he made her his horseman so unless he got sinister to do some artificial insemination which would still be all kinds of wrong thats messed up.nd of

With how old Apocalypse is I doubt he cares about the age of consent.

Justice League is good stuff. The CBR reviewer gave it two stars, but in his defense that guy sometimes makes sense and sometimes does not. He seems to want to liken it to the first issue of an event comic - apparently the New 52 is an event, not 52 brand new ongoing series, what do we know? - and while the issue apparently does not deliver, in his eyes, he doesn't tell us what it should have delivered.

But the issue does deliver, oh yes. Johns isn't ushering in a brand new event, but he does have to do - and does - double duty in the pages of the issue. This first issue has to set up not only his own arc and characters, but demonstrate a setting of this reintroduced DCU worldstate. There may be plenty of dialogue throughout the issue, but it's the smart kind of dialogue that furthers purpose of character, plot, and scope. It isn't Bendis's "Talking Heads Syndrome" (speaking of which, what a ****ing waste of Mike Deodato's talents) and doesn't come off as such, and I don't see how someone rational could make that mistake. Yes, I'm talking to you.

So we have an established feel of setting and worldstate, introduction of characters, said characters defined in personality, introduction of the big bad - you know, that hits my checklist of what an introductory issue should do, in general.

Oh, and it looks like Jim Lee's gotten better as time has gone by, too. Though that shot of the American Flag and Vic catching the football is godawful.

I like CBR's site but their reviewers can be a little questionable at times.

Wasn't too pleased with my decision to buy Justice League #1. From the preview I was worried that John's had finally gone overboard ala BMB, and this issue all but confirmed my suspicion. Batman and GL's dialogue read like a cheesy soap opera. Reading it just felt silly and childish. John's style had devolved to the lowest common denominator, completely one dimensional and just not what I want from my comics, I see enough of that **** on television, where it belongs.

It's a shame. This reboot seems like a giant step backwards from the Morrison JLA reboot, which helped to make comics relevant again. If JL is in any way an indicator as to the direction of the universe, as the flagship title for DC, I don't want any part of it. Throwing their balls in with a B writer when he's doing his best working. Same thing happened at Marvel and the universe when to crap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"