Apocalypse The Brotherhood of Evil Mutants in the Apocalypse Movie

Super Jim

Sidekick
Reaction score
Was just contemplating the different characters that would be available in this 1983 set flick. Most of these have been discussed at length. From Storm to Jean and Scott, Wolverine (of course), Nightcrawler, Gambit, and so on.

I then started thinking about Mystique and the whole scene where she saved Wolverine while in the form of Stryker. As I've discussed elsewhere it seems to me that this was done with a purpose moreso than just saving another Mutant.

My feeling has been that quite likely that scene will lead to Wolverine becoming the Horseman Death, as I posted quite a while back in another thread.

But the other option is one that I haven't thought that much about, and that is...

Will Mystique create her own Brotherhood?

As most of you know, that is per canon. She once led a group called the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants that consisted of:

- Mystique

- Pyro (not possible as we saw him as a 16 year old kid in the 2004 (or is it 2006) X-Men movie)

- Rogue, her foster daughter (again, not possible in this movie-verse)

- Avalanche - Possible as we haven't seen him yet.

- Destiny - Which could be a great way to lead into a spin-off movie (lesbian lover and a story written around the Books of Truth).
I would rather see a much younger version with their first meeting being in this 1983 movie.

- Blob - Who we've seen in the very badly, and thankfully retconned Origins. The fact that he is now no longer dead, as he was in the OT, and the fact that he was/is alive in 1983, makes him possible.

Since my last character was Blob, and most people hated him in Origins (I know I did), I don't want you stuck on that, but let's think more on Mystique's possible storylines...

With Jennifer Lawrence as Mystique you got to know that she will have to be a main piece of the storyline, just as she has been in the last two movies. In fact, some might say that her role in Days of Future Past was more important than any other character, even Wolverine's.

I mean, she was the one that they had to stop. And she was the one who infiltrated Trask Inductires. And she was the one whose DNA was used to turn the Sentinals into the super-duper Sentinals of the future. And she is the one that was going to kil the President. And she was the one who made the final decision not to.

So, what's her likely role in this Apocalypse movie?

IMO, I see four main ways they can go...

1. They can turn her into a Horseman.

The drawback to that is that having more than just one known character as a Horseman will take away from it. Wolverine as the Horseman makes much more sense.

2. They can have her join forces with Apocalypse.

But this makes her evil, which she's not. As I've written elsewhere, I could see her having to give Apocalypse (or his leaders - Mr. Sinister?) something in return for something, but as an actual aligned member with Apocalypse, nope, can't see it.

3. They can have her aligned with the good guys.

This is unlikely as well, at least at first. In many ways, she is separated from both Erik and Charles and it would be difficult to see her back with either of them at this time. It is possible, even likely, that her storyline will lead to her having to, at least temporarily, align with Charles and/or Erik in order to defeat Apocalypse.

4. They can have her continue doing her own thing.

This is the most likely scenario. Seeing her freeing more mutants from the government, or whomever, makes a lot of sense. But the logical step is to have her take it to the next level, which would be creating a team to do this. And the logical realization is that that team would be some incarnation of a new Brotherhood.

So, first would you like to see Mystique leading her own Brotherhood, and if so, who would you like to see on it?

I could easily see Toad and Ink. Also, Spyke was in the movie. Could she convince Havok to be on the team? My guess is no, but you never know. I would love to see Blob done the right way this time, but that might be too difficult to pull off. Avalanche would be pretty simple, and a cool ability to show on screen.

But the one I really want to see is Destiny. I really want to see Mystique find out about this mutant who has the ability to see the future, and who has been captured by the government, and then see her (and her team?) break her out.

Most importantly, I want this because of what it could set up for future movies...

Just imagine an after credit scene where we see a bed and Mystique awakens. She sits up and then stands, her nakedness not bothering her. She walks into the next room to see Destiny, dressed in such a way as to make it obvious they were sharing the same bed, sitting at a table and writing furiously. She writes her last sentence and closes the book, just as Mystique states "Irene, what are you doing". Irene responds "Writing down my dreams". Fade to black...

9940dee96c3a301a4cb06a292eec5f1d.jpg

Dominikos_Petrakis_%28Earth-616%29_00.jpg

Irene_Adler_%28Earth-616%29_from_Official_Handbook_of_the_Marvel_Universe_Vol_4_7.jpg

Last edited:
I would of liked to have seen Blob and Avalanche in the Vietnam scene of DOFP instead of Ink and Spike as that would have been a nice nod to Mystique’s brotherhood lineup in the DOFP comic. I mean how awesome would it have been to see Mystique standing there with Toad, Blob, and Avalanche.

I agree, you couldn't use Pyro in DOFP (70's) or Apocalypse (80's) as he was only a teenager in X2 (2004).

There wasn't Spike in DOFP, he was in X3.
Army mutant in 1973 had different power.

Magneto talked about Brotherhood to cameras, and he will have his own once again.
Mastermind will be 20, as he was 10 in 1973.
Quicksilver will be around 26. Maybe we will see Scarlet.
Toad around 27.
Would love to see Kevin Durand back as Blob.

If Mystique has her own Brotherhood I think she'll Wolverine, Jason Stryker (Mastermind--she's been impersonating his father, so she might want to keep him close), and Gambit on her team.

I could see Ink on Mystique's team

Last edited:
If there Is a brotherhood In Apocalypse it may be magneto's team.

Mystique could become a horseman.

I think the Brotherhood should stay in Magneto's hands, if in existence.

Mystique should take over Weapon X (disguised as Stryker) to give Wolverine the adamantium claws. (whether off screen or on screen)

I think the Brotherhood should stay in Magneto's hands, if in existence.

Mystique should take over Weapon X (disguised as Stryker) to give Wolverine the adamantium claws. (whether off screen or on screen)

When I first saw that after credits scene I thought that this is exactly what they were going to do. I mean, Wolverine needs to get his adamantium and there seems to be two logical ways to do that.

One is to have Apocalypse or Sinister do it as part of turning Wolvie into a Horseman, and the other is through Mystique as Stryker.

But this would raise a couple of important questions...

1. How would Mystique have known about this secret facility and the process?

I guess it could be shown that she has been impersonating Stryker for a while and while doing so, somehow found out about the facility, the process and Wolverine as a potential candidate.

2. Why would she do this?

I think that's the big question... See, if it's Apocalypse then the prupose is to make him into the Horseman Death and Apocalypse could even say something about knowing what Wolverine should be. But if it's Mystique, then why would she do this to Wolverine? What's her end game?????

On a different note, I must admit I never thought of them reusing Mastermind (Jason Wyngarde). If done, that could lead to another story, the Dark Phoenix Saga (done right this time, I would hope)...

char_39130.jpg

Unfortunately, IMO, to do Mastermind any justice they would need to make it a major piece of the story, meaning his use of his powers to control Jean. Although possible, especially if it was in a future movie with this new cast, I just don't see them going that route. So it's unlikely that they would use Jason, especially since they would already have so many other good Brotherhood candidates (Quicksilver, Scarlet Witch, Toad, Ink, Havok (I guess), Blob, Avalanche, etc.)...

But they could still do a good story where they don't call it the Dark Phoenix. Simply have Wyngarde use his powers to control Jean. Jean uses her powers against the X-Men. And through her connection to Scott she comes to her senses and they take out Wyngarde.

Although I believe a good story could be done in this way, I feel there are too many other good stories for them to do until they reboot in 2022 or 2025 (best guess), cause you know they ain't never gonna give up the rights... Stories like Asteroid M, something versus Sinister (mutant massacre), Age of Apocalypse (if they allow Apocalypse to escape in this one), something versus the Shiar (if they have the rights), the Phalanx, the Brood, Genosha, the Books of Truth, etc.

IMO, Mastermind as a member of the Brotherhood is only good if he is used as a specific story plot point. Generally trying to have him "attack" the X-kids by making them see "stuff" is a bit of a yawn. Lets be honest, would you rather have the X-Kids tricked into fighting each other by Mastermind, just to figure it out through some plot device and take Mastermind out, or would you rather see Avalanche bringing a building down on top of them, Toad bouncing around and Blob stampeding?

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

• C. Lee
    Superherohype Administrator

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back