Apocalypse Gambit in the Apocalypse Movie

And we have no idea where the X-Men films will be after this. If they go back to the present in the next 3 years you don't think they will want Gambit there? Apocalypse could also always grab him from another time as well. Who knows.

Yes, we do have a pretty solid idea where the X-Men films will be after this. It's to continue with young X-Men in the past. The actresses they're targeting for Jean should be all the proof you need for that. Kinberg also mentioned it when asked about the future beyond XMA. They might bring it back to the present but they for sure are going to continue in the past. So having Gambit in the past works just fine.

We have no idea if there will be multiple films that are still in the past once Apocalypse is done. It's assumptions.

Again, nothing is confirmed in relation to that. People will jump at the chance to just play these characters once, or even show up with little screen time. It's not easy to predict. They could have present and past films going on for all we know in the next 5 years.

Like Squeek said, there are also easy ways for Gambit not to age regarding the elixer of life in the Belladonna story. He can potentially work in both, but too many options and not enough known. My only issue with him in the past is that being an actual member of the X-Men in that time period won't work as well as the present for him. The main X-Men members will all pretty much be under 18 during Apocalypse. His interactions would no doubt be better around adults, not teens.

Last edited:
Tons of X fans do though. It's a very marketable pair up and one that's well known even amongst non comic readers.

Right now we are in major 90s territory with Deadpool, Apocalypse and Gambit. A huge amount of this series demo are 80s and 90s kids who grew up loving the X comics in the 90s or The Animated series. That's what they remember and what they want to see.

Exactly, there's a reason Gambit has a solo movie coming out and characters like Cyclops don't. With Jackman's Wolvie eventually retiring, Fox needs a corner-stone character to carry the franchise. And with 90's crowd that character is Gambit.

Ask anyone who grew up on the TAS, after Wolverine, Gambit was their favorite character in that series, and his relationship with Rogue is a big part of it.

Tatum doesn't look like 55 yo, so only way is time travel or clone Gambit.

Gambit doesn't have to be 55 yo to be in the present. And aren't they ignoring XOW Gambit now?

I just think Channing Tatum as Gambit would work well on screen with Anna Paquin, Shawn Ashmore, Ellen Page, Daniel Cudmore and the rest of the original cast than the teenage or younger version of Cyclops/Jean/Storm/Beast/Professor X. I don't want Gambit to appear as the older one after Professor X.

We have no idea if there will be multiple films that are still in the past once Apocalypse is done. It's assumptions.

Again, nothing is confirmed in relation to that. People will jump at the chance to just play these characters once, or even show up with little screen time. It's not easy to predict. They could have present and past films going on for all we know in the next 5 years.

Fair enough. The writing on the wall is pretty clear to me. You don't bring Moretz/Steinfeld/Fanning in for a one and done. You sign them fully intending to exploit their growing star power over multiple films/years.

Like Squeek said, there are also easy ways for Gambit not to age regarding the elixer of life in the Belladonna story. He can potentially work in both, but too many options and not enough known. My only issue with him in the past is that being an actual member of the X-Men in that time period won't work as well as the present for him. The main X-Men members will all pretty much be under 18 during Apocalypse. His interactions would no doubt be better around adults, not teens.
Makes sense. But if the choice was sticking him with young A-team or older B-team? He's going with the A-team IMO.

And we have no idea where the X-Men films will be after this. If they go back to the present in the next 3 years you don't think they will want Gambit there? Apocalypse could also always grab him from another time as well. Who knows.

I am pretty sure there will be no apocalypse grabbing mutants from other times because what would be the point? Grabbing future mutants to help him take over the 80s?, and what does that mean there are no powerful mutants he can get in that time period? It works in theory but only as an excuse

Plus they may limit the time travel to just mind transfer in this universe

^ They still need Cable though. I'm itching to know what they're planning for their shared universe too. Just to know if "future" films are really out of the picture. I'd be fine with it if they were because I'm still an X-Men fan before being an OT fan, but I'm still very curious. Comic-Con '15?

I doubt films set in the future is out of the picture given by the success of DOFP.

^ I don't see them turning Gambit into a Cable-esque time traveler, which means whatever timeline they start him in that that is where he will likely stay.

If (and when - IMO) he is in Apocalypse that will likely be it, he'll be relegated to the past.

That doesn't mean that someday they couldn't have a present timeline movie that includes an aged Gambit, but that's less likely then them churning out one, two, or more Gambit solo films set in the past...

I think everyone needs to come to grips with the fact that the focus of the X-Men is now on the past. This Apocalypse movie is, i believe, going to be (in many ways) both a close to the First Class "trilogy", and a start of the future focus of the X-Men. Us getting to see these young versions of the X-Men grow and develop over the next decade makes so much sense. So if they are focusing on these characters in the 80's and possibly 90's, then it's hard to believe that they will ever come out with a present timeline X-Men film that would include the OT cast.

Look, that trilogy is done. We've been left with the happy future that many wanted to see. And although there are many good characters (as well as actors and actresses) in the OT movies, the truth is that their time is pretty much done. Again, the obvious focus is the younger, fresh x-men from the mid-80's!!!

So if they are going to put Gambit somewhere as an X-Man, it just makes sense that that is where it will be.

Yes, this hurts some fans. It hurts me that the Rogue and Gambit relationship won't happen, but I accepted that the moment Bobby gave her the ice rose. They effectively replaced Gambit, in that relationship, with Bobby. Fine, moving on...

At the same time it hurts me that Iceman will never be a member of the "first class", and that Storm will be, but again, it is what it is. Moving on...

It bothers me that we'll never get the Giant Sized X-Men number one, but again, this x-Movieverse is not the comics.

Logically people just need to accept that the focus is going to be, going forward, on this young cast. And if that's the case then that is where gambit will be. Even so, they can do so much with him and I believe he can absolutely work in a film with McAvoy's Professor x, Fassbender's Magneto, Lawrence's Mystique (if she continues in the role), Hoult's Beast, and whatever younger X-Men we get in Apocalypse and any future X-movies!

Oh, I will say that I do believe there are a couple of ways that we might see the OT cast again.

One is a new spin-off series (possibly a trilogy or even a tv series) that turns the OT cast into a different group. For example, it wouldn't be too difficult to turn Kitty, Colossus, Iceman and Rogue into Excalibur. Add in other characters, like Captain Britain (I argue that he would be shared), Meagan, OT Nightcrawler, and/or Pete Wisdom, and you could have something interesting, set in the present!

The next is a Cable origin movie that would almost have to include Famke and Marsden. This could lead to X-Force, but with Cable being a timetraveler that team could be in the past or the present (or any time inbetween).

Lastly is a cross-over movie with the Fantastic Four. Once the FF movie bombs (I'm speculating) they will be forced to do something that could save the franchise. By combining the OT X-Men cast (at least some of them) with the FF in a cross-over story, it would get a lot of hype!

Last edited:
The reason why they are doing a gambit solo movie is likely because they believe he could work well as a solo character who doesn't need an X-men team

Would it benefit then to add him in apocalypse for a cameo? Yes probably because like quicksilver if you do him justice people will wanna see him again, but obviously it's not a requirement that he be in apocalypse

We know singer said he wanted to add gambit which doesn't always mean anything really but No one has debunked him having a role in apocalypse either and it's been a while so I can only imagine by now they know of he is in it or not

I am pretty sure there will be no apocalypse grabbing mutants from other times because what would be the point? Grabbing future mutants to help him take over the 80s?, and what does that mean there are no powerful mutants he can get in that time period? It works in theory but only as an excuse

Plus they may limit the time travel to just mind transfer in this universe

Maybe. I have no idea what they will do here. Apocalypse does grab people from other times often though, so the options there. Comes with the character. They are gonna have to deal with time travel or immortality one way or another in the film.

Last edited:
I think Gambit is going to be immortal in the movies with a power set similar to shaw and bishop.

^ I don't see them turning Gambit into a Cable-esque time traveler, which means whatever timeline they start him in that that is where he will likely stay.

I meant that time-travel wouldn't be out of the question in the franchise if they still intended to keep a character like Cable. Gambit would stay put.

The reason why they are doing a gambit solo movie is likely because they believe he could work well as a solo character who doesn't need an X-men team

That + the sudden plan for three solo movies (Deadpool, Gambit, Wolverine 3) hints at some sort of future team-up (and when I say future I mean the future in our reality, of course, not in their fictional world :p )

I think Gambit is going to be immortal in the movies with a power set similar to shaw and bishop.

I don't know about immortal, but making him slow to age (a la Logan) isn't the worst idea in the world.

Yeah I mentioned it before though unlike Logan/Shaw, he doesn't have that ability in the comics.

Don't forget Mystique! There's also the chance Apocalypse could modify him.

I dont think the producers see the OT characters as the X-men that need to do everything and meet everyone so the idea of well if there is a big character who appears in the past you need to make them either really young or ageless so they can meet the OT characters later probably ain't the case at all

I think this whole convo about trying to explain how characters can cheat and still have their comic relationships with other characters has been done many times until people finally give up on it, like Emma frost and cyclops

They are likely treating it as a universe and not an expanding team each film

Was Gambit ever confirmed to be in Apoc? I'm thinking we'll get a cameo ala Wolverine's in First Class.

Bryan singer said a while ago he wanted to add gambit and nightcrawler to apocalypse so it's been assumed for a while that it will happen, while when Kinberg was asked about gambit he didn't confirm anything but just said only characters will be added if their is a good reason to have them there and a lot of websites have assumed he will be apart of it and as yet no one involved at fox or the production has debunked his involvement

But they haven't confirmed jackman involvment either but it's very likely he will be involved

That's what I thought. Filming two movies at once would be a huge logistical nightmare. Probably impossible...

Gambit probably won't start shooting till August or September. If not a bit later.

Deadpool is the one shooting at the same time as Apocalypse.

Last edited:
It would probably have to be around the same time. Unless they shoot all his scenes out quickly in Apoc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"