Arrow The Caity Lotz/Black Canary Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
This depressed me way more than I thought it would. If anyone remembers, I predicted she would bite the dust at the end of last season. I was almost sure it would happen but she made it. Welp, looks like I was off with my prediction by one episode...

Lots of people thought she was going to die in the end.

I'm pretty pissed about this, partly because I love Sara and partly because it's just one more piece of evidence that the showrunners seem to think that the death of a loved one is the only possible motivator for a character. (I mean, seriously, Oliver becomes Arrow because his father died, he stopped killing because Tommy died, he gained focus against Slade because his mother died. Slade became evil because Shado died. Past Oliver stopped caring about survival because he thought Sara died. Merlyn wanted to destroy Starling because his wife died.)

I don't care who killed her; she went out like a helpless child.

More like: she went out like most of the people she murdered as an assassin went out. IMO, it's fitting that a hired murderer (by choice this time around) was probably taken out in a hit.

No it's not. Screw that "fitting" crap. They spent so much time building her up as such a badass, and she doesn't get to put up any kind of fight. She gets shot and falls off a roof. Freaking Isabel put up more a fight than she did. You don't do that writers, it's just lame.

No it's not. Screw that "fitting" crap. They spent so much time building her up as such a badass, and she doesn't get to put up any kind of fight. She gets shot and falls off a roof. Freaking Isabel put up more a fight than she did. You don't do that writers, it's just lame.

Finally,someone gets it.:up:

i'm kinda thinking maybe they should've only done one Black Canary from the start. Laurel just could've been on the boat with Oliver

:up:

This was the only way her death would be surprising to the hardcore fans of the show. Sudden, instant, unexpected. Many expected her to die in the season 2 finale. Many expected her to die sometime mid-season 3. No one expected her to kick it in the premiere before the "Sara" episode. A protracted fight that we can see her losing would have been lame, and lacked any emotional value. She still would have been dead for the same reasons, but it wouldn't have been a big moment, and we couldn't have had a mystery coming from it. That would have been a story even with no 'legs,' literally (figuratively) lame. We know Sara can fight her butt off, we know world class fighters can be caught off guard, just like she did Ollie when she showed up. Nothing lame about it.

Like she couldn't knock an arrow or two away and make it a little more interesting?bad place Huntress caught an arrow. Al-Owal caught one with his back turned.

There's a reason she died like that. Unexpecting, shot down like an animal with little dignity.

There's going to be a serious vendetta to avenge her now. One that maybe wouldn't have had so much fire behind it had she gone down in battle, etc.

More like: she went out like most of the people she murdered as an assassin went out. IMO, it's fitting that a hired murderer (by choice this time around) was probably taken out in a hit.

Yeah, no.

This was the only way her death would be surprising to the hardcore fans of the show.

It didn't need to be surprising. It needed to be satisfying.

A protracted fight that we can see her losing would have been lame, and lacked any emotional value.

Wrong on both accounts. An actual, choreographed fight would have and could have been both exciting and emotional. Her actual death was neither.

She still would have been dead for the same reasons, but it wouldn't have been a big moment and we couldn't have had a mystery coming from it.

Not true.

Nothing lame about it.

Couldn't disagree more.

I feel like the death was very effective. It fit with the theme of family/friends being a distraction. She had an emotional moment with Laurel and paid the price. It seems like a lot of people on here are trying to use Canary's skill set as the reason for this death being adaquete. I feel many are obviously obilivious to the contex, nuances of that scene. Her expression was one of suprise. She even asked "What are you doing here?" She died so easily because she was BETRAYED by someone she obviously trusted. It could have been an ally or a friend. She didn't see an attack coming for this reason. To me this elevates the death to a tragedy and makes the motivations of her death all that more complex. It also lends more emotional weight to the death when you consider it a betrayal and not some random hit. It also makes the character involved in her death more complicated without even seeing him/her on screen.

iNV68vZ.gif

wzvSdpd.gif

S75GSFv.gif

1eP6EOf.gif

L9pKhXy.gif

Last edited:
If anything, it may have been better..from a creative standpoint, to have combined the characters of Sara and Laurel into just one (cough Dinah), and have that version be on the boat with Oliver.

When she comes back as Black Canary..instead of going back to the LOA at the end of Season 2, she would try to reconnect with her former life but would have trouble doing so due to being part of the LOA for so long (which would thus fit the whole "identity crisis" theme that Season 3 is apparently about). She would try to resume her career as an aspiring Lawyer/Prosecutor (prior to her shipwreck) in the course of Season 3 while balancing out her role as BC.

See, case there closed.

Very disappointed by Sara's death.

In my head canon, Nyssa will resurrect her in the Lazarus Pit and they'll run away together and live happily ever after on a tropical island. Well, maybe not an island since I doubt Sara likes islands that much. Maybe they'll retire to a sleepy little coastal town or a nice cabin in the mountains or by a picturesque lake.

I'm just really sad because I feel she is the kind of person I would have dated in real life..a hired assassin who liked to kill and still seemed down to earth, and was mad hot.

Sigh, hope she's not gone.

I still think it was Thea who killed her though. She comes back I think next episode, has training, and may blame her for why her Mother died.

may blame her for why her Mother died.

Why would she blame her?

I don't think there is any reason they could come up with for Thea to blame Sara for that death.

Gotta agree with JC00. There is no way that Thea could blame Sara since there is no way that the information that Sara was on the same island as Ollie could have got to her (Slade told no one and Ollie only told team Arrow, so unless Merlyn randomly tortured the Bratva dude for literally no reason and the Russian told Merlyn about Sara for literally no reason, there is absolutely no way for her to know)

Merlyn was part of the league of assassins, and knows Sara was a member, who knows what he learned during that time..I just have to imagine they are going to try and put Ollie into a hard spot..and making his half-sister kill one of the girls he loved, would set his sister up for a pretty bad ash story line.

Komodo..Merlyn..and Ras would only set it all up for a fairly basic story, I could obviously be wrong, I just think everyone is ruling her out for little reason..merlyn won't be the one who killed her, I doubt they kill a fan favorite from a nobody like Komodo, and the only other option is Ras, who is definitely a possibility, but I have to imagine she would kneel or show a much different response if it was him.

I guess it could be Nyssa as well, but I have big doubts.

Merlyn was part of the league of assassins, and knows Sara was a member, who knows what he learned during that time..

???

Merlyn was a member when Sara was still a child and got kicked out so his knowledge of anything future LoA ended there. There is also zero evidence that Merlyn knows Sara was a member.

Only way the theory plays is if Merlyn has a member of the LoA giving him info.

Last edited:
Well, you know you're attached to a character when their death actually gets to you. Too bad the writers haven't achieved that type of investment with Laurel.

What an unsatisfying ending. I've lost interest in this show now, not just because I'm rather tired of these writers using death as a motivator, but because it means taking away a character I liked and having the character I can't stand replace them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"