• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

The Canceled Shows of Tomorrow: Pilot Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
AMC moves forward with potentially their fifth series.

Billy Campbell joins AMC's 'Killing' pilot
THR EXCLUSIVE
By James Hibberd April 12, 2010, 06:59 PM ET

Billy Campbell has been cast as a co-lead in AMC's pilot "The Killing."

Campbell ("Once and Again," "The 4400") is set to join the cast of the police drama, playing the role of Richmond.

"The Killing" is a Seattle-based mystery following the police investigation of the murder of a young girl, tying together three interlocking stories as investigators chase a variety of leads.

"The Killing" is AMC's only pilot in contention for a series order now that zombie drama "The Walking Dead" has been picked up. The other key "Killing" lead role of Sarah has not yet been cast.

Mikkel Bondesen and Veena Sud are executive producers on the Fox TV Studios project, which starts shooting next month in Vancouver.

Patton Oswalt is doing an NBC pilot, you would think it would be the fanboys shooting their own show but its not.

Patton Oswalt lands role in NBC comedy pilot

Actor-comedian Patton Oswalt has landed a co-starring lead role in NBC's half-hour comedy pilot "Beach Lane."

Oswalt ("Ratatouille," "Big Fan") will star opposite Matthew Broderick in the project, playing "James," a slacker with inherited wealth who's given the job of running a small Hamptons newspaper. James hires a renowned journalist (Broderick) to help turn the paper around.

Kristen Johnston ("Third Rock From the Sun") also has been cast in a series regular role playing James' stepsister, a real estate agent. She’s repped by Paradigm.
"Lane" was created by Paul Simms ("Bored to Death," "The Larry Sanders Show") and produced by Lorne Michaels and Marci Klein.

Apparently after a table read Patton Oswalt is no longer with Beach Lane, though he may get a smaller role as one of the journalists.

It's that time of year again: Deadline's annual Hot List for the first very early intel on the 2010-2011 primetime pilots for the broadcast networks. Based primarily on feedback from scripts/table reads/dailies as the vast majority of pilots have not been completed yet, these have heat heading into the final weeks before the network upfronts. Polled are agents, executives, showrunners, producers, directors, writers, as well as word from the set or editing room. Look for frequent updates:

FOX

MIDLAND: Called an early standout on the drama side at the script stage. Attracted hot feature director Marc Webb (500 Days Of Summer, Spidey reboot). Continues to be one of 2 frontrunners.

RIDE-ALONG: The other frontrunner. Shawn Ryan doing a cop drama. ‘Nuff Said.

BREAKOUT KINGS: The U.S. Marshals drama heats up with promising dailies.

TERA NOVA: Steven Spielberg’s dino drama is expected to fulfill one of the Peter Chernin company's series commitments. Midseason launch.

TRAFFIC LIGHT: The Israeli format is a big favorite on the comedy side.

KEEP HOPE ALIVE: After a couple of casting tweaks, the new Greg Garcia comedy looks strong.

WILDE’S KINGDOM: Will Arnett who is starring reportedly killed at the table read of this single-camera comedy.

MOST LIKELY TO SUCCEED: The ensemble comedy may live up to its name with positive buzz.

SECURITY (formerly Untitled Adam Goldberg): Third time could be the charm for Christian Slater who stars in this talked-about comedy set at a digital-security firm.

NBC

NBC right now is the agencies' wet dream. With more needs at 10 PM than any other network following the quick demise of The Jay Leno Show, NBC is supposed to pick between 5 and 7 new drama series for next season. Here are the early frontrunners:

ROCKFORD FILES: Pre-sold title, great baby boomer nostalgia, comes from House creator David Shore

UNDERCOVERS: J.J. Abrams. That about sums it up.

CHASE: Strong early buzz on this Jerry Bruckheimer-produced thriller.

KINDREDS: Solid effort from David E. Kelley with Oscar-winner Kathy Bates in the lead.

LAW & ORDER: LA: Done deal. The Law & Order spinoff set in Los Angeles already has been picked up to series for fall.

LOVE BITES: Cindy Chupack's anthology dramedy series stars two of the hottest young actresses, Becki Newton and Jordana Spiro.

THE EVENT: NBC brass is looking for an event series, and this conspiracy theory thriller's chances look good so far.

THE CAPE: Promising dailies for the Simon West-directed high-concept drama is giving it a lift. But it may have to fight with The Event for a spot on the schedule.

On the comedy side:

THIS LITTLE PIGGY: Against all odds. This was a leftover project from last season produced by the sister studio of a rival network, ABC. Yet the sibling comedy is packing some serious heat.

FRIENDS WITH BENEFITS: Another hot ABC transplant. (ABC passed onits own project in February.)

NEXT: Paul Reiser’s semi-autobigraphical comedy also is heating up in the filming stage. (I won't go for the easy Mad About You one-liner.)

OUTSOURCED, PERFECT COUPLES: Both have supporters at NBC.

CBS

HAWAII FIVE-O: Iconic brand, CBS staple Alex O’Loughlin as Steve McGarrett. Looks like a sure bet, along with:

CRIMINAL MINDS SPINOFF: Same reasons as above. Forest Whitaker stars.

CHAOS: Good buzz on the Brett Ratner-directed CIA drama.

DEFENDERS: The legal drama starring Jim Belushi and Jerry O’Connell also looks promising. Maybe competing with Chaos for a series order.

UNTITLED BAYS/THOMAS COMEDY: Great auspices (How I Met Your Mother creators Carter Bays, Craig Thomas. And great table read (Everyone loved Kyle Bornheimer and Jaime Pressly).

MIKE & MOLLY: Ditto. Comes from reigning comedy king Chuck Lorre.

BLEEP MY DAD SAYS (aka **** MY DEAD SAYS): Ditto again. The Twitter sensation in the hands of Will & Grace creators Max Mutchnick and David Kohan. With William Shatner as the larger-than-life central character, this had a hilarious table read.

ABC

NO ORDINARY FAMILY: An early drama standout from top showrunner Greg Berlanti. This high-concept drama has been garnering momentum through casting (landing Michel Chiklis as the lead), and through filming.

THE WHOLE TRUTH: Solid legal show. Good chemistry between stars Joely Richardson and Rob Morrow

TRUE BLUE: Scribes Jon Feldman and Chris Brancato's different take on the cop drama sets it apart. Having a strong woman lead in Poppy Montgomery helps on a female-centric ABC.

BODY OF EVIDENCE: One of the best-liked drama scripts at the network. Big–name star in Dana Delany.

WRIGHT VS. WRONG: Early frontrunner on the comedy side based on a well-received script by Stephnie Weir and a solid table read. Very strong cast, too, led by Debra Messing.

CW

NIKITA: Strong buzz for the La Femme Nikita reboot starring Maggie Q has made it an early frontrunner.

UNTITLED WYOMING PROJECT: Classic CW genre: family soap, from a proven showrunner, Gilmore Girls creator Amy Sherman-Palladino.

BETWIXT: The drama about “changelings” falls into CW’s current sweet spot: genre shows. (A possible Vampire Diaries companion?)

TV Editor Nellie Andreeva

I read somewhere that Dylan Walsh (Sean from Nip/Tuck) was working on a pilot for CBS...any word on that?

Yeah he's filming in Chicago right now but with CBS having such a strong lineup due to NBC and ABC's weak lineup there isn't much real estate available if the Criminal Minds spinoff and Hawaii Five-0 pilot likely to get picked up.

The Line
drama about an ATF agent who hunts down the most dangerous criminals while trying to balance life as a dad to his teenage daughter who has re-entered his life.

CBS execs have some tough decisions to make. Fox wants to do original programming year round and CBS is the only network who could do it. With enough room right now for 3 dramas and 1 sitcom for the fall they ordered 18 pilots.

Some will be midseason replacements but they could easily stick on 11 new shows for the summer from their list of pilots. 4 comedies, 7 dramas over 10 or 13 weeks like cable does. But CBS will play it safe and do Big Brother, Flashpoint and 1 new drama and 2 new reality shows.

Better off Ted is one of the wittiest, most fantastic shows ever. But I suppose it's canceled, aye?

Boy, I really cant imagine this new Alyssa Milano show not getting immediately canned...

well considering both series she was on lasted 5 +, she was due to lay an egg some time

well considering both series she was on lasted 5 +, she was due to lay an egg some time

It doesnt have anything to do with her, I just cannot abide by any series using a laughtrack in this day and age. It genuinely saddens me that How I Met Your Mother does. :csad:

I don't mind it...and from the reviews I'm reading, it does have a bit to do with her....apparently the show just sucks out loud from pillar to post

Christian Slater needs to.....be cast in an established show with an already existing fanbase that you know is going to be around for a few more seasons. It worked for Kevin McKidd. Eliza Dushku needs to do the same.

I said that even when Dollhouse started, I don't think she can carry a show on her own just yet

EXCLUSIVE: Aisha Tyler has landed the lead opposite Laura Benanti on CBS’ comedy pilot Open Books, with Scott Foley also tapped aisha_tylerfoleyfor a major role. Open Books stars Benanti as June, a book editor at a boutique New York publishing house. Tyler will play her best friend, a waitress-actress. Foley will play a charismatic free-spirited writer who once had a fling with June. Foley will guest star as he is already a regular on another pilot, the ABC drama True Blue. Another CBS comedy pilot, Team Spitz, recently cast Sarah Chalke in a guest starring capacity as she also is a regular on an ABC pilot, comedy Freshman.

* Fox’s untitled sketch comedy pilot from Jamie Foxx nd MadTV creators Fax Bahr and Adam Small, has added several more series regulars: Erica Ash (MadTV), Eric Andre, Kyle Dunnigan (Reno 911!) and Dana DeLorenzo. They join Affion Crockett.
* CBS’ untitled Bays/Thomas pilot has tapped its last regular, Brandon Hardesty, who plays Lindsay Sloane’s younger brother.
* ER alum Gil McKinney has been tapped for a heavily recurring role on the upcomingGil McKinney fifth (and likely last) season of Friday Night Lights. In at least six episodes, he will play a smart and attractive graduate teaching assistant in a college history department who is married, but, with his wife away on sabbatical, he strikes up a relationship with Julie Taylor (Aimee Teegarden) that will become more than professional. McKinney is with Domain and Framework.

http://www.deadline.com/2010/04/tv-...oley-join-open-books-gil-mckinney-boards-fnl/

Julie involved with the professor? They're going that route?!

i watched Romantically Challenged last night... i thought it was really hilarious. i enjoyed it. =)

NBC picks up 'The Event,' 'Outsourced,' and 'Love Bites'
by Michael Ausiello
Categories: 2010 Pilot Scoop, News, Scoop

Good news for fans of Ugly Betty‘s Becki Newton, Parenthood‘s Jason Ritter, and Gilmore Girls‘ Scott Patterson! NBC has given early pickups to three new series — the dramatic thriller The Event (starring Lauren Graham’s former TV squeezes Ritter and Patterson), the comedy Outsourced, and the anthology series Love Bites (starring Newton).

Keeping reading for the official series descriptions…

* The Event is an emotional high-octane conspiracy thriller that follows Sean Walker (Parenthood‘s Jason Ritter), an Everyman who investigates the mysterious disappearance of his fiancée, Leila (Sarah Roemer), and unwittingly begins to expose the biggest cover-up in U.S. history. Sean’s quest will send ripples through the lives of an eclectic band of strangers, including: newly elected U.S. President Martinez (Blair Underwood); Sophia (Laura Innes), who is the leader of a mysterious group of detainees; and Sean’s shadowy father-in-law (Gilmore Girls‘ Scott Patterson). Their futures are on a collision course in a global conspiracy that could ultimately change the fate of mankind. Ian Anthony Dale (Daybreak) and Emmy winner Željko Ivanek (Damages) also star in the ensemble drama.

* Outsourced is a comedy where the Midwest meets the exotic East in a hilarious culture clash. The series centers on the all-American company Mid America Novelties that sells whoopee cushions, foam fingers and wallets made of bacon — and whose call center has suddenly been outsourced to India. Todd Dempsy (Ben Rappaport) is the new company’s manager who learns that he’s being transferred to India to run the operation. Overwhelmed, Todd discovers that his new staff needs a crash course in all things American if they are to understand the U.S. product line and ramp up sales from halfway around the world. But as strange as America seems to his eclectic sales team, Todd soon realizes that figuring out India will be more than a full-time job. Rizwan Manji (Privileged), Sacha Dhawan (BBC’s Five Days II), Rebecca Hazlewood (BBC’s Doctors), Parvesh Cheena (Help Me Help You), and Anisha Nagarajan (Broadway’s Bombay Dreams) also star as members of Dempsy’s off-shore team.

* From Emmy Award-winning writer-producer Cindy Chupack (Sex and the City), Love Bites is an hour-long romantic comedy anthology series featuring three loosely connected, modern stories of love, sex, marriage and dating. Each episode contains multiple vignettes, all illuminating the theme of love with an edgy, irreverent spin. Becki Newton (Ugly Betty) stars as Annie and Jordana Spiro (My Boys) stars as Frannie, the last two single girls standing after all of their friends get married. Annie is an infectiously bubbly optimist and Frannie is an always-a-bridesmaid realist. Their story will anchor the series, while other romantically-challenged characters will come and go each week. The pilot’s guest cast includes Jennifer Love Hewitt, Greg Grunberg, Craig Robinson, Jason Lewis, and Lindsay Price.

Last week, NBC picked up the J.J. Abrams-Josh Reims spy dramedy Undercovers, bringing to four the number of new shows the Peacock has greenlit for fall.

The new set of shows from USA sound a bit bland but I think Robyn may be fun.

STICK

Chris "Stick" Blake is a player in the NHL prominently featured in the majority of the top 10 hockey fights on YouTube. He just got suspended from his team, and now has to attend court ordered anger management classes. He's not a bad guy... he just loses it when people are bullied. After an old friend shows up with a life-threatening problem, Stick focuses his considerable energies on solving it and discovers a new line of work�helping people that the law can't. From writers Mark Altman & Steve Kriozere ("Castle") and Executive Producers Steve Stark ("Medium," "Girlfriends") and Russ Buchholz (FACING KATE). From Universal Cable Productions.

Burn Notice with a Hockey player?

GAY WALCH PROJECT

Karyn Burke, a suburban supermom to three kids, wakes up one morning and finds her husband has left town because he was in too deep to mob boss Tommy. Now, Karen's left to clean up his mess by paying off her husband's gambling debt and becoming Tommy's new "fixer." It's just one more priority on her weekly to do list. Executive producer is Burrad Marsh (Shed Media) and Gay Walch ("Summerland") is writer. From Universal Cable Productions.

That's his real name?

BREAKOUT KINGS: The U.S. Marshals drama heats up with promising dailies.

ROCKFORD FILES: Pre-sold title, great baby boomer nostalgia, comes from House creator David Shore.

UNDERCOVERS: J.J. Abrams. That about sums it up.

CHASE: Strong early buzz on this Jerry Bruckheimer-produced thriller.

LAW & ORDER: LA: Done deal. The Law & Order spinoff set in Los Angeles already has been picked up to series for fall.

THE EVENT: NBC brass is looking for an event series, and this conspiracy theory thriller's chances look good so far.

THE CAPE: Promising dailies for the Simon West-directed high-concept drama is giving it a lift. But it may have to fight with The Event for a spot on the schedule.

HAWAII FIVE-O: Iconic brand, CBS staple Alex O’Loughlin as Steve McGarrett. Looks like a sure bet, along with:

CHAOS: Good buzz on the Brett Ratner-directed CIA drama.

NIKITA: Strong buzz for the La Femme Nikita reboot starring Maggie Q has made it an early frontrunner.

Pilots for all of these will air this fall?

I believe all those pilots have been shot, but Im not sure which ones will actually air

I did read that Undercovers, Law and Order:LA, and Hawaii Five-O are all going to get picked up

So how does Law and Order: LA fit into the current L&O universe?

Also, USA Network needs at least a second crappy original show to compliment the one they already have in WWE Raw.

so the awesomeness of Burn Notice, Psych, and Royal Pains needs to be countered with some really ****** programming?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"