The Chronicles of Narnia: The Silver Chair

I am not too familiar with this book, but I see JJ is calling this a reboot and not referencing past films, but is this movie outright in its own continuity? Or are they just changing the visual styles? Also, how many characters from the last movies would be in this one? If they were going to reboot, why didn't they start with the 1st chronilogical story, not one that is set after events already covered? Seems odd.

I thought Narnia 1 and 2 were okay films. Felt 3 was pretty flat and boring. The fact JJ is doing this has me curious.

Uh, I hope it's not a total reboot. The only character from Dawn Treader that appears in this book is Eustace IIRC (Caspian and his dwarf friend also make a brief appearance at the beginnining of the story, but they're both very old), so in theory all they'd have to do is recast Poulter.

Poulter was excellent as Eustace. It's a pity they have to recast but hey, it has to be done. While I was disappointed in the weak adaptation of Dawn Treader, there were still some great moments in there and it was also unfortunate that we never saw Caspian taking Ramandu's daughter's hand in marriage like in the book. Maybe they better reference that in Johnston's The Silver Chair. And who could play Lady of the Green Kirtle?! How old is Natalie Dormer atm?! Actually come to think of it, I'm starting to imagine her as Amora the Enchantress if they bring her into the Thor-niverse. :p

They'd have to recast the Pevensie kids and Eustace for Last Battle too (where I think the Pevensies have only very small parts), but maybe they just want a do-over on the whole franchise.

They'd have to recast the Pevensie kids and Eustace for Last Battle too (where I think the Pevensies have only very small parts), but maybe they just want a do-over on the whole franchise.

Which is possible, but why start that with a story that takes place after the last one did? It's an odd way to reboot if it is not an indirect sequel.

Rewatched the first one, kind of safe and dry but somewhat fun. It definitely had the best story, the sequels were too long with too little story and trying too much to be Lord of the Rings.

The series is an example of problems of consolidation-Disney gets disappointed in the revenue so Fox thought it could do better and tried to, now there's one less studio that could get the rights and make their version.

The Silver Chair
has potential but it would be hard to be better than Neeson as Aslan.

So now we're looking at a likely full on Netflix reboot, LOL!

Hoping for the best. Netflix original movies haven't been so great. Don't see how they can top the 2005 Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe. Hoping they just continue on with Silver Chair as planned.

I would prefer that as opposed to just seeing the other books likely get adapted before we see anything new. But my guess is it's a full reboot.

I could live with that.

BTW, I think Lucy's age and appearance in the third movie was how she basically should have been in the first movie, I got the impression from the books (I think it's official though I'm not sure) and liked it that (most-innocent) Lucy was only a year younger than (most-flawed) Edmund.

Last edited:
Man, feel bad for Johnston.

Not that a lower-budgeted Narnia sequel that nobody was going to see was exactly much of a way to end a career (what a way to just peter out...), at least it would have been something theatrically-released which he hasn't had since The First Avenger. Never got that - that movie was pretty well-received and did good bank, and he hasn't got a major gig since.

Give that guy a Star Wars flick, Kennedy, stat.

Still, more Narnia is good Narnia, I guess. *Shrugs* Netflix is probably a half-decent place for it, get content out pretty frequently, and don't need to spend a fortune on it.

It won't happen but I would love if they brought back the original four actors and had them play their characters in an adaptation of The Horse and his Boy. They're now old enough to do that.

Reactions: FVD
I'm guessing the movies would be the adaptations of the books, which would make any TV series spinoffs. I'm not sure how well a Narnia spinoff series is likely to compete with the other fantasy stuff in the works (for me at least), although that depends on when things come out.

Starting over makes more sense. I guess the spinoffs might be new material about stuff that happens when the Pevensies aren't there, like a Charn prequel (Episode I: The Phantom White Witch :) ), Frank I's reign, origin of Calormen, King Gale vs. the dragon, more stuff about the Telmarine invasion, Caspian vs. the Northern Giants, etc.

A series about Jadis I'll grant you could be cool. And I don't want to say that something else couldn't be good/worthwhile, just that it doesn't immediately jump out at me as a thing to make.

As for starting over, I understand why they would probably do it, but while I wouldn't summarily reject another version of Lion/Caspian/Dawn Treader, I'm more interested in seeing the other books adapted.

A series about Jadis I'll grant you could be cool. And I don't want to say that something else couldn't be good/worthwhile, just that it doesn't immediately jump out at me as a thing to make.

As for starting over, I understand why they would probably do it, but while I wouldn't summarily reject another version of Lion/Caspian/Dawn Treader, I'm more interested in seeing the other books adapted.

Same. I don't want to see these adapted again before we get anything new. Especially if this flops or something, then gets rebooted years down the line with whoever would take over adapting these books...again. I am not saying don't redo them, but maybe don't lead with that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"