The Crow Reboot

Hunter Rider

Ronin
Staff member
Reaction score
http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=51302

Source: Variety
December 15, 2008

Stephen Norrington has signed on to write and direct a reinvention of The Crow, based on the comic created by James O'Barr, says Variety.

Ryan Kavanaugh's Relativity Media is negotiating with producer Ed Pressman to acquire the film franchise and finance the film.

Pressman produced the 1994 Alex Proyas-directed adaptation, in which rock musician Eric Draven (Brandon Lee) is murdered trying to rescue his girlfriend from thugs, and returns from the dead one year later to exact vengeance.

For Norrington, The Crow deal marks the end of a long screen sabbatical. After making his breakthrough with Blade, Norrington took on a big-budget comic transfer with The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. Neither the director nor his star, Sean Connery, has made a feature film since.

"Whereas Proyas' original was gloriously gothic and stylized, the new movie will be realistic, hard-edged and mysterious, almost documentary-style," Norrington said.

I'm pretty open minded but I see no merit in this at all.

An "almost documentary style" version of The Crow? Are you kidding me? Doing it in gothic style is the only way The Crow works in the first place. The guy wears black and white face paint for Chrissakes! The idea of a realistic version of an a goth kid looking for bad guys with black bird following him is laughable.

*sighs* Don't think I'll like it

*sighs* Don't think I'll like it

This just makes me sick. :cmad:

still, could be the first real sequel for the franchise, and he did give us Blade. unless we're counting those other Crow movies.....

whats going on tonight?

I thought he quit directing after TLOEG. Apparently he just quit being creative.

ObamaHellNo.jpg

Hunter... you should rename this thread, "Stephen Norrington to s**t on the Crow."

still, could be the first real sequel for the franchise, and he did give us Blade. unless we're counting those other Crow movies.....

But this isn't a sequel, it's a freakin' REMAKE!

Right? Correct me, if I'm wrong.

i'd rather not see a reinvention. a sequel would be fine or even a reboot, but i honestly think that the original Crow should be considered sacred.

that being said, i LOVED the first Blade and it's still my favorite, but i disliked tLoEG. i hope that he can go back to his Blade style for this movie....if it indeed gets made.

Last edited:
I'm going to rant a little bit here....

I cannot even begin to describe how annoyed this makes me!

The Crow is one of my all-time favorite films, easily in my top 10. For a long time it was my favorite film.

The first film with Brandon Lee is such a classic and triumph in movie making. I'll never forget the first time I watched it. It was one of the reasons I became such a movie buff and fell in love with cinema.

There is absolutely no need to remake this film. It's critically acclaimed and has a huge cult following as well. The original will always hold a special place in fan's hearts. Not only that but the movie is only 15 years old!

Not only that, but how can anyone match Brandon Lee? Everyone who has attempted to fill his shoes in the sequels have failed.

I feel like this film is a testament to Lee and his legacy. Can't Hollywood find something creative & original to do and not keep remaking films?!

********...total bull ****.

Why do they need to 'remake' this?? If he really wants to make a Crow movie just make another sequel. Don't use the actual character Eric Draven.

I hope this doesn't happen.

i'd rather not see a reinvention. a sequel would be fine or even a reboot, but i honestly think that the original Crow should be considered sacred.

that being said, i LOVED the first Blade and it's still my favorite, but i disliked tLoEG. i hope that he can go back to his Blade style for this movie....if it indeed gets made.

To all of the fans, it is. :csad:

This just seems pointless.

A ROBOCOP sequel or a DUNE remake is one thing. Remaking THE CROW, which is not a well known character and less than twenty years old?

This just seems pointless.

A ROBOCOP sequel or a DUNE remake is one thing. Remaking THE CROW, which is not a well known character and less than twenty years old?
Your really wrong here. Go to any highschool, or Hot Topic and ask around more people will know about The Crow then ROBOCOP or DUNE combined.

Highschool and Hot Topic?

Really?

Not referring to how popular something is among kids. I'm referring to the fact that the original is less than 15 years old. And that I see it as a bit soon to be making a remake of it.

My usual aversion to frivolously rehashed properties aside, this sounds horrid.

Your really wrong here. Go to any highschool, or Hot Topic and ask around more people will know about The Crow then ROBOCOP or DUNE combined.

You really did not help your argument there.

You really did not help your argument there.
Well they are the target audience. Besides who really rmeembers ROBOCOP and DUNE besides nerds and people who read/saw them when they were firsted released.

I don't want to stretch things too far but...

I feel like remaking this film is a disrespect to Brandon Lee.

The guy put his heart and soul into this movie, and unfortunately that horrible accident happened and took his life. The mad died filming this movie. Sadly the film that would have made him into a huge star was his last.

Thankfully Alex Proyas and Miramax decided to finish the film and honor Lee's work. What were were left with was an amazing and heart-breaking performance, especially considering the movie's theme and Lee's accident.

If you they want to make another Crow sequel, that's fine (but honestly, do we really need another one?). But leave this one alone!

I'm going to rant a little bit here....

I cannot even begin to describe how annoyed this makes me!

The Crow is one of my all-time favorite films, easily in my top 10. For a long time it was my favorite film.

The first film with Brandon Lee is such a classic and triumph in movie making. I'll never forget the first time I watched it. It was one of the reasons I became such a movie buff and fell in love with cinema.

There is absolutely no need to remake this film. It's critically acclaimed and has a huge cult following as well. The original will always hold a special place in fan's hearts. Not only that but the movie is only 15 years old!

Not only that, but how can anyone match Brandon Lee? Everyone who has attempted to fill his shoes in the sequels have failed.

I feel like this film is a testament to Lee and his legacy. Can't Hollywood find something creative & original to do and not keep remaking films?!
I couldn't help but laugh at your pleas for originality, creativity, and aversion to remakes when I can see that Superman Returns is in your top 5. :funny:

Highschool and Hot Topic?

Really?

Not referring to how popular something is among kids. I'm referring to the fact that the original is less than 15 years old. And that I see it as a bit soon to be making a remake of it.
Perhaps I just don't have a total love for the original movie that I don't mind this project. 15 (or less) years is still quite a long time. At least for a remake, it's going for a reinvention instead of a retread. That's always promising. I'll wait to see more info on this. But at the moment I'm indifferent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vortep88
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"