The Dark Design (spoilers)

NDX

Luke... I am... tired.
Reaction score
The sequel to The Hearts Of Darkness. Written by Mackie and penciled by Garney.

Where supposedly Mephisto is killed by the reuniting Wolverine, Punisher, and Ghost Rider. Problem is I have never read the comic, let alone even seen a copy of the graphic novel in person.

Can anyone on the Hype here help me out and tell me what happened in it? Google has not helped me at all and after 10 years I just want to know what's going on.

They don't kill Mephisto actually, Blackheart kidnaps the young girl from Hearts of Darkness (Lucy I think) anywhoothose three come together to rescue her and some how some of Lucy's (the virgin) blood ends up on a knife which Blackheart stabs Mephisto thus appearing to kill him and leaving Blackheart to rulke hell.

You are a good person. May riches befall you.

Unfotunatly, I haven't had the pleasure of readin' this one yet either. It's impossible to find where I live and I'm dyin' to get my hands on it. Hearts of Darkness was a great GN and I'm always a fan of when either of those 3 join up together. It always makes for a great story.

Looks like I'm gonna go a while longer without the issue. The comic shop never came through on their side. And I have to go back there to get issue two no matter what. ****ing pain in the ass nowadays.

NDX said:
Looks like I'm gonna go a while longer without the issue. The comic shop never came through on their side. And I have to go back there to get issue two no matter what. ****ing pain in the ass nowadays.

Why don´t you try Milehighcomics?

Every time I would visit the Mile High Comics website they never seemed to have it in stock. Even when I went there they did not even have a link for the comic at all. I gave up on them.

I try and make it to at least one convention every year with a pocket full of cash and a list of wants. These guys are just dying to unload thier comics, it's a really great way to get those issues you can't find, plus theres lots of free stuff.

I haven't been to a convention since I was 16, and that was only to get David Prowse's autograph. I looked at all the Star Wars **** and moved on.

I don't even know where to look for a convention anymore. So far out of the loop it's no longer funny.

NDX said:
Every time I would visit the Mile High Comics website they never seemed to have it in stock. Even when I went there they did not even have a link for the comic at all. I gave up on them.

You could try mycomicshop.com as well. I find that one pretty good though I've never ordered from them yet.

I just got it in the mail today. I've been looking for it in shops for ages and finally decided to buy it on ebay and got it for its cover price plus tax and in good condition. But after all this time im not thinking it was a worthy sequal. the art is nothing special, maybe for '94 but it reminds me of all the other comics in like '98. The story was below par for me. i really didnt like how the story started with ghost rider and lucy and her cousin being chases by blackhearts minions. i was sitting their thinking "who is this lady?!" and especially since Christs hill turned from the little town it was in HOD into a giant city. and it was basically wolverine and punisher with a bunch of rebels killing blackheats minions, since ghost rider was corrupted by one so dan stayed out for a bit. Blackheart has a trenchcoat on the whole comic god knows why?! steals lucy,and then he tried to make all 3 heros go over the edge by making them live things in their past wich ailed miserably, except ghost riders was pretty decent. then they beat the crap outta blackheart and everyone is happy. but the end was nicely done because the whole time he wanted them to help kill mephisto and he needed lucy to kill him but all he really needed was innocent blood to kill mephisto and he stabbed him with a knife with lucys blood on it and he took over hell. the end All in all it is i decent buy. if you find it decently priced at a shop i would buy it, but unless your a collector dont spend a fortune for this mediocre comic.

Read it a few weeks ago. Very disappointed. Spent 8 years finding it and that was what I got.

Still plan on buying it one day, if I ever get the chance.

The Dark Design was a rather lackluster sequel to the excellent Hearts of Darkness. It if wasn't for the Blackheart/Mephisto shake-up at the very end, it'd be utterly forgettable.

And though I've dug his art at different times in the past, Ron Garney just can NOT match up to John Romita Jr.

HAMACKIE vbmenu_register("postmenu_10540744", true);
Side-Kick

icon1.gif
Re: Ask Howard Mackie
It's been a long tiume since I've looked at the DARK DESIGN, but from what I've been reading on this web site, all I can say is... I am sorry.

^^^ thats the guy who wrote it

Hearts of Darkness might be the highest point for the Ketch era Ghost Rider, it was a real shame Dark Design was the followup. Could have been a much better series.

I'm a big fan of Garney's work during Ghost Rider, but this did not live up to the standards he has set.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"