The Definitive Okami Thread

TheCardPlayer said:
Maybe not the best looking but it looks gorgeous. Stop being fanboys! It's the first time I've seen a game looking like this. It's simply beautiful. It doesn't need mega polygonsz!!!!

If this was on the 360, you'd guys be lapping it up. PS2 games can still be great.

I hate when ignorant people atomatically cry "fanboy" when people don't agee with them.:down

For your info, I have never owned an X-BOX, don't really plan to.(I can only afford one system..family and child = no money) I only own a PS2 of the new generation systems, have had it since launch. I plan on waiting for a PS3 of the next Gen games. So unless you know, don't go crying fanboy to everyone.

Personally I just think this game looks ok.:o

Deeko 4/23/2006 9 out of 10 90.0%
NTSC uk 5/13/2006 8 out of 10 80.0%
gamesTM 7/1/2006 9 out of 10 90.0%
PSM2 Magazine UK 7/1/2006 92 out of 100 92.0%
Games Master UK 7/1/2006 95 out of 100 95.0%
Play UK 7/1/2006 93 out of 100 93.0%
GameBrink 5/1/2006 94 out of 100 94.0%
EGM Okami - 9.0, 9.5, 9.0 Gold Award, GOTM
Official US Playstation Magazine Okami (Capcom): 9/10 -PS2 Game of the month-

Capcoms Zelda indeed.

Mini Boss Gameplay
New Trailer
RELEASE DATE: September 5th

I will personally shoot anyone who isn't excited for this game.

I know you guys don't care about this game for some reason but seriously LISTEN to the music. I got 30 seconds into the first track and TURNED IT OFF because I didn't want to spoil it for when I'm playing the actual game, it's THAT GOOD.

1up had some music from the game in their article located here.

But for quicker access, just pop these URLs into windows media player or something:

mms://zdmedia.wmod.llnwd.net/a111/o1/Cover_Story/Okami/Ryoshima_Coast.mp3
mms://zdmedia.wmod.llnwd.net/a111/o1/Cover_Story/Okami/Sei-an_City_Aristocratic_Quarter.mp3
mms://zdmedia.wmod.llnwd.net/a111/o1/Cover_Story/Okami/Shinshu_Field.mp3

Reilly said:
Anyone know if the soundtrack is worth $50?

Angela Liu said:
Right now, it's my main contender for Soundtrack of The Year. The Okami OST is insanely beautiful in every sense of the word, from composition, instrumentation quality, and even packaging. With 218 tracks spanning over five discs housed in a gorgeous box set, it's probably safe to assume that this is as complete as an original soundtrack is going to get, as evidenced by even the presence of the many seconds-long ditty tracks peppered throughout I mean, they even have the "Okami!" title voice at the beginning, not to mention all of the lengthy wonderful promotional trailer show pieces, such as from TGS and E3. Incredible.

Composers are Capcom/Clover Studios' Masami Ueda and Hiroshi Yamaguchi, T Music's Rei Kondoh, and one Akari Groves. The score, as a whole, is heavily drenched in traditional Japanese, with lots of koto, taiko drums, shamisens, Kabuki chants, and wind instruments akin to panflutes and the shinobue. The "First Bite" playable demo gave the impression of something fairly placid, calming, and soothing, but the final score shows that the style of compositions throws out a far wider net than that, ranging from the serene and mystical, to war-torn pulsing battling, doofy and playful, dark and brooding, and epic and adventurous. The mixing and editing feels precise and nicely represented; I like how they handled "Kamiki Village," for instance, by splitting the two musical parts into two separate tracks that bleed into each other. The various other village locations share the same sense of editing, such as Shinshuu Plains, Kusanagi Village, and Ryoshima Plains. And Ayaka Hirahara's vocal song, "Reset" -- it feels perfectly apt for the score's theme, and is a perfect partner to the "Thank You Version" toward the end.

Yes, it's a bit hefty on the price, but you get what you pay for. I'm absolutely delighted with the music, and it makes waiting for the game all the more painful. It's a rare occasion when a musical score can stand so readily on its own, but it can only get better when accompanied by its contextual meaning. September's domestic release can't come soon enough.

Angela Liu said:
"Shachimaru's Theme" is one of the most beautiful game music pieces I've ever heard. Give it a listen:

http://rapidshare.de/files/29673169/Okami_-_Shachimaru_s_Theme.mp3.html

---

One more thing, has anyone picked up the following books:

Okami - The Official Guide Book:
http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/4757728484/503-8898117-9607947?v=glance&n=465392

Okami - Capture Book:
http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/4862330487/503-8898117-9607947?v=glance&n=465392

I'm thinking of picking them up, if just for potential art work. Is art work plentiful in these books?

okamiost6fl.jpg

Here's what the OST looks like.

You can Pre-order it from here:
http://us.yesasia.com/en/PrdDept.aspx/code-j/section-music/pid-1004196570/

Another person who is interested in this game? My eyes decieve me. :o

Seriously are you in or out? :o

Zenien said:
Another person who is interested in this game? My eyes decieve me. :o

Seriously are you in or out? :o

I already have it... Imported it two weeks ago :up:

You can read Japanese? Or is it a Europena Import or something? :confused:

I can understand about 10% of it... Most of it is just Japanese gibberish :(

Dosent really ruin the game though... Makes it a bit harder to undersand what the hell you are supposed to be doing sometimes.

BEcause apparently the game has a pretty involved plot.

Mentok said:
Gah... I want that version now :mad:

WHY? IT LOOKS LIKE A BOX OF GIRL'S STATIONARY...........ONLY A QUEER WOULD WANT THAT. :confused:

wow, really good art direction in this game.

Come on Capcom, we bought a bunch of copies of Dead Rising and got hyped for Lost Planet, do a port :(

Manny Calavera said:
Come on Capcom, we bought a bunch of copies of Dead Rising and got hyped for Lost Planet, do a port :(

I'M SURE IT WILL GET PORTED.........TO THE PSP AND/OR DS. :o

They would explode if they tried to run Okami.

Zenien said:
They would explode if they tried to run Okami.

WE'RE TALKING ABOUT PORTS........THEY WOULD BE TAILORED FOR THE SPECIFIC HARDWARE. ALOT OF GAMES ON THE PSP, LOOK BETTER THAN PS2 GAMES. :confused:

WITH SUCH QUIRKY GAMEPLAY, I REALLY DON'T UNDERSTAND HOW THIS WASN'T A NINTENDO EXCLUSIVE TO BEGIN WITH. BETWEEN THE STYLUS AND DUAL SCREENS ON THE 'DS', AND THE 'WII' CONTROLLER.......IT SEEMS LIKE A NO-BRAINER. :confused:

BUT, I THOUGHT THE SAME THING ABOUT 'ROCKSTAR' RELEASING 'TABLE TENNIS' ON THE '360', INSTEAD OF THE 'WII', AND THAT'S TURNED OUT TO BE A MILD SUCCESS. :o

THWIP* said:
WHY? IT LOOKS LIKE A BOX OF GIRL'S STATIONARY...........ONLY A QUEER WOULD WANT THAT. :confused:

But it looks FABULOUS! :(

Gammy79 said:
You said "fabulous" too!! :meow:

Wait...

THIS THREAD IS MAKING US ALL GAY.........IT'S ALL THE LESBIAN'S FAULT! :mad: :eek: :(

Its ok, I got some sleep... I am less gay today :up:

Spiffy
Best graphics on PS2; incredible soundtrack and FX; endearing story; great action/adventure.

Iffy
No widescreen; no progressive scan mode; can't skip some cutscenes; camera can be awkward.

It feels like Clover Studios' Okami has been "nearly here" for a couple of years now. Well, I can at last attest to a firm release date of September 19 here in the US, and I'm doubly sure, as I've been playing the final reviewable version of the game for the last few days. And what an experience it's been so far. Without gushing too much at this point, I'm fairly confident that Okami will turn out to be a strong contender for PlayStation 2 game of the year. More on the final word a few weeks from now.

In case you got bored waiting to play the game and have forgotten what it's all about, I can best equate the gameplay elements of Okami to those found in the likes of Ocarina of Time or The Wind Waker. Okami has enough of its own original content to separate it from the current crowd of action/adventure games, but at its core, it plays like a classic Link adventure.

okami-20060818022434230.jpg

The story sees a mighty battle between demon, man and god end 100 years ago, finally restoring peace to the lands of Nippon. But something evil stirs once again, and a cursed energy is begging to cover the lands once more. Assuming the role of the sun god Amaterasu -- who chooses to appear in the form of a snow-white wolf -- it's your job to restore the balance of nature to Nippon and banish evil once more.

The most striking aspect of Okami still remains the watercolor-style visuals. The game is a thing of true beauty and easily ranks among the best-looking of PS2 games (in fact, it might just be the best). The use of color, cel-shading and brush-stroked artistry is second to none. It doesn't hurt matters that, for the most part, Okami runs at a smooth 60 frames per second, either. The game simply looks incredible. I am, however, a little disappointed that there is no native 16:9 aspect ratio or progressive scan mode, as these additions would have served to enhance the artistic style even further. No matter. Okami's visuals make it a work of living art.

The game's soundtrack and effects are equally impressive and capture a very traditional Japanese fable-style theme. Looking and sounding fantastic are huge hooks for a video game, and given my extended play time, it's looking like the play mechanics of the game are not going to let their side down either. So far (and I'm only about six hours in) Okami delivers a solid gameplay experience. There are many different aspects to the game aside from the story's progression to keep you engrossed. These include leveling up your abilities, uncovering secret items and treasures, and gaining "praise" (which is like xp) from performing kindly tasks.

The other big hook with Okami is the celestial brush aspect of the game. As he's a god, Amaterasu can interact with the world through divine means, thanks to this heavenly brush. With the environments acting as his canvas, Amaterasu allows the player to draw signs and shapes in the game, which in turn alter the environments around him. For example, an old lady laments the loss of her wooden clothes pole, but with a quick flick of the celestial brush, a new one magically appears. But for the most part, the brush techniques (of which there are 15 to learn over the course of the game) play a greater role in progressing the plot line and of course, kicking ass in combat.

okami-20060818022433855.jpg

The combat system found in Okami is also pretty good fun. From the set boss battles to the roaming encounters, the game gives you plenty of cool on-the-fly fighting techniques to play with and learn. It's a solid fighting mechanic that basically completes the overall Okami package for me. But the GameSpy jury must remain silent for a few more weeks on the final verdict for Okami. Needless to say, Clover Studios' upcoming release has been featured in our Best of Show and Most Anticipated lists for a few years now. I'm pretty confident that although its taken its sweet time getting here, gamers on the PS2 are not going to be disappointed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"