The Dinosaur Thread

I will have to pretend it's not true. Flying care bears will give me even bigger nightmares.

Assuming that research holds up, then I think it practically guarantees that all dinosaurs had feathers (or later lost them). Feathers evolving separately in both pterosaurs and dinosaurs seems very unlikely.

I can't quite envision a Pterodactyl covered in feathers.

Noone should have to. It is an assault on the senses and could result in PTSD.

I like this rendition of a T-Rex:
penguintrex.jpg

Sounds like an interesting exhibition. I wonder if they plan on touring.

I always remember when my little cousin who was super in to dinosaurs told me that Velociraptors were nowhere near as big in the movies and I remember feeling very let down lol.

Then he said he never understood why they didn't use Utahraptor's instead, then I see photos like this and think it would have probably been a much shorter movie :funny:
main-qimg-2f7b1f40cde8feaab3a85dede3f340ef-c

Latin name
Flyingus-Nightmareus :funny:

Then he said he never understood why they didn't use Utahraptor's instead, then I see photos like this and think it would have probably been a much shorter movie :funny:
main-qimg-2f7b1f40cde8feaab3a85dede3f340ef-c
Coincidentally, the Deinonychus is probably closer to the Raptors size that we saw in the films.

Coincidentally, the Deinonychus is probably closer to the Raptors size that we saw in the films.
The thing must have been a walking nightmare lol

Im not sure if it traditionally fits this thread but one of my favourite doc's ever was Walking With Beasts (it looks a little dated now) but man was it interesting learning about all the lesser know creatures throughout history.
  • Entelodon
  • Indricotherium
  • Cave Lions
  • Arsinoitherium
  • Megatherium
  • Glyptodonts
  • Short-Faced Bears
I could go on and on :funny:

In the book, they are Deinonychus.

At the time a paleoartist by the name of Gregory S Paul put forward the idea that Deinonychus and Velociraptor were actually the same genus. Velociraptor being the older name would therefore take precedent. It just so happened that Paul was one of Crichton's advisors on the novel, and so that's what Crichton used. This is why Grant is digging for Velociraptors in Montana where Deinonychus lived but the Mongolian Velociraptor didn't. They actually discuss this in the novel and the smaller true Velociraptors do appear (the baby that they see when touring the labs is one).

Utahraptor wasn't defined until June 1993, the same month the movie came out.

I always remember when my little cousin who was super in to dinosaurs told me that Velociraptors were nowhere near as big in the movies and I remember feeling very let down lol.

I hate it when an intelligent child corrects me rightly about something. My only response is, "Well, I can legally drink alcohol and smoke weed and you can't, so na na na na na, na."

I hate it when an intelligent child corrects me rightly about something. My only response is, "Well, I can legally drink alcohol and smoke weed and you can't, so na na na na na, na."

Haha I know what you mean, I always just think “Well at least he keeps me humble” lol

I went and seen the latest one with him and I think it was the bit with the big Dino that lives in the water tank in the middle of the park at the start of the movie shows up I see him sort of facepalm and roll his eyes. Ask him what’s wrong and I get this response “Uhh the Mosasaur was nowhere near that big” I kinda had to nod along and pretend I knew as well for my prides sake haha, he enjoyed the rest of it though.

We need to see some Utahraptors on film.

The thing must have been a walking nightmare lol

Im not sure if it traditionally fits this thread but one of my favourite doc's ever was Walking With Beasts (it looks a little dated now) but man was it interesting learning about all the lesser know creatures throughout history.
  • Entelodon
  • Indricotherium
  • Cave Lions
  • Arsinoitherium
  • Megatherium
  • Glyptodonts
  • Short-Faced Bears
I could go on and on :funny:
I loved Walking with Beasts (and Walking with Dinosaurs). There were so many other interesting non-dinosaur creatures in prehistoric times.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"