The End of the Big Budget R rated movie?

^ Didn't you read my example above? 15+. Solves the issue.

Well like i explained in the rest of my post, something that is the equivalent of the BBFC's 15.

Or they should just make PG-13 less strict.

And like Ridley Scott said about Rated R and Pg-13 himself "It doesn't matter, the little bastards will see them anyway" lol

They won't lose them though. Kids watch movies that they're not really supposed to all the time.

They won't lose them though. Kids watch movies that they're not really supposed to all the time.
then the rating is not a problem. but studios. i am sorry. i would love more r rated movies. but the ratings are not the problem. money is.

what would need to be fixed at mpaa is PG13. they need to alow full contact fights. and they need to be able to show blood on the face when somone gets punched and blood on swords,guns,.....

hollywood doesnt want to lose those kids under 15.

How are they being lost to film they can't see already? The issue is there's too big a gap preventing people from certain movies, movies which they are more than old enough to see. You think a person dropping a bunch of F-bombs is going to affect a 15 year old? In the age where they can access endless amounts of content on youtube where there is no rating system? It's flawed.

How are they being lost to film they can't see already? The issue is there's too big a gap preventing people from certain movies, movies which they are more than old enough to see. You think a person dropping a bunch of F-bombs is going to affect a 15 year old? In the age where they can access endless amounts of content on youtube where there is no rating system? It's flawed.
i think you confused me with someone else. i am from europe. i understand the MPAA hypocrisy more then people from US.

are we going to talk about the MPAA rating system or what can kids watch and what not? i watched robocop and terminator and all other violent bloody movies when i was a little kid. and am fine. i think kids can watch those movies. the mpaa and stupid parents dont. hollywood is a buisness and its about money.

here is the hypocrisy that will not change anything. its on youtube.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0493459/

It is so inconsistant though. There was plenty of actual gore in Captain America. But then i suppose you could say the impact was lessened because overall, it was a lighter tone.

That's my fear for Prometheus. The tone. I mean let's be honest, the first two Alien films weren't really that gory. It was just that constant sense of dread, the overall atmosphere of the films. Sheer terror. I hope Prometheus doesn't sacrifice that.

That's my fear for Prometheus. The tone. I mean let's be honest, the first two Alien films weren't really that gory. It was just that constant sense of dread, the overall atmosphere of the films. Sheer terror. I hope Prometheus doesn't sacrifice that.
i think when talking about prometheus way to many people are defending Ridley Scott. he doenst having balls and is naive. maybe even naive stupid .

if the studio tells you to make a pg13 movie and you go forcing a r rating you will lose. because when they cut it down it becomes a mess. i am telling you right now. mark my words. if the movie was filmed as a r rated movie then it will be a creative failure. because editing a r rated movie down to pg 13 becuse of tone is a pain in the ass. so much stuff needs to go out that you have a creative mess. if Scott was smart he filemd the movie from the beginning as a hard pg13. that way you have a lot room.

a big problem with Scott is that he a lot of times goes over budget. not like Verbinski,Cameron. they are makign from start a kid friendly movie for the masses. Scott is making slow paced complex movies where you already knwo that they will underperform. then on top going over budget .

i think you confused me with someone else. i am from europe. i understand the MPAA hypocrisy more then people from US.

are we going to talk about the MPAA rating system or what can kids watch and what not? i watched robocop and terminator and all other violent bloody movies when i was a little kid. and am fine. i think kids can watch those movies. the mpaa and stupid parents dont. hollywood is a buisness and its about money.

here is the hypocrisy that will not change anything. its on youtube.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0493459/

Yes it's a business but think about it. If you've got a 15+ plus rating you've solved two issues, you're given the opportunity to created edgier and more mature material and said material is now available to persons of 15 years instead of 17 meaning you've automatically increased the potential for income from what you had previously. If something like Girl With The Dragon Tattoo is rated 15+ you've just increased it's US box office because it's now accessible to more people.

Yes it's a business but think about it. If you've got a 15+ plus rating you've solved two issues, you're given the opportunity to created edgier and more mature material and said material is now available to persons of 15 years instead of 17 meaning you've automatically increased the potential for income from what you had previously. If something like Girl With The Dragon Tattoo is rated 15+ you've just increased it's US box office because it's now accessible to more people.
i understand more now what you mean.

i think when talking about prometheus way to many people are defending Ridley Scott. he doenst having balls and is naive. maybe even naive stupid .

if the studio tells you to make a pg13 movie and you go forcing a r rating you will lose. because when they cut it down it becomes a mess. i am telling you right now. mark my words. if the movie was filmed as a r rated movie then it will be a creative failure. because editing a r rated movie down to pg 13 becuse of tone is a pain in the ass. so much stuff needs to go out that you have a creative mess. if Scott was smart he filemd the movie from the beginning as a hard pg13. that way you have a lot room.

a big problem with Scott is that he a lot of times goes over budget. not like Verbinski,Cameron. they are makign from start a kid friendly movie for the masses. Scott is making slow paced complex movies where you already knwo that they will underperform. then on top going over budget .

Making the best movie you can is not being naive or stupid. He's an artist. He's a film maker that knows that he is good. I doubt he really gives a **** how much money his films make, he cares more about making good films, not films that appeal to every demographic under the sun.

Besides, he's said in interviews that it'll either be hard pg-13 or rated r. He wouldn't work with Fox again if they were gonna pull another Kingdom of Heaven. It's not like he needs the money or doesn't have other studios wanting to work with him.

He's in a win-win situation really. If he makes a great film, then Fox butcher it, he can just say "Well the studio made me tear it's heart out". He doesn't come off any worse.

Last edited:
Making the best movie you can is not being naive or stupid. He's an artist.

Besides, he's said in interviews that it'll either be hard pg-13 or rated r. He wouldn't work with Fox again if they were gonna pull another Kingdom of Heaven. It's not like he needs the money or doesn't have other studios wanting to work with him.
being an artist? dude people payed money to watch Kingdom of Heaven. and they got a studio cut movie that Scott didnt agree with. everyone knew that the studio wouldnt alow his cut in the theaters. so i lost my money. i want to watch Scott's movies in the theater and not on bluray/dvd 6 months when he will get the chance to realese his directors.
why is he working with FOX? because has a good workingrelationship. and because Robin Hood was a bomb.

and it doenst mater what Scott says about the rating this month. Prometheus will be pg13. that was the compromise with the studio because they didnt want to greenlight a R rated alien prequel.

Making the best movie you can is not being naive or stupid. He's an artist. He's a film maker that knows that he is good. I doubt he really gives a **** how much money his films make, he cares more about making good films, not films that appeal to every demographic under the sun.

He's in a win-win situation really. If he makes a great film, then Fox butcher it, he can just say "Well the studio made me tear it's heart out". He doesn't come off any worse.

Thing is a film maker should feel confident knowing the movie he's making isn't going to be chopped up so it's more family friendly. If you're going in to make an mature film then what should emerge should be a mature film and not one that's watered down.

He has a good working relationship? Yea, after Kingdom of Heaven? That's what i'm saying, i doubt he would work with Fox again if they were going to pull another Kingdom of Heaven.

Kingdom of Heaven would have bombed anyway, directors cut or not. Because I don't think American audiences are fond of the idea that Muslims are not one dimensional bad guys and Christian are not one dimensional good guys. Scott makes the films he wants to, he doesn't give a **** about box office, otherwise he wouldn't have even made Kingdom of Heaven or Body of Lies the way he did.

Robin Hood was mediocre, but it still made over double it's production budget, so i wouldn't call it a bomb.

Thing is a film maker should feel confident knowing the movie he's making isn't going to be chopped up so it's more family friendly. If you're going in to make an mature film then what should emerge should be a mature film and not one that's watered down.

True, but the director can't really be blamed if the studio gets cold feet and does something stupid.

The KoH example is the dumbest thing Fox did in the Rothman era. Forget your X-Men films etc. I mean Scott had just made the Oscar winning Gladiator. He wants to revisit the historical epic. What do you not do? You don't try and tell him what to do.

Prometheus will be just fine with whatever rating it gets. Despite dark b's constant claims to the contrary, Ridley Scott is not a eunuch nor an idiot. He's an artist and a savvy film maker. Two cuts exist, it's obvious. They're just skirting around the issue.

I sincerely the controversy over the documentary Bully is the first in a series of nails in the MPAA's coffin. It's a bunch of morons, with antiquated world view, who care more about not offending some inbred hillbillies than cinema as an art form.

In short;

[YT]lbB_HVcXpPk[/YT]

The only blockbuster type movies that are released in summer Hollywood has no issues with being R rated are comedies. They cost little to produce, but with the names in them, they can tout them as mega blockbusters during summer or winter and get a massive return on investment.

Well like i explained in the rest of my post, something that is the equivalent of the BBFC's 15.

Or they should just make PG-13 less strict.

And like Ridley Scott said about Rated R and Pg-13 himself "It doesn't matter, the little bastards will see them anyway" lol

And that's what they should do, make the PG-13 less strict.

The PG-13 rating was made in response to complaints about movies getting PG ratings that were really too violent for it, but not enough to warrant an R Rating. It made perfect sense on paper. But what ended up happening is that PG-13 ended up becoming the new PG instead. Those films that were truly supposed to be PG ended up getting bumped up to PG-13, what used to be G Rated films got bumped up to PG (to the point that PG these days is considered to be for kids and grannies), and G became virtually impossible to get for a live action film ("Nothing Offensive" will be given PG today by the MPAA just for not being a cartoon). Those films that the PG-13 was created for ended up getting bumped to R Ratings anyway, exactly the thing that the PG-13 rating was supposed to prevent.

That is the real failure of the current rating system. The ratings themselves are fine, but they are not being used for what they were designed for.

it would be a dream come true if Pg13 became less strict. but it will never happen. first the biggest problem is MPAA. the second problem are the parents in the US. so if there was small chance that MPAA would change it ,those crazy parents would protest and get so much attention that it would end in one month.

what was the last known movie where the parents had a problem with the rating? i remember in the last 12 months that there was a movie that got a lot attention.

I don't think R-rated films are going anywhere. Big-budget R-rated movies have their time and place in the industry during certain times of year.

After Devil Inside, Contraband, Underworld 4, Safe House, Act of Valor, 21 Jump Street and The Grey all opened at number 1 and kicked ass at the box office, I think the R rating is losing it's stigma.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"