The End of the Big Budget R rated movie?

Funny thing is that I'm a pro rated R in most cases. Let me clarify, I should have worded my post a bit better. While I said that it doesn't necessarily need to be R, I would like it to be R since all the past Alien films were R rated.

Just like how I was disappointed that they cut the last Die Hard film down to PG-13 and the talk in the past that the same was going to happen to The Expendables.

Ahhh fair enough :up:

I think it's more about tone and the level of threat, more than blood and guts and swearing.

From what i know of Prometheus, that it seems to be creeping into full blown "body horror" I just think if it's PG-13 it'll be neutered. And with "body horror" it isn't necessarily the actual visual of what happens, it's the thought of it, how it plays on your mind, which makes it horrific.

I keep bringing it up because those complaining would still be complaining if those films came out today saying they aren't enough. And honestly? Just as much money is spent on those as everything else except for huge summer blockbusters. Unless you're one of the people who imagine or expect studios to put out HUGE BLOCKBUSTER sized movies (such as in the 125+ million range) as rated R. As said, some people are even clamoring for Batman or Spider-Man to be R. When they can easily re-create something that has the same tone as those rated R films before, and WITH MORE MONEY (honestly - look at production value in something like 'Safe House' (most recent) to those movies of old and it's evidently a lot more cleaner). Prometheus? Probably going to be R. This Total Recall? Doesn't seem like it needs it, I mean - just look at Minority Report - or, oh wait is that junk cause it's not R too?

Also last 'tent-pole' touted R rated move? The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo... or did that just become invisible too along with the rest?

I just don't see what people are expecting. Nothing's changed in terms of the films put out there, just that some films are easier to make now. Also I'm pretty sure a lot more blockbusters are made now than before. "Safe House' years ago for example probably could have competed during the summer. Denzel and Reynolds. Action packed. But, now - it just wouldn't do as well in those release months.

ANOTHER NOTE PEOPLE -- 'THE CABIN IN THE WOODS' -- RATED R. For those who may be of the type complaining, and I have heard them, "why aren't there any more R rated horror films?" In the lists a page back, you'd probably see a lot too.

Last edited:
An R-rating sometimes goes beyond nudity/gore/cursing. Don't Be Afraid of the Dark had little-to-none of those, and yet it still receiving an R-rating - because it was deemed "too intense."

The whole King Speech thing was a fiasco too.

I've hear more curse words thrown around on Xbox Live in a week than I hear in a year's worth of movies. Ironically enough, the ones screaming the curse words are usually children.

I think some movies need that R-rating. Look at some of these non-R sequels to R movies:

Live Free or Die Hard
Terminator Salvation
Alien vs Predator

These are examples of sequels to movies that were edgy, each in their own way. And they all sucked. Why? Because these films set a precedent for their content over time, and they all had good reasons for it. Die Hard was edgy. Terminator was harsh and cold. Aliens/Predator were vicious and about survival. When you take that R away, they lose that edge the series need. Why does a robot holocaust on humanity show little to no blood? These are robots who put their fists through your stomach, and they rule the world. Why are they no longer so cold? Why does the violence in Die Hard go from gritty to video game goofy? Where are the Predators taking there prizes? etc. These franchises built themseleves around R for a reason, and too many franchises/reboots are sacrificing the method for dollars, and this is wrong. You sequel or remake a property to make money, yes. But when you make a bad installment into a beloved series, you should be held accountable for it.

That said, I doubt Prometheus is not an R.

The problem is not that R pushes things too far but that pg-13 often dilutes what's there.

I think in the past a films would be made then it's rating would be decided and that's that. Now films are being tailored made to their rating. Suddenly the rating must come first which is i think a mistake. Let the creators make then decide what rating will come, not the other way around.

That said, I doubt Prometheus is not an R.

Prometheus Should Be Rated R But Will Wind Up PG-13, Says Ridley Scott

Talking to the UK magazine Empire, Scott wound up talking about the American rating for his new film Prometheus, acknowledging that there's a big financial incentive to make the expensive sci-fi project a PG-13, but that he wanted to push the envelope as close as possible to an R-Rating.

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Prometheus-Should-Rated-R-Wind-Up-PG-13-Says-Ridley-Scott-30196.html

This is my point here.

Last edited:
The Resident Evil franchise has been going on for 10 years, each film being R-rated. Though I feel they could probably pass with a PG-13.

The problem is not that R pushes things too far but that pg-13 often dilutes what's there.

I think in the past a films would be made then it's rating would be decided and that's that. Now films are being tailored made to their rating. Suddenly the rating must come first which is i think a mistake. Let the creators make then decide what rating will come, not the other way around.

I see how you ignored what I just put about budgeting and went onto something else. Yeah, that undoubtably happens sometimes. But to say rated R movies are few and far between now in comparison to years ago - I just don't see how that's the case. Thus, when movies need to be R? Guess what? Often, they're R.

Just the blockbusters these days are mainly fantasy based rather than how they used to be all the way back then. While those films are still being produced, and on part in today's terms with the same budget they had back then - just released in different months.

As said - you're dismissing 'Total Recall' right now purely out of thinking it will be PG-13. While, at least in my opinion, 'Minority Report' and 'AI' stand up there amongst some of the greatest science-fiction movies in terms of visuals alone. I'm on guard with TR, just because I'm on guard with the story approach itself - not the rating.

When it comes to 'Prometheus,' I'm still waiting to see. While there is a financial incentive. He did say he's pushing the envelope and the studio may very well allow the R rated version. Basically sounded like he went in knowing the studio may hold him back, but kept that in mind. At this point he may even be talking about the possibility of a PG-13 cut and an R cut. Most likely. And that the studio may lean towards the PG-13 for the financial benefits, but even so he'll try to make it as true to his intent. Now it's the question of the studio. If this was MONTHS ago before filming - then, yeah, it would be about going into the film to make it PG-13, but it's now meaning post-pro.

Last edited:
Fox will find a way to make Prometheus PG-13. I am certain of this.

Fox will find a way to make Prometheus PG-13. I am certain of this.

Old Fox? Definitely. New Fox? I think they'll go with the version that has the best screening ratings and is the best product of said film. They seem to be more about quality now than box office alone. Or at least with their previous blockbusters.

It does seem like Fox have woken the **** up in the last couple of years.

Besides, all Prometheus needs is some attention getting controversy from the religious freaks going ape **** about the story and you'll have a guaranteed blockbuster, rated r or not.

It does seem like Fox have woken the **** up in the last couple of years.

Besides, all Prometheus needs is some attention getting controversy from the religious freaks going ape **** about the story and you'll have a guaranteed blockbuster, rated r or not.

Exactly, with Fox.

Also for 'Prometheus' the main determiner is probably going to be test screenings. If the audience loves the rated R version a lot of over the PG-13 version, they'll keep the R version. If there's no difference, they may go PG-13. If the audience really loves the film across the board and they can see it as being a success - they'll probably keep the R there too because it won't seem like such a big risk financially.

As to those saying "just release it anyways!" Remember that film is also a business. If there is any risk involved, the studio could chance to lose a lot of money. However, with that said, if the odds are looking good - they'll probably opt for the R rated version.

Basically - if it seems like they'll gain money rather than lose money or just make even, they won't hesitate and choose the PG-13 version to at least ensure a greater number of audience members to help them. The time that interview took place? They're obviously in the cutting room right now and PG-13 or R is the big question, like it naturally would be with a tent pole film.

Last edited:
Speaking of Prometheus, when do you guys think the rating will be announced?

Speaking of Prometheus, when do you guys think the rating will be announced?

I'd say look no early than mid-April, probably around May 1, definitely by May 15. That's the usual and a little more than usual since it's not as cut-and-dry as some other films out there due to financial pressures which would be determined and laid in stone by audience reaction.

Can someone explain why there's no movement to get a new rating in between PG-13 and R? That seems to be the obvious solution here, to me anyway.

We live in a vanilla film age where no-one is allowed to be offended.

I actually think movies as a whole are far less PC than they were in the 1990s. Though action is less gory (but often better).

Last two years of R-rated mainstream hits:

-Hangover 1/2
-Bridesmaids
-The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
-Immortals
-Shutter Island
-Black Swan
-The Expendables
-Kick-Ass
-The Town
-Inglorious Basterds
-District 9
-Zombieland

Not all action but a bit more eclectic than just a bunch of Bay-esque action movies, in my opinion.

Why don't they just lower the age requirement for R films?

People are way obsessed about the rating. It seems like 90% of the time, people are not asking the movie to change. Just the rating itself.
Well it originates from filmmakers and studios who worry about the ratings in order to get the most box office rather than letting the story flow and be itself. When studios worry about films first and ratings after, then people will follow but that is certainly not happening now.

My question to the OP though is: How many big budget R rated movies has there been in the past anyway? I can only think of Aliens, The Terminator Series, and The Matrix movies. I guess you can count in war epics like Gladiator too but usually those have a modest budget.

It seems these days if you plan on making a block buster film the only way to go now is pg-13. Movies that should conceivably be rated r like Prometheus, the new Total Recall, the last terminator, even The Expendables 2 (before the big backlash) etc. they seem to keep finding themselves rated pg-13.

You used to have big budget/blockbuster movies that were rated r like the Matrix series, the bad boy series, 1st two terminators, pretty much every big action franchise in the 80's into the 90's. What's going on with all this watering down?

Are we ever going to have an adult big budget franchise again?

I dunno I'm sure. But to just add one thing Total Recall is based off of a short story, that was not endowed with gore and tons of sex. That was Paul/O'Bannon more so. This reboot can be a hard PG-13, and be fine, Minority Report was superb like that. There is no rule on the "R" thing with Total Recall, this is just a different interpretation of it.

As for the others, I dunno it if ever will, Matrix Reloaded did well as an R, so do a lot of these comedies.

I actually think movies as a whole are far less PC than they were in the 1990s. Though action is less gory (but often better).

Last two years of R-rated mainstream hits:

-Hangover 1/2
-Bridesmaids
-The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
-Immortals
-Shutter Island
-Black Swan
-The Expendables
-Kick-Ass
-The Town
-Inglorious Basterds
-District 9
-Zombieland

Not all action but a bit more eclectic than just a bunch of Bay-esque action movies, in my opinion.
Good point. I don't think most of those would have had as much mainstream success in the 90s.

But studios making big budget movies play it too safe now to make many R-rated blockbusters. It seems like most of the R-rated mainstream hits in recent years were considered surprising in their box office successes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"