The Equalizer

Discussion in 'Misc. Films' started by Hunter Rider, Apr 19, 2005.

?

Rate the Movie

1. 10

2. 9

3. 8

4. 7

5. 6

6. 5

7. 4

8. 3

9. 2

10. 1

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. samsnee

samsnee Well-Known Member

I would’ve called this The Sequelizer

2. Aximili86

Aximili86 Well-Known Member

Finally caught the first one the other night, pretty ****ty. Fuqua's not what he used to be back with Training Day, that's for sure.

3. James T. Kirk

James T. Kirk Captain

Anyone here a fan of the original TV series?

4. Mandon Knight

Mandon Knight Uncle Ben's top boy

Loved it.

5. James T. Kirk

James T. Kirk Captain

:highfive:

6. KRYPTON INC.

KRYPTON INC. Incorporated Kryptonian

I can't get the hate for the first film in the least. I thought it was great.

Saw the sequel yesterday and thought it was just as good. Denzel's Mcall is alqays engaging and interesting. It baffles me that there's such dislike of these movies.

Brutikus likes this.
  7. Mysteryman

Mysteryman Well-Known Member

I saw the film last Saturday.
    I enjoyed it quite a bit.
    I have recommended it to a friend.
    I REALLY liked the last few minutes of the film.

Brutikus likes this.
  8. the last son

the last son Well-Known Member

Liked it better than the first. Would see a third.

Brutikus likes this.
  9. KaijuDude1992

KaijuDude1992 Well-Known Member

Saw it yesterday along with MI6 and while that's a much better film this was a solid sequel. I enjoyed it about as much as the first movie overall even though I think this one has weaker villains and a somewhat underwhelming finale. The action sequences are still very well done and as brutal as ever though. Denzel is great as well and it says something about his level of talent when IMO one of the best scenes in the movie isn't even an action sequence, but an exchange of dialogue between two characters.

7/10

10. Blackman

Blackman C'mon Son

I liked it. But I think the first one is way better. I bought the first on Blu Ray. Probably wouldn't with this unless it's really cheap

I would see a third tho

Brutikus likes this.
  11. KRYPTON INC.

KRYPTON INC. Incorporated Kryptonian

I would agree that the antagonists are nowhere near as charismatic as Marton was in the first one where it was palpable that he was the, no pun, Equal of Denzel. I mean they just were a great hero/villain matchup. That said, I think this film kinda didn't want to repeat too much from the first film in the way the villain was done. It's already by its nature going to repeat some things. McCall helping various people, peeks into his life before he faked his death etc.

I also think that in this film you don't even know exactly who McCall is going against until much later in the story so it couldn't have the same dynamic as the first film's villain. That said what made that up for me was the way this story revealed just how personal the story turned out to be for the main character, tying into his life before as well as, similarly to the first film still giving him antagonists that could match his skill.

Given what is further revealed in this film I think the way to do a third one with resonance would be for Robert while going about his usual Robin Hood actions finds he is being hunted by someone that feels he himself needs to be "Equalized" for actions he took as a government black ops guy.

12. Mandon Knight

Mandon Knight Uncle Ben's top boy

Equalizer 2

It opened here in the UK on Friday and caught it. Loved the first one, this one, in my view (pardon the pun) was it's equal, in a different way.

The first was ferocious, especially the end sequence, this was more measured and 'calculating', the pace was more static and had more character 'beats' leading to a solid conspiracy/cover up conclusion. Having said that the 'reveal' was WAAAY to obvious and I thought they were building too a double bluff, but no, it really was that simple, and I'm not sure whether it was a decision taken on purpose, but the film makers don't really even try to take you down another path of thought as the viewer with any in-camera or story tricks, it's like there's the way you are going, and we are taking you there. Predictable it may be, but it's very well done and DW is outstanding as ever, this character suits his sensibilities very well and he looks so comfortable in both the aspects/sides of the hitman/overseer of peace relationship.

The lighting / staging, stunt work all solid, strong cinematography, great performances and an enjoyable film. 8/10

13. AVEITWITHJAMON

AVEITWITHJAMON Cloud kicks ass

Just saw this, I actually enjoyed it more than first movie. The villain wasn’t quite as good and it was obvious who the villain was going’s to be. But for me this one had better pacing, I got bored a few times in the first movie, but I never did here. I also thought the finale in the storm swept town was great, and quite topical at the moment also. Denzel is great in the role, I also thought the sequel had more emotion than the first movie and better ways to connect with McCall. I see this has made decently money for its budget, hope we get a 3rd movie to close out the trilogy. 7.5/10

14. Hunter Rider

Hunter Rider Ronin

Is it still on the cinema in the UK?

15. -VisionsVision-

-VisionsVision- Geralt of Rivia

Watching 2 later today, can't wait.

AVEITWITHJAMON likes this.
  16. AVEITWITHJAMON

AVEITWITHJAMON Cloud kicks ass

Yeah I caught it here in Liverpool, still a few showings on per day here also.

Brutikus likes this.
  17. rayc1971

rayc1971 Well-Known Member

these films are low on the budget side and make a profit so i think we will get a 3rd this second film could have made even more if it didnt come out a week before mission impossible i would have released it in aug or sept like the 1st film

Brutikus likes this.
  18. -VisionsVision-

-VisionsVision- Geralt of Rivia

Saw 2 tonight, loved it. Even teared up at the end.