The Dark Knight The Godfather of Comics

Doc Samson

Superhero Psychiatrist
Reaction score
When critics compared this movie to one of the greatest films of all time, I initially scoffed....until I saw TDK and dug a bit under the surface.

If you look at it, the character of Bruce Wayne is eerily similar to Michael Corleone for a number of reasons.

-Both men are born into great wealth, the sons of very powerful men they admire extremely

-They are each very oblivious to the inner workings of the underworld, and after tragedy, they both make the decision to enter into a world for which they aren't prepared

-They go on a leave of absence where they do some soul searching, and return much colder, and determined to preserve what they're fathers stood for

-Both of them make crucial decisions that alienate them from the ones they love (especially women) that utimately destroys everything, including their father's name, while at the same time, doing what is right for the ideal of what they're fathers stood for

-At the end of both sequels, they are forever changed and isolated from all those they care about, for the sake of winning the battle they can never escape from, wishfully thinking that they can somehow reach a place where they don't have to be the men they've become anymore, no matter how they're actions may have inadvertently locked them into a never-ending struggle

If anything, the ending of TDK brought about memories of Michael Corleone sitting, alone, reflecting on a minor victory at the expense of his soul. For fans of the godfather, I wonder what you guys think about these two powerful, lonely, & tragic men.....

I think they're worlds apart in terms of character, but the similarities you mention are interesting.

I'd say that Dent and Michael have more in common, since both of their stories are a good man's fall into darkness.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"