The Dark Knight Similarities between TDK and The Dark Knight Returns

• Thread starter Professor Joker
  • Start date
Superman's gonna be in "TDK" !? :wow:

CFE

Yes, look in the spoilers board, in the cliffhanger ending not shown to the media thread.

This thread makes me sad in so many ways...

To address the actual question at hand, yes - you could easily compare TDK to TDKR.

Ignoring the rather unimportant literal similarities (which is almost limited to the "Sons of the Batman" - "Citizens for Batman") what you have to look is much broader, the impact it has on the medium and genre.

TDKR (along with Watchmen - which coincidentally also comes to film in what looks to faithful manner (god bless Zach Snyder)) completely changed the industry and the way Superhero stories were viewed by the masses. If the plentiful reviews are correct (and there is no reason to even consider for a moment they are not) then it looks like this movie may change the expectations one has for a "Superhero film".

Like TDKR, the mainstream may expect darker, more complex superhero films and that is where the true similarity lies. The potential impact on the medium. Not silly meaningless things like Batman riding a motor cycle, Batman fighting cops or other aspects that are not at all exclusive to Frank Miller's creation.

You have a very valid point, but this is comic book message board land where everything is taken literally unless there is a smiley face posted after it.

Funny how every Finnish newspaper says that TDK and TDKR are alike. (If there's something about TDK)
But they never tell why they are similiar.
One magazine said "Frank Miller's world is more realistic etc.", but why didn't they compare TDK to Year One then?
But yeah the same magazine said that Frank Miller's movie works are the Sin City movies, and upcoming Watchmen movie.
So thats it for their facts. :p

I don't think TDK and TDKR should be compared, TDK's tone is more like Jeph Loeb, Bob Kane and Dennis 'O Neil's Batman comic books. Before Batman Begins was released David Goyer was asked by someone that will Begins be a Frank Miller Batman and Goyer said no but said that some elements from Year One were used. also I think TDK will be way better & faithful to the 30's and 70's comic books than The Dark Knight Returns IMO.

I kinda observe it as an evolution of a medium. I guess it works with music and books as well. When certain formulas become stagnant the natural process is for them to be challenged (in terms of artistic medium). So we come to comics and the two 'main' examples of this we have are TDKR and Watchmen. Not that I don't think it was creeping in before but these are certainly the most recognised for this. Then we come to movie's/film in particular the comic book genre. The formula for these types of films is becoming stagnant (I feel), not that there are still some great movies but there is a certain predictability to them that doesn't give me the drive and excitment that they used to and I'm happy to wait for more recent films to come out on DVD. But ironically I think there may be an evolution happening with the comic book movie, with TDK and Watchmen and it is time to be re awoken again. It's just an observation but I think there are some similarities between TDK and TDKR just not literal.

I kinda observe it as an evolution of a medium. I guess it works with music and books as well. When certain formulas become stagnant the natural process is for them to be challenged (in terms of artistic medium). So we come to comics and the two 'main' examples of this we have are TDKR and Watchmen. Not that I don't think it was creeping in before but these are certainly the most recognised for this. Then we come to movie's/film in particular the comic book genre. The formula for these types of films is becoming stagnant (I feel), not that there are still some great movies but there is a certain predictability to them that doesn't give me the drive and excitment that they used to and I'm happy to wait for more recent films to come out on DVD. But ironically I think there may be an evolution happening with the comic book movie, with TDK and Watchmen and it is time to be re awoken again. It's just an observation but I think there are some similarities between TDK and TDKR just not literal.

I agree, just minor similarities not literal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"