The Hip Hop Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Jigga and all the other alleged occultist artists just wanna get people talking about them which = sold records. So I guess that particular mission has been a success.

For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul - Mark 8:36

There's no doubt Jigga is doing this to bring fame, money, and self-glory to himself. Whatever his reasons, he's not a Christian and he's carrying out occultist agenda. I don't doubt that many industry artists do this because they know it will fatten their pockets, (yet bring about despair, destruction, and confusion).

Serious Christians need to stop listening to him, Kanye, and other idols and listen to singers who want to uplift Jesus.

So you must not have ever really been a big hip-hop fan then. Because it has never been "christian-centric".

Serious Christians perhaps need to stop playing god deciding who is or isn't Christian. There is many different denominations of Christianity who believe in various different stuff who is to say which ones right as they all believe their way is the right way.

Plenty of people claim to be christian and do unchristian things those people are not limited to Hip Hop

no need to stop listening to hip hop if your still watching t.v. its all run by the same ppl. so keep bump n what u like and if you got sense be your own man or woman and follow no one its called a strong mind. use it some times, nobody would even know about the symbols if ppl would just enjoycthe music and video and keep the other stuff to their self lol

For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul - Mark 8:36

There's no doubt Jigga is doing this to bring fame, money, and self-glory to himself. Whatever his reasons, he's not a Christian and he's carrying out occultist agenda. I don't doubt that many industry artists do this because they know it will fatten their pockets, (yet bring about despair, destruction, and confusion).

Serious Christians need to stop listening to him, Kanye, and other idols and listen to singers who want to uplift Jesus.

I happened upon this after googling "Do what thou wilt". Pretty interesting stuff. It won't put a dent in my Jay-Z fandom b/c I'm a fan of the man's music, not necessarily the man himself

As far as music that uplifts Christ, is any of that ever good? I listen to some Christian metal, but the guy(s) are usual screaming incoherently to the point where I'm just enjoying the music. But I can't imagine Christian rap being nearly as good as the stuff most people listen to(excluding the rap about b***hes, hoes, money, and drugs)

http://live.drjays.com/index.php/2010/01/14/jay-z-speaks-on-religious-beliefs-with-angie-martinez/

He says he believes in God, but he doesn't believe in Christianity in particular. He believes every religion that calls out God (Islam and Christianity) are calling to same God, which true Bible-believing Christians don't believe. He claims he doesn't believe in Hell, which he means he doesn't believe in condemnation for rejecting Jesus. You can't be a Christian and not believe that Hell exists or that God doesn't punish sin.
This isn't really anti-Christianity as it is a rejection of the modern day religious constructs. As a religious man I can see why you'd feel uneasy, but it's not like he pushing this aggressive campaign to overthrow religion as a whole.

The music video On to The Next One has loads of anti-Christian imagery,

In the music video, Jay-z shows imagery of a ram and a goat's head (symbols for the Devil), a woman drinking blood, a picture of blood being poured onto a skull, worship of money, images of Heath-Joker (anarchist symbol), hooded effeminate figure with animal tattoos, and a short shot of crucified Jesus in between two bullets (Masonic symbols dissing Christ).
This one I'm well aware of, and is one of the times where the speculators have little room to be considered fanatics. The imagery and direction is overt, not to mention completely irrelevant to the song -- I truly can't make sense of this, except that perhaps Jay is mocking those who are so obsessed with his religious/political affiliations.

If you're a serious Christian, drop Jay-z like a bad habit. and most mainstream rap as well.
No one who's a serious Christian is going to listen to rap in the first place, I would think. It's a culture that isn't afraid to delve into dark elements, which many of faith would consider to be an evil path. I'm indifferent on the matter. As someone who is almost completely neutral on faith, I'd prefer neither side do too much preaching. In rare instances though I actually admire topical songs that deal with the concept of faith, but with an underlying and thoughtful message (be it positive or negative). However that's more of an appreciation on embracing poetic elements of rap rather than the subject matter.

No one who's a serious Christian is going to listen to rap in the first place, I would think. It's a culture that isn't afraid to delve into dark elements, which many of faith would consider to be an evil path. I'm indifferent on the matter.

There are some artists and songs who I think would considered "safe" to listen to if your goal was to avoid sinful lyrics. You won't be singing along to the latest Gucci Mane song though :o

So you must not have ever really been a big hip-hop fan then. Because it has never been "christian-centric".

I pretty much stopped listening to most hip-hop about 4 years ago around time I graduated college. Last rap album I think I bought was Nas's Streets Disciples. Ironically, the only artists I would occassionally listen to in past few years was Jay-z or other very mainstream rap. But now, even the small amount I listened to I'm started to grow out of it as I try to build closer relationship with God and become a more responsible individual, I can't listen to this stuff anymore, especially when its obviously contradicting everything I stand for.

To be honest, Kanye's last 2 music videos really woke me up a point of no return. Not being Christian-centric is one thing, but even when you take out all the "gangster rap"....the deliberate anti-Christian symbolism in the music is getting much stronger and blatant. It's just a sign of the wickedness in the industry. I can't stand with any of that and hope other see it that way.

I happened upon this after googling "Do what thou wilt". Pretty interesting stuff. It won't put a dent in my Jay-Z fandom b/c I'm a fan of the man's music, not necessarily the man himself

As far as music that uplifts Christ, is any of that ever good? I listen to some Christian metal, but the guy(s) are usual screaming incoherently to the point where I'm just enjoying the music. But I can't imagine Christian rap being nearly as good as the stuff most people listen to(excluding the rap about b***hes, hoes, money, and drugs)

Some Christian hip-hop is actually quite good. I've got some cds you can borrow.

Serious Christians perhaps need to stop playing god deciding who is or isn't Christian. There is many different denominations of Christianity who believe in various different stuff who is to say which ones right as they all believe their way is the right way.

Well, I'm quoting Jay-z himself. He's not a Christian if he doesn't believe Jesus is the one true path to God. If someone claims to be X, but make statements that contradict X doctrine, you have to call him out on it.

Plenty of people claim to be christian and do unchristian things those people are not limited to Hip Hop

Yes, Christians sin, mess up, act like hypocrites...but its a whole other arena to intentionally make blasphemous music attacking the Christian faith. Jay-z is clearly doing the latter. I'm glad no one in here is truly denying it anymore.

This isn't really anti-Christianity as it is a rejection of the modern day religious constructs. As a religious man I can see why you'd feel uneasy, but it's not like he pushing this aggressive campaign to overthrow religion as a whole.

I agree by that one statement he made I wouldn't conclude he was trying to overthrow religion. But the other stuff he and his cronies are doing clearly establish what his agenda is.

This one I'm well aware of, and is one of the times where the speculators have little room to be considered fanatics. The imagery and direction is overt, not to mention completely irrelevant to the song -- I truly can't make sense of this, except that perhaps Jay is mocking those who are so obsessed with his religious/political affiliations.

Funny thing is many of Jay's critics were dismissed as "looking for stuff" in his music prior to this video. But the next video he goes all out. But why would he go "all out" just to mock a couple of internet bloggers? He made that music video for everyone, not just his "haters". Jay's a smart businessman, he knows he'll have fans who'll defend whatever he does or make excuse on his behalf. It's a chess move. A lot of this type of symbolism is done in a way to subliminally send strong messages to fans while creating enough deniability to dismiss critics. The fact that the imagery and the song don't have any connection should raise eye brows. These music videos are professionally done, millions of dollars are being invested....marketers to execs are examining every corner and angle of the video to make sure it sends the message they want. So they wouldn't spend all this time and energy on crap they didn't care about. Jay is putting blatant occult crap in his music because he feels emboldened, reached a new height in his career, and that he can marginalize his critics enough not to worry about them. That doesn't mean one just ignore his agenda behind the blatant messages he's pumping.

Some Christian hip-hop is actually quite good.

I find this very hard to believe. Most of th stuff I've heard is basically the equivalent of Christian Rock, where it's more about the message than it is about making good quality music.

Sentinel Mind do you listen to Lupe Fiasco?

I've heard some of his music, I think he's pretty talented. I don't listen to him regularly as I don't really buy rap albums anymore...I use to buy singles here and there. I liked some of his songs like "Kick, Push" and "Daydreamin". I'd say he's one of the better ones when it comes to talent and content, relatively speaking. I think I read he's Muslim. I had a female friend who had the biggest crush on him.

Wylie Times said:
I find this very hard to believe. Most of th stuff I've heard is basically the equivalent of Christian Rock, where it's more about the message than it is about making good quality music.

There are rappers who are talented that rap about God. In college, I had a friend give me a CD from the Christian rap group Cross Movement. However, I do agree rap isn't best form to uplift God. Even when you're listening to a group like Cross Movement, your first reaction isn't really "Wow, they're uplifting God"...its more "wow, I can't believe these Christians can flow this nice". You're essentially trying being entertained with Christian rap than worshipping the Lord. Only exception are rappers like TobyMac whom not really feelin'.

I've been slapping All City Chess Club (Lupe Fiasco, Blu, Asher Roth, B.o.B Chuck Inglish, Dosage, Mickey Rocks) "Beaming" damn near non stop since October, its way to godly.

Seriously if you haven't listened to this you should make the time.

ACCC Beaming

"Touch art, lush heart, brush my *****s shoulders off
Now that blunt’s in sojourn, you know that protocol
Show me y’all’s(?), maybe not, play me not, say we not remote at all
Roger that, scholar‘s(?) back, solid black go guard"

Anyone hear Wale flip out on the radio?
I cant put the actual link because it has WAY too much swearing.

But damn dude is pissed at Bossman starting beef.

I think that like any stereotype, you will always find exceptions. I've heard some good Christian rock from back in the day, too.

There are rappers who are talented that rap about God. In college, I had a friend give me a CD from the Christian rap group Cross Movement. However, I do agree rap isn't best form to uplift God. Even when you're listening to a group like Cross Movement, your first reaction isn't really "Wow, they're uplifting God"...its more "wow, I can't believe these Christians can flow this nice". You're essentially trying being entertained with Christian rap than worshipping the Lord. Only exception are rappers like TobyMac whom not really feelin'.

Ha, Cross Movement is the exact group I was going to recommend. I haven't listened to any Christian music in many years, but back in the 90's I remember really enjoying their "House of Representatives" album. Very talented guys.

You don't want to come with the whole Christian angle and blatantly be viewed as hypocritical either, which I see a lot of these cats doing.

Christian based stuff is full of hypocrisy anyway, man. I was raised in the church, still go from time to time, but I'm not blind to what goes on.

While this statement is a generalization, terry :oldrazz:, I don't even bother to go "from time to time" any more. Haven't in years. When I was younger I was religious to the point that I was a worship leader at church. Crazy how things can change! At my church, I definitely encountered some of the biggest hypocrites I've ever seen, anywhere. And if I went now, I'D be one of the hypocrites, so I don't go.

While this statement is a generalization, terry :oldrazz:, I don't even bother to go "from time to time" any more. Haven't in years. When I was younger I was religious to the point that I was a worship leader at church. Crazy how things can change! At my church, I definitely encountered some of the biggest hypocrites I've ever seen, anywhere. And if I went now, I'D be one of the hypocrites, so I don't go.

Damn, you caught me before I changed my comment, girl. But I think I just got jaded over time. Priorities seem to be all over the map to me.

FYI there's a track that just leaked featuring Eminem, Dre, 50, and Jay. It's called "Syllables" and was supposed to be on Relapse 2 before the entire album got scrapped.

Not really worth the hype considering who's featured, but it's worthy to note that 50 and Jay did their thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"