The Hood's play shows up the fallacies and limitations of SHRA!

Fantasyartist

Civilian
Reaction score
Does anybody notice that The Hood's plan shows up the limitations and fallacies of the SHRA?
Firstly by forcing heroes/heroines to register with the Feds( and "blow" their cover), the SHRA has effectively put their relatives/friends in mortal danger( pace Greer Nelson aka "Tigra's" mother). Arguments that only a small minority of governmental officials know the heroes true identities is irrelevant( if the KGB can penetrate the CIA and FBI- pace Alrdich Ames and Robert Hansen, if the Mafia can infiltrate the Witness Protection Programme- and neither group was "super-powered", then imagine what somebody working for Dr.Doom, Magneto or even the Hood can do)
Secondly the whole"civil war" has destroyed many of the restraining influences in the Marvel Universe even if they were villains- Kingpin, Hammerhead et al)

Anybody think as I do?

Terry

You are absolutely right.

So much for Stark being a 'futurist' :whatever:

Seriously has there ever been anything as lame as that whole 'futurist' angle?
If he's so bloody clairvoyant how come he never sees ANYTHING coming?

your right the civil war storyline shuld've been rejected when first brought up

Yea, but this is more of the angle of organised crime ALWAYS has quite a rise after every war in history. Bendis talks about this a lot, the most organised criminals always finds chinks in the armour to exlpoit at a time of great chenge. This is just common sense.

Besides, the whole point of 'Civil War,' was that the public voted for registration from the start. There was no real choice in the matter.

And this makes sense in a 'real world,' ideal. We live in a time where terrorsts wear masks... Would we really be happy with strange people wearing masks blowing up our neighbourhood? Can you imagine the amount of insurance payouts we'd have to do on a day to day basis?

Knowing the characters through reading comics, I'd be on Cap's side, but living as a civilian in their world? I'd be pro SHRA. Even if our 'police,' have to accept these dangers. Part of the job...

Sure it does. Just look at HoM, the Clone Saga and Heroes Reborn. Those are all excellent. :up:

I think the SHRA shows up the limitations and fallacies of the SHRA.

Yeah, the Hood's exploitation of the SHRA's problems is just the answer to all the "what if's" those problems brought up way back when it was first conceived. All of the heroes were concerned for what their secret identities' being on any sort of official record might mean for their families in the first place.

I always considered the SHRA to be a gold mine to actual criminals. They can get badges merely by offering lip service to the feds while every superhero's identity and family is collected in one database for hacking. Hell, the Black Box alone could just score them all and sell them to the underworld, and that's a little known F-Lister. It does very little to actually help superheroes, especially since the last NEW AVENGERS showed beat cops shooting at Tigra anyway.

And yes, Tigra's identity was likely public anyway, being that she was and is a registered police officer (who should be wearing a badge on her belt at this point, so the locals know).

The best part of it is attempting to mobilize superheroes into teams in every state, rather than centralizing them in NY, CA, and haphazardly across the next 50 states.

I agree that CW was a decent idea, executed very poorly. Had they gotten a writer who wasn't as simplistic and devotedly anti-American as Millar and had they focused on telling a cohesive story, not fulfulling a checklist of shockers (Spidey Unmasks! Thor returns as a clone!), the ending might not have seemed like such an abysmal cop-out.

Still, it was superior to HOM. Thank Bendis for lowering the bar for all 21st century Marvel events.

Considering that she was already public, this proves nothing really. When I see the Hood beating the crap outta....wait a minute, who the hell even has a secret ID anymore?

My mind comes up a blank too. ummm, I guess Iron Fist? No, I think his ID is about as secret as Green Arrow's is.

My mind comes up a blank too. ummm, I guess Iron Fist? No, I think his ID is about as secret as Green Arrow's is.

Danny Rand is at least trying to make it somewhat questionable, like Murdock is with Daredevil. His current ploy is going, "I WAS Iron Fist, but that new guy is someone else. Happens all the time. Like that new Daredevil recently? Yeah."

I mean, this is a universe with The Punisher/Frank Castle can pose as Captain America for a day or two.

Lacking a secret identity is okay for some heroes and nutso for others. It is one of the things that KILLS Spider-Man.

But, yeah, CW and onward, there is far more pressure and unforgiving laws in regards to superheroes than supervillains. In some ways this was always the case at Marvel, but SHRA makes it moreso. I mean, the government has more faith in Bullseye than Spider-Man. That is 12 degrees of messed up.

since in the past a super powered penis could beat the hood, who cares?

Considering that she was already public, this proves nothing really. When I see the Hood beating the crap outta....wait a minute, who the hell even has a secret ID anymore?

Ronin? About 6 people know he's Clint

Danny Rand is at least trying to make it somewhat questionable, like Murdock is with Daredevil. His current ploy is going, "I WAS Iron Fist, but that new guy is someone else. Happens all the time. Like that new Daredevil recently? Yeah."

I mean, this is a universe with The Punisher/Frank Castle can pose as Captain America for a day or two.

Lacking a secret identity is okay for some heroes and nutso for others. It is one of the things that KILLS Spider-Man.

But, yeah, CW and onward, there is far more pressure and unforgiving laws in regards to superheroes than supervillains. In some ways this was always the case at Marvel, but SHRA makes it moreso. I mean, the government has more faith in Bullseye than Spider-Man. That is 12 degrees of messed up.
correction120 degrees of messed up

I always considered the SHRA to be a gold mine to actual criminals. They can get badges merely by offering lip service to the feds while every superhero's identity and family is collected in one database for hacking. Hell, the Black Box alone could just score them all and sell them to the underworld, and that's a little known F-Lister. It does very little to actually help superheroes, especially since the last NEW AVENGERS showed beat cops shooting at Tigra anyway.

And yes, Tigra's identity was likely public anyway, being that she was and is a registered police officer (who should be wearing a badge on her belt at this point, so the locals know).

The best part of it is attempting to mobilize superheroes into teams in every state, rather than centralizing them in NY, CA, and haphazardly across the next 50 states.

I agree that CW was a decent idea, executed very poorly. Had they gotten a writer who wasn't as simplistic and devotedly anti-American as Millar and had they focused on telling a cohesive story, not fulfulling a checklist of shockers (Spidey Unmasks! Thor returns as a clone!), the ending might not have seemed like such an abysmal cop-out.

Still, it was superior to HOM. Thank Bendis for lowering the bar for all 21st century Marvel events.

Still the Hood is ultimately a punk, I'm surprised someone isn't trying to corrupt the system from within.

The Mad Thinker should be a major player nin the post SHRA world. He can hack into a government database, easily, Reed had him double check his futurist formulas (want to bet Thinker fudged the numbers a bit) and could easily start influcing the government itself by replacing government officals with androids.

Ronin? About 6 people know he's Clint

What counts as a secret ID? Because I doubt the general public knows that Jessica Drew is Spider-Woman. Other then that, no major superhero comes to mind. I guess Logan has a secret ID in that no one really knows anything about him.

A lot of the reads have been good. Some of them have been stinkers.

Heroes for Hire is anything to write home about. Thunderbolts isn't that great, either. Those are the ones that stick out in my mind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"