The Hype TV Club does Bates Motel in April.

E-Man

Cooler than your daddy.
Reaction score
E9LOegF.jpg

Bates Motel

Any Hype members are welcome to join us in our viewing of these shows.
The Discussion/FAQ Thread: http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=491461

The only rules are
Only shows on the list will be selected
Only the first season is required for the monthly viewing. If a show has multiple seasons
Each show on the generator has a minimum of 10 episodes per season, if not, we will watch S1&2
ALL spoilers must be tagged as such, as none of us have seen these shows before aka don't be a jerk
Any posts not following the spoiler rule as subject to Deletion

What is Bates Motel?
After the death of her husband, Norma Bates buys a motel in the picturesque coastal town of White Pine Bay, giving herself and teenage son Norman a chance to begin anew. Shy Norman is reluctant at first, but with the help of his mother -- with whom he shares an intensely close relationship -- the boy begins to open up to others and make new friends. Some locals, however, aren't as friendly and welcoming to the Bates, who discover that because White Pine Bay isn't as peaceful as it appears, they are forced to do whatever it takes to survive. The drama series, from executive producers Carlton Cuse ("Lost") and Kerry Ehrin ("Friday Night Lights") and inspired by the seminal 1960 horror film "Psycho," explores the formative years of Norman Bates and how his complicated bond with his mother forged a serial killer.

I just watched the first episode, after first having watched Hitchcock's Psycho (which I had never seen before, except for the infamous shower scene :eek:) in preparation for the show.

I really liked it! Very suspenseful first episode, I think it's interesting that they've decided to set it in modern times, instead of the 1950s. I really think the actor who plays Bates comes close to capturing the mannerisms of Anthony Perkins' portrayal of the character in the original movie, even though Bates is obviously a lot younger here and hasn't yet been through all the experiences that turn him into the man he'll be in Psycho. I'm not entirely sold on the dialogue, but the episode was very adequate as a thriller.

Also, what is going on in that final teaser with the chained girl and the syringes? Totally spooky!

I just watched the first two episodes, and I'm interested to see what happens. Good thing there aren't that many episodes each season. That will hopefully keep it from dragging like some shows.

Yea, getting through the first episode, Im looking forward to more, gonna try and get some more in tomorrow.

God damn this is a good ass show.

I just saw the first episode of season 2, and GOD DAMN! This ***** is crazy.

i just finished the first 3 episodes.

i'll just preface by saying i had trepidations about the show early on cuz i didn't think it'd interest me. i've never seen all of Psycho. just the "key" parts. Like Shin said above, i was kinda surprised that the show is modern. i kinda figured it'd be older times cuz the movie was black and white and a few decades old.

ill go ahead and spoiler my whole thing since it's so early in the thread. remember, this is a summation of my watching the first 3 eps
i don't like Norma, but man, she plays her pretty darn good. Norman is apparently a ladies man lol, at least the first day of school. playa playa. i can't even remember what his brother's name is lol. but man, that family has issues.
seems like Norman has a temper and blacks out. he doesn't remember going after his bro with the meat tenderizer, he passes out in class. it kinda makes me wonder if he killed his dad, or his mother did it.
the weed farm is kinda peculiar, and this whole "eye for an eye" thing in the town.
i'd seen the scene with Norman and Emma running through the woods once while channel surfing, didn't know what it was. and man, when Emma came over to study, Norman's mom was so rude and her questions were crazy. who asks someone you just met how long you're supposed to live. i guess momma is so possessive she realizes she won't have to worry about emma long. she's extremely manipulative too. that whole spiel when he asks to do track, man, over the top lol.
that dude raped his mom, she killed him, then spent the night pulling up carpet. is she so detached that she just shut all that down and what? she had no kind of break or reaction to any of it. i mean, i know shutting down to focus on what needs to be done (like hiding a body), but still? norma's crazy :crazy:
this subplot with the chinese women really was hard for me to watch. at first while they were hiding and dumping the man's body, it was unnerving for me cuz of stuff i'm dealing with in personal life.
a young girl i know went missing over a month ago, and they found her body yesterday in an abandoned house 40 miles from us.
i had to pause the show for a bit cuz they were hiding his body, never to be found, etc and even though he was this horrible person, i couldn't separate the parallel of people looking for him (he did have friends after all) and no one knowing what happened to him and looking for him etc. combined this with the missing chinese woman and no one knowing what happened to her, and emma's compulsion to find her, really made it a bit much for me emotionally. like i said, it played too close to my personal life.
in no way is it a bad show, i'm pretty intrigued so far, and i will continue to watch it, but i need some time away from it

Norma is one that you'll come to like and hate at different times, CC. I've had so many moments where I loved her because she makes a good point, but then she does something insane. Norman is the same way. I root for the guy at times, but then I'm just hoping that he gets knocked silly. I know he's not going to die since the Psycho series happens, but I'm hoping that he takes a few ass whuppins when necessary. Dillon is also someone I go back and forth on. The Bates family is just likable at times and hatable at others. They're all messed up.

i haven't liked Norma at all yet :huh:

but side note, i think i remember the cop that likes Norma from a skateboarding movie

Norma is one that you'll come to like and hate at different times, CC. I've had so many moments where I loved her because she makes a good point, but then she does something insane. Norman is the same way. I root for the guy at times, but then I'm just hoping that he gets knocked silly. I know he's not going to die since the Psycho series happens, but I'm hoping that he takes a few ass whuppins when necessary. Dillon is also someone I go back and forth on. The Bates family is just likable at times and hatable at others. They're all messed up.

They are. Sometimes ya just wanna smack the stupid out of all of them. I'm a couple episodes into season 2 now. Loved the first season. It had me wanting more all the time.

Well this answers that question. Also don't watch after the eyeliner part because it spoils something that happens at the end of season 2. Not a big spoiler, but it is something that you wonder if they'd ever do it.

[YT]39ZsZdP-p_w[/YT]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"