The Hype TV Club watches Bloodline for March 2016

flickchick85

Admin of Might
Staff member
Reaction score

bloodline.jpg_zpsnxfds8zg.png

BLOODLINE

Any Hype members are welcome to join us in our viewing of these shows.
The Discussion Thread: http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=491461

The only rules are

• Only shows on the list will be selected
  • Only the first season is required for the monthly viewing. If a show has multiple seasons it's up to you if want to continue
  • Each show on the generator has a minimum of 10 episodes per season, if not, we will watch S1&2
  • ALL spoilers must be tagged as such, as none of us have seen these shows before aka don't be a jerk
  • Any posts not following the spoiler rule as subject to Deletion

In this thread we will be talking about our viewing experiences with the show. You all are welcome to join, so we'll talk about what we like and/or dislike about the show we're watching.

So let's have us some Bloodline!

What is Bloodline?
When the black sheep son of a respected family threatens to expose dark secrets from their past, sibling loyalties are put to the test...

Subscribed. I know nothing about this show, and that synopsis is so vague that it doesn't give much info. Come March 1st I'll give it a shot.

Yeah every version of the synopsis I've found for this show has been super vague, lol. I know nothing except the cast and that it's supposed to be a bit of a slow burn that pays off big-time towards the end. Thankfully it's only one 13-ep season so I don't think I'll have trouble powering through even if it doesn't grab me right away.

Last edited:
Watched the first episode.
[YT]Va5_rn3vG3A[/YT]

Three episodes in and now I see that this might be the show that tests my patience on the TV Club thing. I feel as though they are dragging the story towards no kind of good payoff. It already feels like they could have told everything in the first three episodes in one episode, but they are dragging it out because the directing is nice, and all they have is to string you along on a slow burn. This is like True Detective season one without the good characters and compelling mystery.

Man if you are hating it.... then this probably means i'll somehow enjoy it. lol

I had the same problem with the earlier episodes, however keep watching it by episode 5/6 it really starts getting good

I was thinking about starting it tonight/tomorrow but...

Bloodline or House of Cards....

giphy.gif

I hated last season of HoC so I can't say I'm too hyped for that one...but I'll still probably watch a few eps of that before I get to this, lol.

Was only planning to watch the 1st episode tonight but ended up watching 4. What can I say, I'm pleasantly surprised, as I'm finding it sufficiently engrossing to want to see what happens next. I had COMPLETELY forgotten this was from the creators of Damages 'til their names showed up in the credits. I loved that show, and while it was nice to see them use the same flash-forward technique they used on that, I do have to say I'm finding it less effective here. Still, E-Man's comments had me preparing for an absolute chore to watch, and so far that hasn't been the case for me at all. I wouldn't say I'm hooked or anything, but I'm definitely intrigued enough to want to know where it's all going.

Last edited:
Was only planning to watch the 1st episode tonight but ended up watching 4. What can I say, I'm pleasantly surprised, as I'm finding it sufficiently engrossing to want to see what happens next I had COMPLETELY forgotten this was from the creators of Damages 'til their names showed up in the credits. I loved that show, and while it was nice to see them use the same flash-forward technique they used on that, I do have to say I'm finding it less effective here. Still, E-Man's comments had me preparing for an absolute chore to watch, and so far that hasn't been the case for me at all. I wouldn't say I'm hooked or anything, but I'm definitely intrigued enough to want to know where it's all going.

giphy.gif

If this show had the cheese that Sliders had it would actually be interesting. I don't find any of the revelations to be interesting so far, and I'm seven episodes in right now. I feel like it's Stockholm Syndrome where just because something interesting happens people are like ooooooohhhhh while I'm just not too impressed with their performance.

Yea, I'm like 5 episodes in and feeling generally meh about the show.

Finished this last night. It definitely upped the intensity there in those last few episodes.

Danny turned out to be a much scarier human being than I'd initially pegged him for. Borderline sociopath perhaps? I'm not sure. But much more than the mere trouble-making black sheep they painted him as in the 1st half.

So it turns out everyone in that family is kind of terrible in their own way. That's not really surprising, as they never really seemed all that great at the outset. But for some reason, the one I hated the most was the mom. She just turned a blind eye to so much then acted all appalled whenever she was forced to face it.

All in all, while I was definitely into it by the end, I do feel like it took way, WAY too long to get going. Like, I don't feel like I was truly hooked 'til episode 10 or 11, and they could've shaved off a lot of fat in those early eps to get to the good stuff sooner. Part of me wonders whether the writers were forced by Netflix to have a 13-episode order (as most Netflix originals that don't come from the BBC seem to have have), when their initial idea really only supported like a 6-8 episode season. The acting was fantastic though, especially Ben Mendelsohn. He definitely earned that Emmy nod. So overall, I liked it well enough, but the creators' previous show Damages was much, MUCH more involving, imo.

enjoyed Bloodline and Damages. The creators of Bloodline envisioned the possibility of six seasons and not just 6 -8 episodes. I like a slow burn show which attempts to build character. Probably a hard sell for some . Mendelsohn's performance is one of the best ever for the small screen, though take him out and it would be inferior to Damages. Hoping Mendelsohn gets a chance to show his ability in Rogue One.

Last edited:
I binged the show throughout the course of a week; about a couple episodes a day. At times it sort of reminded of the movie "What About Bob" but completely different as a realistic drama as opposed to a nonsensical comedy.

I wasn't sure if I liked the show but it kept me very interested and watching throughout. While not necessary plot centric or story driven I felt it was a resonating family drama and character driven show that was well edited and acted.

One thing I didn't like was the final instance (last few seconds of final episode) that just was initially sort of a surprise but then felt like a cheap segue into a next season. In a way, I find it hard to see how the creators could've initially envisioned this show for more than 1 season. It just feels like everything is finalized at the end with no real need to explore any more threads without risking taking something away from the first season.

With that being said, I do look forward to the 2nd season. I just hope the final shocker at the end of season 1 turns out to be some sort of prank to not try and recycle over the same aspects of season 1 in a cheap way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"