The Ice Dragon | Warner Bros.

Blitzkrieg

Avenger
Reaction score
‘Game Of Thrones’ Maestro George R.R. Martin Gets In Business With Warner Bros. Animation: Studio To Adapt Author’s ‘The Ice Dragon’

George R.R. Martin is making his first foray into family films with Warner Animation Group adapting his 1980 children’s book The Ice Dragon for the big screen. Martin wrote the book in 1980 prior to Game of Thrones. The book is not set in the realm of Martin’s Seven Kingdoms, but rather in a world of medieval fantasy where warring kingdoms harness the power of fire breathing dragons. It’s the story of a young girl named Adara, who secretly befriends a rare Ice Dragon. When the invading army of dragons invade her city, only the Ice Dragon can help her save their world from utter destruction. Martin is onboard as a producer. Vince Gerardis is serving as EP. Martin is repped by WME and manager Vince Gerardis. Warner Bros. Animation Group chiefs Allison Abbate and Chris Leahy are overseeing the project for the studio.

Last edited:
So given that it's written by Martin and he's involved in the production, is it safe to think that's it's not going to be a standard jokey, cartoony animated film? Not that there's something wrong with that, but a more serious animated dragon film sounds too cool to not want it to be that.

Will the twist be that the ice dragon is actually really hungry and at the end, just eats the young girl it's befriended? GRRM likes his bittersweet stuff. :p

So given that it's written by Martin and he's involved in the production, is it safe to think that's it's not going to be a standard jokey, cartoony animated film? Not that there's something wrong with that, but a more serious animated dragon film sounds too cool to not want it to be that.

The Ice Dragon is a children's novella. The main character is 7 years old and the book is rated for ages 12 and up. It's not adult material like George's other stuff.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...BMAp6BAgHEAE&usg=AOvVaw0bUC85LSOKpBukry2rGLhL

Last edited:
Well, I don't mean like Game of Thrones. I mean more like, I don't know, The Neverending Story, Willow...even if it was more along the lines of something like Tangled or Frozen that has a mix of drama and comedy and a fairly realistic art style. I don't want Despicable Me with dragons.

More projects by Martin to keep him busy instead of finishing his magnum opus lol.

Well, I don't mean like Game of Thrones. I mean more like, I don't know, The Neverending Story, Willow...even if it was more along the lines of something like Tangled or Frozen that has a mix of drama and comedy and a fairly realistic art style. I don't want Despicable Me with dragons.

I expect it will be something in the vein of How To Train Your Dragon. A PG kids film that people of all ages can enjoy. Not potty humor and bottom barrel Sony animation type ****.

Last edited:
More projects by Martin to keep him busy instead of finishing his magnum opus lol.

winds-of-winter-here-yet-winds-of-winter-here-yet-4994645.png

Should we expect lots of death in this movie? :o

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"