The Imitation Game (Alan Turing Biopic)

can they have an ending like that? are they serious?
http://badassdigest.com/2014/11/17/...eview-reassuring-the-normals-with-oscar-bait/

njXYgzZ.gif

This looks great can see a nomination for Best Picture and Actor at the Oscars.

A Turing film that glosses over what ended up happening to him is an insult.

And I was considering seeing this...

I see no problem with a film that explores a very specific point in a person's life. Now if this is about Turing's life and then just cliff notes the end, that is a different story.

I have heard a lot of good things about the film, plus Keira Knightley and Benedict Cumberbatch are in it and getting award buzz. I will definitely be seeing it.

By the sound of a few reviews I've read/heard this isn't about Turing's life but more just his work with Enigma. So it makes sense.
If that is true, it makes perfect sense. It also makes the complaints seem unfair. They aren't judging the film, but what they expected a film feature Turing to be about.

Exactly. If you had a film about Enigma with a few mentions as to Turing's life and then suddenly the last 20 minutes is all about his life after Enigma it wouldn't feel right.

THE IMITATION GAME tells the incredible true story of Alan Turing. And it is truly incredible. Leader of the team that cracked the Germans' impenetrable Enigma Code during World War 2, making possible countless Allied operations that would otherwise have been highly unlikely to succeed and ultimately emerging as a key figure in the war coming to an end with our side victorious, there's an argument to be made that he's perhaps the greatest single hero of the whole of World War 2. And yet not only are his monumental achievements largely unrecognised by history, but until his royal pardon last year, some 60 years after he died in shame and disgrace, he was a criminal, thanks to his homosexuality. It's a heartbreaking tale, and this film immediately gets points for telling his story. It also helps a lot that it is told incredibly well.

Director Morten Tyldum effectively straddles the line between crafting a taut thriller and giving us a worthwhile biopic. While perhaps we skirt on the details in places on the latter point, the film succeeds very well on the former. And yet the tension rarely feels contrived or artificial, or reliant on shifting to war-zones and fights to the death. Much of the atmosphere is generated in one stuffy office, or through the shunk-shunk-shunk of Turing's Universal Machine whirring its gears. There are strong performances all round, with Keira Knightley and Matthew Goode on fine form, Charles Dance enjoyably nasty and Mark Strong bringing a subtle brand of charming menace to proceedings. But the film's biggest ace has to be in the casting of Alan Turing himself.

When you imagine Benedict Cumberbatch playing a flawed, anti-social genius, those of us who have watched SHERLOCK likely concluded that we had a pretty good idea of how he'd play the part. He's put such an indelible stamp on Sherlock Holmes that I think we now read that into his other roles, take a look at Turing on the surface and think, "Oh, that's not much of a stretch." But in truth, past the surface details of glacial demeanor and difficulty in dealing with people, this is a vastly different performance. Cumberbatch presents Turing as a man who in many ways was as much an enigma as the code he was striving to crack, but a man twisted up by his secrets, palpably projecting pain. At the points when his heartbreak creeps up to the surface, it's hard not to get emotional. It's a powerhouse performance, and though the apparently showier roles from the likes of Michael Keaton and Eddie Redmayne seem to be getting more Best Actor buzz at the moment, for me at least, it's Cumberbatch who has just laid down the gauntlet in that particular Oscar chase, and his performance is the one to beat.

Glad you liked it Keyser, and really glad that you enjoyed the performances of Knightley and Cumberbatch. I can't wait for the film to expand so I can see it. :)

I'm seeing this on Friday. I've heard good things about it already.

Well I saw the Imitation Game today and it was an excellent film. The performance by Benedict Cumberbatch was great. I always though Keira Knightly as a "Meh" kind of actress but she gave a good performance as well. Probably her best well in terms of me watching films with her in it.

I'm expecting a Best Picture nomination at the Oscars and Benedict has a great chance of picking up an Best Actor nomination as well. That category is loaded again though.

Makes my top 10 of the year what more could it ask for?:funny:

9/10

There are at least two films this year that are almost flawless, in terms of writing, direction, acting performance and creative execution.

One is Birdman. This is the other one.

There are at least two films this year that are almost flawless, in terms of writing, direction, acting performance and creative execution.

One is Birdman. This is the other one.
:mag :awesome:

This needs to start playing over here. I need to see this now!!! :atp:

Wow. That does not sound great.

It sounds like one of those films where the audience is congratulated for seeing gay relationships but assured that they are inferior to straight relationships.

Maybe I'll give this a pass. I'm sure the true Turing biopic will come eventually

A Turing film that glosses over what ended up happening to him is an insult.

And I was considering seeing this...

I wouldn't take that review too seriously. It came across as unnecessarily bitter; I believe the film struck a good balance between portraying the enormity of Turing's accomplishment, and the mounting injustice that defined his final years. You would do yourself a disservice if you choose not to see this film based on that review.

Saw it twice, and it is wonderful. Definitely in my top three for the year. Wasn't expecting the framing device, but it worked quite well imo. The movie is so well put together, it simply flies by.

The performances are great. Benedict and Keira both deserving of their nominations, and I really think Benedict has a chance at the Oscar. If he gets it, it will be well deserved. I always hope Keira wins, so that isn't news. Strong being Bond was as awesome as you'd think.

I honestly don't get the problems with the ending or how the present the inhuman way Turing was treated by the British government. They showed it, how horrible it was, without stripping Turing of his dignity or missing how important of a man he was not only his country, but the world.

I know what happened to the man, but I dont need the film to linger own it. His hard work to break the code is far far more important in the film, and that is his legacy, and what the film is trying to tell people about. I dont need to see a drawn out portion of him being chemically castrated and dehumanized and treated like ****, and Im willing to bet that stuff isn't what the man would want us to focus on. As long as the crime committed by the British government is mentioned in some way and it doesnt try to excuse their actions then I'm ok with it.

Last edited:
I know what happened to the man, but I dont need the film to linger own it. His hard work to break the code is far far more important in the film, and that is his legacy, and what the film is trying to tell people about. I dont need to see a drawn out portion of him being chemically castrated and dehumanized and treated like ****, and Im willing to bet that stuff isn't what the man would want us to focus on. As long as the crime committed by the British government is mentioned in some way and it doesnt try to excuse their actions then I'm ok with it.
Oh they show it, and it is heartbreaking. But they don't linger and they never let you forgot the quality of the man.

If they focussed too much on the unjust "gross indecency" law that was used to persecute Turing and not on his achievements, then you might as well not have made a film about Turing at all. Alot of men suffered under that law, maybe some of them even suffered more. Why not a film about any of them then? The kind of film the bitter loser who wrote that review would have wanted to see could well have been made about the 19-year-old rentboy that got Turing into trouble, not about that man who helped win World War Two with his brain.

Just got back from watching this, very good film indeed.

I studied computer science in college so I was pretty familiar with what Turing contributed to the field (especially in AI since I took a class on that), and it's why I wanted to watch the film too, more than any other factor including the awards buzz. In that respect I was somewhat disappointed that the film glossed over his contributions to computer science specifically (reducing it to mere footnotes at the end). But it's ok I guess, that intellectual stuff probably wouldn't have translated to the screen well. :p I was at least glad that the "Turing test" was sort of mentioned in passing.

As far as the film itself goes, it was well-made overall but I wouldn't call it great, it just felt a bit too formulaic as far as period movies go, and it focused a little too much on Turing versus the other characters who got virtually no development. A solid 8/10 for me though. The acting performances were the clear standout though, including from Keira Knightley and of course Cumberbatch.

I've also seen The Theory of Everything and Eddie Redmayne was really good in that too, definitely showier compared to Cumberbatch's more-reserved Turing. Hard to say if either actor was better than the other, but I have to say I kinda liked Redmayne's performance as Hawking more, as I felt more pathos from his Hawking than I did from Cumberbatch's Turing (not sure why). Additionally, that film also had an exceptionally strong performance from Felicity Jones as Jane Wilde (Hawking's first wife), while The Imitation Game didn't have a comparable one from Keira Knightley, as good as she was.

Last edited:
I thought this film was really good. The film was very gripping.

Mark Strong sure can play a shady spy well.

The way people talked about this film glossing over his homosexuality seemed off the mark when I saw the film.

They didn't shy away from Turing's sexuality at all. Short of a sex scene with a rent boy I'm not sure what more people expected.

Without going into spoilers his sexuality is presented as a big part of who he is but it isn't all that defines him.

The entire situation behind both Christophers broke my heart. :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"