The Killing Joke explanations

Discussion in 'Batman World' started by OrgasmicPotatoe, Aug 13, 2012.

1. OrgasmicPotatoe Registered

I read The Killing Joke the other night and there is a part I didn't fully understand.

In Joker's joke at the end, the answer the second man gives to the first man.

For me this joke is a comparison between Batman and Joker to emphasize the fact that they are not as different as they seem to be. Because both men want to jump over the gap, but only one does it. The last part is still a mystery to me.

#1 OrgasmicPotatoe, Aug 13, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2012
  2. Sundancer Cynicist

I never thought the joke itself was as important as Batman's reaction to it. If you want to look at the joke more closely, the last part certainly seems to deal with lack of trust.

If I remember correctly, the joke comes right after Batman offers to rehab the Joker who says it's too late. The analogy could be that two guys "not quite right in the head" ie. the inmates and the Joker/Batman are working together for a cause, but one doesn't trust the other, keeping them from making progress....or one is just too crazy, leading to the same outcome.

#2 Sundancer, Aug 28, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2012
  3. TinkTonks loves her some Tom Hardy!

Are you saying you don't get the meaning of the joke as a parallel to story, or that you didn't get the joke itself?

To explain the part you bolded within the context of the joke itself: The first guy who jumped across has a flashlight. He offers to turn on the light, so the second guy can walk on the beam (the beam of light coming from the flashlight, not an actual physical beam). The second guy didn't protest the part of walking on the light beam, he was just worried they guy would turn off the flashlight, which would kill the beam he was walking on and fall.