The Last Airbender - Part 1

Source: Variety January 9, 2007

According to Variety, M. Night Shyamalan and Paramount are planning their own "Avatar" project, based on the popular Nickelodoen kids TV series.

The filmmaker has signed a three-picture deal with Paramount's MTV Films and Nick Movies to adapt the animated children's series "Avatar: The Last Airbender" for the big screen. He will write, direct and produce the potential kids franchise. The film version will be live-action.

Nick TV's "Avatar" follows the adventures of the successor to a long line of Avatars who must put aside his irresponsible ways and stop the Fire Nation from enslaving the Water, Earth and Air nations. The show was created by Michael DiMartino and Bryan Konietzko.

The trade adds that Paramount confirmed the deal with Shyamalan just hours after 20th Century Fox announced it has given the green light to James Cameron's Avatar.

Although they may have the same name, the two projects have nothing to do with each other in terms of storylines. Cameron's is a sci-fi action-adventure that he's been working on for 11 years.

Paramount said it has registered the name of its project with the Motion Picture Association of America. A Fox rep said, "We own the movie title 'Avatar.' There won't be another film called 'Avatar' coming from anyplace."

I liked the movie, granted I never watched the cartoon but I thought it was a decent movie, my only complaint would be that I think it could have used a good 15 to 20 minutes for more personal moments. In the end I'm not sure if the fans could ever have been happy with a 20 episode season edited down to a 2 hour movie no matter who directed it, with each episode so interconnected I'm not sure a studio should have even bothered it would be like turning a season of Veronica Mars or Lost into a 2 hour movie neither of which would have felt as satisfying as the actual season.

It's sad that one of the best cartoons on television was adapted into one of the worst movies ever. I hope that in 10 years or so, Paramount allows a better filmmaker the chance to make another adaptation.

lmao at the razzies they said noah ringer's role could of been done by any kid on the street
icon_lol.gif

this just confirmed it this will not get a sequel

what studio would green light a sequel to a film that did'nt make a crap load of money was smashed by every critic and most fans and took home 9 razzies LOL

Lol! Like an "extended edition" will make the film better. It needs to be shot with a different director and a completely different script. I was fine with the actors because they did the best they could with the material that they were given. They have the gall to compare the situation to Kingdom of Heaven (which was a director's cut).

What is still fueling this hate filled thread? The movie has been out for 9 months. It is over. Why continue?

EPIC FAIL THis movie was Watch the show this movie was based on it's so much better.

EPIC FAIL THis movie was Watch the show this movie was based on it's so much better.

A movie was never going to be as good as the show no matter who directed, it would/will always feel like an edited version of the show which is why they should never have even bothered, there was just no need for it.

Only good thing that came out of this fiasco is that other movie studios will be less willing to give Nights a lucrative franchise to play around with.

only good thing for me is the movie made me go watch the show before film came out

i loved the show hated the movie

so thank you paramount

A movie was never going to be as good as the show no matter who directed, it would/will always feel like an edited version of the show which is why they should never have even bothered, there was just no need for it.
^Of course not. We know that the cartoon is great and any adaptation would be missing some of that greatness. But so what? The movie could have been at least as good as Scott Pilgrim, or Watchmen, or a shade below Lord of the Rings, or maybe Star Trek, or a good Harry Potter movie, if it was just in the hands of somebody who had even the slightest bit of vision and competence. All those movies had to adapt a lot of complex stories and characters into a short amount of time and were still good. But it wasn't just disappointing, it was spectacularly bad.

one thing ill say...the scene where aangs cousin ung lifts the tidal wave at the end is awesome and the music is freakin amazing.

thats about it...worst movie since batman and robin

Still cant believe some people want a Last airbender 2 ? like seriously ? it aint gonna happen.

^I know, right? Source material notwithstanding, why would anybody want a sequel to a movie this bad?

I'm too much of a fan of the show to honestly say that I wouldn't want to see a sequel to this.

What's probably more likely is that in about 4-5 years, a brand new director and writing team will go out of their way to "reboot" the movie franchise entirely.

Man did he drop the ball on this one. Can you imagine if we had gotten a movie as epic as the cartoon? Could have been way up there with Star Wars.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"