The Hunger Games - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I also love Peeta as a character. He is quite unique as a male protagonist in that he is so vulnerable and not the strongest or best skilled. That's also why I can relate to him so much. I also relate to that unrequited love of falling for someone without even knowing her/him.

That's why the ending to the book and film is so sad, him realizing Katniss just played for the cameras. :(

I actually think the change in the film to make it more uncertain and subtle worked well. Loved the dialogue.

"I think we should forget it all"
"But I don't wanna forget..."

Peeta is, hands down, my all-time favorite character from the series. It's that vulnerability that makes him extremely relatable to a significant percentage/portion of the male demographic.

We all have our sad stories, so it's easily transferred to Peeta's character, which makes him an iconic figure in that aspect.

Katniss played him, and in turn, Peeta is angered and, in some ways, broken by the woman that he holds dearest. Katniss might have fabricated her feelings for Peeta, but it was purely just to stay alive as long as possible. She meant no harm at the end of the day. Unfortunately, Peeta didn't see it that way. His feelings for Katniss are legitimate.

Peeta is probably one of the more relatable male characters ever, as he's not particularly confident in his abilities, he's not like a sullen brooder, and he's pretty genre savvy regarding stuff. Just call him Peeta Parka.

Peeta is probably one of the more relatable male characters ever, as he's not particularly confident in his abilities, he's not like a sullen brooder, and he's pretty genre savvy regarding stuff. Just call him Peeta Parka.

:hehe:

That reminds me:

Had no issues with the shaky cam during the games, but I was getting a little dizzy with it during the opening scenes of the movie.

The Hunger Games
-The man with the wiggly beard had a weird beard; I wanted to shave it. .

Hah, I was thinking the same thing.

I gave Hunger Games 7/10

I thought it was decent enough. They did a good job with the casting. I'm interested to see where it goes with the changed ending. Also I'd much rather sit through these than Twilight , so if this becomes the next big thing I consider it a blessing. Katniss is a strong female character. I liked watching her figuring out ways to survive and devising a way to burn the supplies. I would like to see more of the strategy aspect.
The movie didn't feel too long for me. the only thing I really didn't like was the frantic camera shaking during some of the action scenes.

That whole thing with the stockpile and what not really made it feel like a video game thing, as I'm sure a bunch of RPG types felt a familiar twinge.

I loved the movie adaptation a lot. Having seen it presented in third person perspective I am curious to what it might have been like if we stayed entirely from her 1st person view. I kinda didn't like how they left out some stuff like the bodies being taken away by the ship and the end fight with cato to the berries suicide was extremely fast. I would have easily sacrificed screen time spent in the training sequence if it meant more in line scenes with rue that allowed the us to explore her and Katniss relationship. I didn't like how district 11 revolted in this as opposed to saving it for the next movie and how they used that as a way for the game makers to role the "star crossed lovers must live". another small complaint is how they cut down on cinna and made haymitch the one who likes and cares for katniss instead of being an whole towards her. Very good adaptation but I seen plenty of room for improvement in the next film.

to be honest you would'nt be able to do the games perfect unless it was a tv series where we can spend time knowing the characters and their relationships no to mention katniss healing her wounds would'nt seem so cheap if it was a prolonged tv series with tons of episodes where we spend tons of time with her in the arena

cant do that in a 2 hour movie

Was pretty good. Really hated how they could computer spawn hell hounds that could actually kill people.

Very good adaptation but I seen plenty of room for improvement in the next film.

Simon Beaufoy (Slumdog Millionaire) is adapting Catching Fire and he submitted a draft to Suzanne Collins to critique a month ago. Gary Ross is returning to direct, and I hope he lays off on the handheld camerawork. I hear they're shooting the second movie in Hawaii, which is a damn shame considering how many notable NC locations were used as the Capital and District 12.

I don't think Steven Soderbergh doing second-unit directing (he shared the second-unit work with three other people) had little impact on the film's camerawork. Mainly second unit just does establishing shots, green screen shots and aerial scenery for the editors to cut into the film. All the dialogue and dramatic scenes were directed by Ross.

Was pretty good. Really hated how they could computer spawn hell hounds that could actually kill people.

Yea I was wondering about that too. I never read the books and the movie doesn't explain it. So the people at the Captiol can spawn things on a computer and they can kill people in real life? That was a little weird to me.

I don't think they meant to imply that they computer spawned the mutts, I think it was just showing them what they had completed. The dogs were genetically altered mutations and I always got the impression that they had been created during the course of the games.

I really hope he doesn't lay off the handheld camera work, he just needs to tone it down a bit. I thought it worked great at certain parts and to not use the same style somewhat for the sequels would just feel weird. Like I've said before I loved the cinematography as a whole in this film.

yeah the mutts are not computer generated in the movie's universe.

I really hope he doesn't lay off the handheld camera work, he just needs to tone it down a bit. I thought it worked great at certain parts and to not use the same style somewhat for the sequels would just feel weird. Like I've said before I loved the cinematography as a whole in this film.

I'd be okay if he just controlled it a bit more. There were times when it was really bugging my eyes.

I don't think they meant to imply that they computer spawned the mutts, I think it was just showing them what they had completed. The dogs were genetically altered mutations and I always got the impression that they had been created during the course of the games.

No, they placed the dogs where ever they wanted on the board and they spawned like 5 in a row right behind where they were running. To me it looked like they just popped out of the ground. It even showed them bursting through the leaves and ground. To me they were programs. They even just sort of walked away at the end. That bugged me. It made it seem like they were all part of a computer simulation.

Simon Beaufoy (Slumdog Millionaire) is adapting Catching Fire and he submitted a draft to Suzanne Collins to critique a month ago. Gary Ross is returning to direct, and I hope he lays off on the handheld camerawork. I hear they're shooting the second movie in Hawaii, which is a damn shame considering how many notable NC locations were used as the Capital and District 12.

I don't think Steven Soderbergh doing second-unit directing (he shared the second-unit work with three other people) had little impact on the film's camerawork. Mainly second unit just does establishing shots, green screen shots and aerial scenery for the editors to cut into the film. All the dialogue and dramatic scenes were directed by Ross.

Thats very interesting. I didn't mind the shaky during the games because i like the feeling of we the audience are right there with her during all this but when the other actors like harrelson and bently are just talking about sponsors it doesn't work. I like steady traditional shots on the normal dialogue and shaky on fights and running.

No, they placed the dogs where ever they wanted on the board and they spawned like 5 in a row right behind where they were running. To me it looked like they just popped out of the ground. It even showed them bursting through the leaves and ground. To me they were programs. They even just sort of walked away at the end. That bugged me. It made it seem like they were all part of a computer simulation.

I didn't like that part ether and they just looked like oversized rot wielers or the ones hulk in fought in 2003.

It was alright kind of like Survivor only with deaths galore, but it doesn't make me want to read the novels that's for sure, I mean I'm 35 and the books are geared for teens.

The ending was probably set up for sequels but I would like to know what happened to Wes Bentley's character.

It was alright kind of like Survivor only with deaths galore, but it doesn't make me want to read the novels that's for sure, I mean I'm 35 and the books are geared for teens.

The ending was probably set up for sequels but I would like to know what happened to Wes Bentley's character.

In the books, he's publicly strangled, and I don't mean hanged. And honestly, his death in the film is more brutal.

I really don't buy Jennifer Lawrence and Hutchinson [blackout]as a love pair[/blackout]?? I mean, i haven't read the books............ but why didn't Liam Hemsworth play Peeta?

He should tone it down a lot. It works fine during the Games sequences, but handheld during quiet, dramatic scenes? The camera should just stay still and focus on the actors' work, not about the wobbly camera movement. But other than the handheld stuff, Tom Stern's work was definitely beautiful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"