The legality of file sharing

screams

Civilian
Reaction score
Can someone please clear up for me what is legal and illegal in file sharing? For instance, are TV shows illegal to download? I know movies are, and I know that a lot of music is, whatever is not covered by the RIAA, but I don't really get any of those. Also, are digital comic books legal?

So yeah, basically all I want to know is the legality of downloading digital comics and TV shows.

A good rule of thumb: If it's copyrighted and free, it's generally illegal.

Evolutionist kinda has it
File Sharing unto itself is leagal

Sharing FREE stuff is legal
Sharing COPYRIGHTED stuff is illegal

So, is downloading that stuff legal? And, are TV shows copyrighted? You can pretty much legally record them with DVR or watch them on their websites anyways, so does that mean it's legal to download shows after they are released?

If you are downloading a show that was illegally recorded...then its illegal
Technically the DVR's are in a gray area...

Downloading a TV show using the PirateBay as your tracker, doesnt mean legal or not-legal. Its the source of the recording that really makes the difference.

When in doubt, if its MUSIC, PROGRAMS, VIDEOS, assume its illegal

If you are downloading a show that was illegally recorded...then its illegal
Technically the DVR's are in a gray area...

Downloading a TV show using the PirateBay as your tracker, doesnt mean legal or not-legal. Its the source of the recording that really makes the difference.

When in doubt, if its MUSIC, PROGRAMS, VIDEOS, assume its illegal

Just assume all downloads are illegal unless the artist or creator explicitly states it is legal to freely download/distribute the content. Such content is out there, but it's the small minority.

You can tell whether a music file is legal or not if you use the RIAA radar.

http://www.riaaradar.com/

It lets you know which albums have legal rights over sharing and which don't.

The only reason I ask is because I download shows all the time, since I don't have DVR and I'm not able to watch some of them when they are on. I always by seasons on DVD, but I know that doesn't matter when it comes to how legal it is to have copies on your computers.

The only reason I ask is because I download shows all the time, since I don't have DVR and I'm not able to watch some of them when they are on. I always by seasons on DVD, but I know that doesn't matter when it comes to how legal it is to have copies on your computers.

That's sort of a gray area too. Having digital copies of something you actually do own for strictly personal use. The courts seem favorable to that because you actually did pay money for it and, if nothing else, you could claim you were making a backup in case the original is damaged. But they also seem favorable because why shouldn't you be able to do whatever you want with something you bought?

That's strange. I looked to see what it said for Coldplay's latest album because I don't think it was released under the RIAA and it didn't show up.

In Canada, you can legally download anything you just can't UPLOAD a lot of copyrighted materials.

In Canada, you can legally download anything you just can't UPLOAD a lot of copyrighted materials.

In Sweeden, you can do whatever the hell you want.

Assuming PirateBay wins their case or gets it dismissed.

I wish we could all live in Sweden. It's fun to look at the Pirate Bay's legal mail section.

Is it legal, or possible, to download files from a purchased DVD?

If it is, can someone please tell me how to get a DVD that plays in Windows Media Player saved to my computer? I want to get some movies on my iPod without having to spend more money on iTunes or get involved in things like limewire.

Is it legal, or possible, to download files from a purchased DVD?

If it is, can someone please tell me how to get a DVD that plays in Windows Media Player saved to my computer? I want to get some movies on my iPod without having to spend more money on iTunes or get involved in things like limewire.

It's not legal to download any files that aren't released for free distribution by the artist. Doesn't matter what the medium is (DVD, CD, mp3, ...).

As for your other problem, you can't put Media Player video files on your iPod. The only video filetype the iPod plays is mp4. Although it's a bit of a gray area, you can convert the files into mp4 using a free converter.

It's not legal to download any files that aren't released for free distribution by the artist. Doesn't matter what the medium is (DVD, CD, mp3, ...).

As for your other problem, you can't put Media Player video files on your iPod. The only video filetype the iPod plays is mp4. Although it's a bit of a gray area, you can convert the files into mp4 using a free converter.

Alright, thanks.

It also lets the RIAA capture and track your IP address.

jag

Look at it from a different computer then

Speaking of illegal downloading, is there a website where you can download songs for free, or must I download a file-sharing program, a la Limewire?

I'm trying to refrain from getting one of those programs on my new computer.

I assume everything is illegal until proven legal.

-TNC

Or, as my English teacher used to say, "It ain't illegal if you don't get caught." ;)

I don't see how anything labeled 'file sharing' can be illegal. To me, it's just like borrowing a buddies videotape or music cd or video game. Or did I miss something and that is illegal too? I imagine it won't be long before sharing of any form is outlawed.

It's not the same as letting your buddy borrow something. It's more like making a copy of something for a friend. And, technically, depending on how you read the law, that is illegal.

These same argument came up back in the late 70's/early 80's when VHS was introduced. The movie studios were afraid that everyone would copy movies and destroy the industry. They tried to get the courts to stop it.

Then they realized they could make a ton of money selling and renting videos. The complaints stopped soon after.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"