The Long Night prequel series

Discussion in 'Game of Thrones' started by blackdragon6, Jan 11, 2019.

1. Deck Rickard Morag Tong Assassin

One thing that dawned on me after watching the battle with the white walkers and the wights...you need dragonglass and Valyrian steel to kill white walkers, but wights can be killed (or at least cut apart and neutralized) by conventional weapons and then you need to burn them. So since no one other than Arya fought any White Walkers in that fight (and she used a Valyrian dagger) they mined all that dragonglass for nothing.

TheVileOne and blackdragon6 like this.
  2. ludovica Daddy Feige notice me!

Like in real war, being prepared is necessary to even have a fighting chance but not always turns out useful.
    Also, narrative misdirection.

3. Deck Rickard Morag Tong Assassin

Oh I know that but I also wonder if it’s just something they didn’t think about and dropped the ball.

blackdragon6 likes this.
  4. BrollySupersj The only verdict, is vengeance.

I actually hope the WW are represented in this series as they are in the books. When I read up on the differences, they're amazingly vast. I'd love to see the difference.

blackdragon6 likes this.
  5. blackdragon6 Registered

With Ice Spiders the size of HOUNDS!!!

Deck Rickard and Madam-Shogun like this.
  6. Deck Rickard Morag Tong Assassin

Man, I wanted to see those ice spiders. But hey, at least we got giants that can be taken out by 12 years olds.

blackdragon6 likes this.
  7. TheVileOne Registered

They clearly altered them over the course of the TV show.

8. ludovica Daddy Feige notice me!

That was a wight giant, which had a huge weakness to exploit.
    But yeah, I hope the prequel goes all out and gives us way more creatures and magic, seeing as that would not contradict anything really.

By the way, even with me loving the final season, I won't be extremely interested if it does not go in a wildly different direction thematically and tone wise.

9. BrollySupersj The only verdict, is vengeance.

Which weakness was that? Holding a victim in its hand and bringing it close to its face? Instead of just killing her and moving on like all wights have done in the past?

10. blackdragon6 Registered

And what happened to all the other wight giants. There was like three or more of them.

Deck Rickard likes this.
  11. ludovica Daddy Feige notice me!

I mean dragonglass and valyrian steel.

Maybe they were the ones who dived to get the dead dragon out of the water for the Night King?
    Still, where would those huge ass chains come from, I don't know.

12. Deck Rickard Morag Tong Assassin

“We kind of forgot about the other ice giants...”

TheVileOne and blackdragon6 like this.
  13. jolldan Registered

I would loves to see them bring The North of the Wall to life. Show us them crossing Frostfangs, I want to see Ice Dragon's in North Grove, Shadowcats and how the Land of Always Winter became that way.

CaptainWagner likes this.
  14. Deck Rickard Morag Tong Assassin

Wasn't it always that way?

15. blackdragon6 Registered

From what I gather shadow cats are just normal large cats. Like leopards or something.

16. jolldan Registered

I could easy be wrong haven’t read the books just read this “The land wasn't always a winter-covered wasteland, having been a fertile land inhabited by the Children of the Forest in ancient history which they used to perform rituals and turn a captured human into the first of the White Walkers”

But I’m not sure if this official or not.

17. Madam-Shogun Assassin

Panthers basically.

18. Madam-Shogun Assassin

If they're going just by the show, it used to be green pastures in the beginning. It became always winter with the creation of WW.

19. CaptainWagner I'm A Worrier, It's What I Do (P) (he/him)

^^^ A million times this. If they had taken the deal they were offered, they could have had a whole season for Jon's mission behind the wall. Expound on the origins. Show what they do with the kids. Take him all the way to the Lands of Always Winter. Actually give him time to interact with Uncle Benjen/Coldhands. And let the Hound fight a freakin' ice spider!

Imagine the types of locations they could have utilized... Hopefully we see stuff like this in the Prequels.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The illustrations I've seen range between being a black bobcat to a black tiger with silver stripes. Either way, pretty darn cool in my humble opinion.

20. Pennywise Registered

21. Marvolo Registered

Title seems to have leaked with the logo...and it's pretty stupid:

They should have went with "The Long Night" like George wanted.

Edit: I wonder if they abandoned the Long Night title because of the backlash to GOT Season 8's "Not So Long Night". Trying to put some distance between this show and that negativity.

#46 Marvolo, Jul 3, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2019
    MaceB likes this.
  22. BrollySupersj The only verdict, is vengeance.

From what I understand, there is no Blood Moon in the Lord of GOT, so the name is pretty stupid and makes no sense.

23. jolldan Registered

Starks & Direwolves To feature In Prequel

“The Starks will definitely be there,”
    Martin said. “Obviously the White Walkers are here — or as they’re called in my books, The Others — and that will be an aspect of it,” Martin says. “There are things like direwolves and mammoths.”

The Starks descended from the First Men of Westeros, so it makes sense that they would appear in such an early time period. That said, not every major house from Game of Thrones will have a role in the prequel. For example, the Lannisters will be absent from the series, at least at the beginning.

“The Lannisters aren’t there yet, but Castlery Rock is certainly there; it’s like the Rock of Gibraltar,” he added. “It’s actually occupied by the Casterlys — for whom it’s still named after in the time of Game of Thrones.”

24. CaptainWagner I'm A Worrier, It's What I Do (P) (he/him)

Upon reading this news, D&D sit deep in thought before asking.... "What's a Direwolf?"

Also, the biggest news here is we get to see House Castlery. Great to see we'll be getting investment in new Houses and hopefully spend time in different kingdoms.

25. Marvolo Registered

My favorite bit of that interview:

"As for the title, Martin has been outspoken about wanting to call the series “The Long Night.” That title was what “Game of Thrones” named its much-discussed Battle of Winterfell episode in the final season, which means Martin might have to come up with a different title. “I heard a suggestion that it could be called ‘The Longest Night,’ which is a variant I wouldn’t mind,” he said. “That would be pretty good.”

:funny: That's about as awful as calling it "The Longer Night".