The Long Night prequel series

One thing that dawned on me after watching the battle with the white walkers and the wights...you need dragonglass and Valyrian steel to kill white walkers, but wights can be killed (or at least cut apart and neutralized) by conventional weapons and then you need to burn them. So since no one other than Arya fought any White Walkers in that fight (and she used a Valyrian dagger) they mined all that dragonglass for nothing.

Like in real war, being prepared is necessary to even have a fighting chance but not always turns out useful.
Also, narrative misdirection.

Oh I know that but I also wonder if it’s just something they didn’t think about and dropped the ball.

I actually hope the WW are represented in this series as they are in the books. When I read up on the differences, they're amazingly vast. I'd love to see the difference.

Man, I wanted to see those ice spiders. But hey, at least we got giants that can be taken out by 12 years olds.

I think there was only really one shot where the Night King, or any other White Walker, had something interesting to his character in the show, and that was when he smiled after Drogon's fire couldn't hurt him. That was the only time he showed a bit of character and wasn't just this emotionless thing that walked around.

That's what I miss from the books, as already in the prologue the Others (as the White Walkers are called there) mock and laugh at Ser Weymar Royce before killing him. That's far more scary than just emotionless beings, and you already have the wights be the emotionless killing machines anyway. To see that the threat is very alien but still shows clear relatable intelligence and desire in how they act.

They clearly altered them over the course of the TV show.

Man, I wanted to see those ice spiders. But hey, at least we got giants that can be taken out by 12 years olds.
That was a wight giant, which had a huge weakness to exploit.
But yeah, I hope the prequel goes all out and gives us way more creatures and magic, seeing as that would not contradict anything really.

By the way, even with me loving the final season, I won't be extremely interested if it does not go in a wildly different direction thematically and tone wise.

That was a wight giant, which had a huge weakness to exploit.
But yeah, I hope the prequel goes all out and gives us way more creatures and magic, seeing as that would not contradict anything really.

By the way, even with me loving the final season, I won't be extremely interested if it does not go in a wildly different direction thematically and tone wise.

Which weakness was that? Holding a victim in its hand and bringing it close to its face? Instead of just killing her and moving on like all wights have done in the past?

Which weakness was that? Holding a victim in its hand and bringing it close to its face? Instead of just killing her and moving on like all wights have done in the past?

I mean dragonglass and valyrian steel.

And what happened to all the other wight giants. There was like three or more of them.

Maybe they were the ones who dived to get the dead dragon out of the water for the Night King?
Still, where would those huge ass chains come from, I don't know.

I would loves to see them bring The North of the Wall to life. Show us them crossing Frostfangs, I want to see Ice Dragon's in North Grove, Shadowcats and how the Land of Always Winter became that way.

I would loves to see them bring The North of the Wall to life. Show us them crossing Frostfangs, I want to see Ice Dragon's in North Grove, Shadowcats and how the Land of Always Winter became that way.
From what I gather shadow cats are just normal large cats. Like leopards or something.

Wasn't it always that way?
I could easy be wrong haven’t read the books just read this “The land wasn't always a winter-covered wasteland, having been a fertile land inhabited by the Children of the Forest in ancient history which they used to perform rituals and turn a captured human into the first of the White Walkers”

But I’m not sure if this official or not.

I could easy be wrong haven’t read the books just read this “The land wasn't always a winter-covered wasteland, having been a fertile land inhabited by the Children of the Forest in ancient history which they used to perform rituals and turn a captured human into the first of the White Walkers”

But I’m not sure if this official or not.
If they're going just by the show, it used to be green pastures in the beginning. It became always winter with the creation of WW.

^^^ A million times this. If they had taken the deal they were offered, they could have had a whole season for Jon's mission behind the wall. Expound on the origins. Show what they do with the kids. Take him all the way to the Lands of Always Winter. Actually give him time to interact with Uncle Benjen/Coldhands. And let the Hound fight a freakin' ice spider!

Imagine the types of locations they could have utilized... Hopefully we see stuff like this in the Prequels.

crystal-ice-cave-tour-from-jokulsarlon-glacier-lagoon-in-h-fn-529652.jpg

ice-caving-excursion-hi.jpg

Hike-Moreno-Glacier-Argentina.jpg

glacier-tunnels.jpg

From what I gather shadow cats are just normal large cats. Like leopards or something.
bb874f6d120036005bffb9bdfeaee60ba89ab61a_00.jpg

The illustrations I've seen range between being a black bobcat to a black tiger with silver stripes. Either way, pretty darn cool in my humble opinion.

Title seems to have leaked with the logo...and it's pretty stupid:

They should have went with "The Long Night" like George wanted.

Edit: I wonder if they abandoned the Long Night title because of the backlash to GOT Season 8's "Not So Long Night". Trying to put some distance between this show and that negativity.

Last edited:
From what I understand, there is no Blood Moon in the Lord of GOT, so the name is pretty stupid and makes no sense.

Starks & Direwolves To feature In Prequel

“The Starks will definitely be there,”
Martin said. “Obviously the White Walkers are here — or as they’re called in my books, The Others — and that will be an aspect of it,” Martin says. “There are things like direwolves and mammoths.”

The Starks descended from the First Men of Westeros, so it makes sense that they would appear in such an early time period. That said, not every major house from Game of Thrones will have a role in the prequel. For example, the Lannisters will be absent from the series, at least at the beginning.

“The Lannisters aren’t there yet, but Castlery Rock is certainly there; it’s like the Rock of Gibraltar,” he added. “It’s actually occupied by the Casterlys — for whom it’s still named after in the time of Game of Thrones.”

Upon reading this news, D&D sit deep in thought before asking.... "What's a Direwolf?"

Also, the biggest news here is we get to see House Castlery. Great to see we'll be getting investment in new Houses and hopefully spend time in different kingdoms.

“The Starks will definitely be there,”
Martin said. “Obviously the White Walkers are here — or as they’re called in my books, The Others — and that will be an aspect of it,” Martin says. “There are things like direwolves and mammoths.”

The Starks descended from the First Men of Westeros, so it makes sense that they would appear in such an early time period. That said, not every major house from Game of Thrones will have a role in the prequel. For example, the Lannisters will be absent from the series, at least at the beginning.

“The Lannisters aren’t there yet, but Castlery Rock is certainly there; it’s like the Rock of Gibraltar,” he added. “It’s actually occupied by the Casterlys — for whom it’s still named after in the time of Game of Thrones.”

My favorite bit of that interview:

"As for the title, Martin has been outspoken about wanting to call the series “The Long Night.” That title was what “Game of Thrones” named its much-discussed Battle of Winterfell episode in the final season, which means Martin might have to come up with a different title. “I heard a suggestion that it could be called ‘The Longest Night,’ which is a variant I wouldn’t mind,” he said. “That would be pretty good.”

:funny: That's about as awful as calling it "The Longer Night".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"