The Long Night prequel series

Could the first Long Night have really lasted a whole generation? Were the old stories exaggerated?

Most likely. GOT established that the White Walkers are awful tacticians and can be defeated by a tiny girl with a trampoline. And winters they cause arent all that bad either. No way the White Walkers held Westeros for an entire generation (10-20 years).

Joking aside, the Long Night will last as long as the show runs, and it probably wont begin until the end of season 1 or 2. If they stick to the 1 season = 1 year like GOT, and if the show gets 7 - 10 seasons that would mean the Long Night lasts 5 - 8 years. Which I suppose that could be the length of a Westerosi generation since the death rate is higher, age of maturity is lower, and the average life span is lower. A 21st century real world generation is only about 20 years.

Last edited:
I'm still waiting for them to make this a series officially. So far they've just shot a pilot. Or they're just going to put all their faith behind Dark Materials?

I kind of have to wonder if the negative backlash to the final season has made everyone involved super cautious about moving forward...
My thoughts originally too, until I saw the announcement of the targaryens prequel a couple of weeks ago. So who knows, Martin did say they probably wanted more than one show. But I'm skeptical of them doing more than one show. Unless one is exclusive to their app or some **** like that. But it's definitely weird how slow this has been moving post pilot.

Last edited:
Like with the other one I'm not interested. I'll wait for the books.

‘Game Of Thrones’ Prequel Pilot Starring Naomi Watts Not Going Forward At HBO

Word of the pilot, penned by Goldman and directed by S.J. Clarkson, not going forward comes after a lengthy post-production and rumors about issues during filming in Northern Ireland.

Showrunner Goldman has been emailing the cast and crew of the project to tell them that the pilot is dead, we hear. The development has not been confirmed by HBO.

The prequel, created by the Kingsman scribe and George R. R. Martin, takes places thousands of years before the wars, romances and dragons of the Emilia Clarke and Kit Harington-led GoT that wrapped up its blockbuster eight season run earlier this year. Weaving in issues of race, power, intrigue and White Walkers, the Goldman-run prequel was given the green light back in June of 2018.

On the same day as D&D losing Star Wars. Damn. :funny:

Welp, that about does it for the series. The sun has set on GOT. For the better, I'm sure.

freefolk is having an equivalent of Matrix' Zion orgy/rave rn

The last two rushed seasons messed everything up. It's sad really. The show wasn't perfect, but those last one did a real number on everyone involved. They really should have just let the two idiots go, and continued the show properly, instead of rushing the last two seasons.

The pilot must have been pretty bad/boring.

This was bound to happen. The whole point of this particular prequel was the hype around the Whitewalkers. But S8 killed all that. No point in showing their origins and rise to power when all it took was a stab with a knife to kill the king and end the supposed second Long Night that didn't even last a full night.

This was bound to happen. The whole point of this particular prequel was the hype around the Whitewalkers. But S8 killed all that. No point in showing their origins and rise to power when all it took was a stab with a knife to kill the king and end the supposed second Long Night that didn't even last a full night.

I agree. A better ending would of been if the north lost the battle at Winterfell and the survivors had to go to Kings Landing where Cersi sees the White Walkers and she involves wildfire in some way. And of course Jon should of been the one to kill the Night King and have Jaime kill Cersi and not have Dany go crazy and murder over 100,000 people in just one episode.

Can't strike twice.

That is so unfair. I was really excited for this.
Indeed. It's not a great look to finally hire a female voice for the GOT universe and then can it over pilot issues, after they let 2D near-completely redo their first pilot.
I guess it's just easier for me to separate the stories. To me, losing interest in The Long Night because the Night King's comeback didn't last is like losing interest in The Empire because the First Order is disappointing.
And of course Jon should of been the one to kill the Night King and have Jaime kill Cersi and not have Dany go crazy and murder over 100,000 people in just one episode.
This is all so cliche, though. Everything that GOT was supposed to NOT be. Especially with Jaime. Him murdering a pregnant Cersei would be more of a character assassination than what we got.

I guess it's just easier for me to separate the stories. To me, losing interest in The Long Night because the Night King's comeback didn't last is like losing interest in The Empire because the First Order is disappointing.
But we've seen the Empire first and we still don't know how the First Order will end up. Your example would be accurate if we've seen the Long Night first before S8. And it's not so much that the Long Night and Night King didn't last, but more so they went down in such a pathetic way. Also, the Empire and the First Order are more or less 2 distinct entities, while the Whitewalkers is pretty much the same group making a comeback.

The pilot must have been pretty bad/boring.

GOT's original pilot was supposedly a dumpster fire. HBO allowed them to recast and rewrite it and reshoot it from the ground up. I would think they would allow the same for this show's pilot if it was so bad.

I think HBO just realized that the White Walkers are a sore subject for the fanbase atm. Season 8 **** all over the central elements of this prequel and made it toxic. And the fact is no matter what this prequel did, the story always comes to an end with Arya defeating the Noob King.

Indeed. It's not a 8great look to finally hire a female voice for the GOT universe and then can it over pilot issues, after they let 2D near-completely redo their first pilot.

This is all so cliche, though. Everything that GOT was supposed to NOT be. Especially with Jaime. Him murdering a pregnant Cersei would be more of a character assassination than what we got.

Considering Maggy the frog told Cersei she would be killed by a younger brother it would mean either Tyrion or Jaime. Cersei assumes it would pertain more to Tyrion, but Jaime would make more sense considering the path he's on in the books and the fact he didn't even bother to help her when she wanted him to be her champion while being locked up by the High Sparrow.

See that could have worked if Arya's central arc had been her training with the Faceless Men and then being tasked by them with finding a mythical dagger that could unmake the Night King. Have the dagger be rumored to be in the Far East and she ends up going so far east that she crosses back into the Land of Always Winter and finds the dagger at the White Walker fortress. She takes it and heads South racing to catch the Night King before he can destroy Winterfell. This ties Arya and the Faceless Men into the WW storyline. Yeah, itd be typical fantasy stuff but it would have been properly built up and intertwined.

It's ironic that D&D wanted to subvert expectations and tried to do the unexpected, but they ended up resolving the Long Night in a typical way: an unsuspecting hero uses a powerful magical weapon to defeat the great evil sorcerer at the last minute. All D&D really did was leave out all the typical setup and typical fantasy labels.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"