Iron Man 3 The Mandarin in Iron Man 3...Love it or hate it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
ew. stop calling Killian "The Mandarin..."

so if Kingsley had done all those things that Killian did but just wearing his costume would you have been okay with it? Because, to me, that makes no sense.

o_O

The Mandarin didn't exist as far as I'm concerned. There was Aldrich Killian. And then there was Trevor. If Trevor had been injected with Extremis and breathed fire and had a crush on Pepper, no I would not have thought he was a good Mandarin.

o_O

The Mandarin didn't exist as far as I'm concerned. There was Aldrich Killian. And then there was Trevor. If Trevor had been injected with Extremis and breathed fire and had a crush on Pepper, no I would not have thought he was a good Mandarin.

...so what did you want?? Take the exact or a similar storyline from this film and make comic book Mandarin work in it please. I'll be waiting. (hint: it won't work)

I am a guy who really is not that hard to please when it comes to movies. I really have only disliked a few movies I have seen, but I HATED the twist.

...so what did you want. Take the exact or a similar storyline from this film and make comic book Mandarin work in it please. I'll be waiting. (hint: it won't work)

lol you're silly.

I wanted the Mandarin promised in the commercials. Race doesnt matter. But culture, demeanor, upbringing, stature, ability, presence, power does.

I wanted this guy:

"Ladies, children, sheep... Some people call me a terrorist. I consider myself a teacher. Lesson number one: Heroes, there is no such thing."

"Tony Stark, I'm gonna offer the choice: do you want an empty life, or a meaningful death?"

"Mr Stark, today is the first day of what's left of your life."

And not to mention, I wanted the guy with the rings on his fingers, and the robes, and the captain america tattoo on his neck. Where the bad place was that guy?

And The Mandarin didn't have to be related to Tony Stark (like Killian was). The Mandarin could've been his own thing. A villain that wasn't tied to Tony's origin or his past failures.

I felt like he was the Mandarin.. I look at it like this, Killain was the attituide, skills, and atheltic type (physical threat) as well as the tattoos, and Kingsley was the clothing looks and intimidation side (mind games with Tony and not letting him have any peace after Avengers events)

I didn't see it that way. Trevor was nobody, he was a vessel of the mandarin. The Mandarin in the MCU happens to be american, no beard. He still had the same motives. It was more like an origin movie FOR the mandarin, as much as a close to stark's arc. Killian, this man, creates this mandarin persona, to hide himself behind, to take the brunt of what he is doing. but in a desperate time, he accepts who he is, and says, you know what? I created the persona, the mandarin, everything he's supposedly doing, I AM doing. I AM the mandarin.

The fact is that the movie advertises ben kingsley's character who physically resembled the mandarin, and built people up. The twist not only through people off guard, but it just seemed so...stupid, if the character was physically there. But I get it, and I enjoyed the twist, but i get why people don't.

my problem with the movie has nothing to do with the twist whatsoever.

...so what did you want?? Take the exact or a similar storyline from this film and make comic book Mandarin work in it please. I'll be waiting. (hint: it won't work)

add the "mandarin" aspect of Killian's character onto kingsly's character...and leave kingley's character a nameless mystery.

there's the mandarin he wanted, no need to be condescending, you're better than that

but you DID get that Mandarin! The image of Mandarin (Kingsley (robes, rings, intimidating tone)) was speaking FOR Killian, who in turn had the rest of comic book Mandarin's attributes (skill, anger, athleticism)

It would have been nearly impossible to have the character Kingsley was portraying advance the MCU further, Killian in addition to being the physical adaption of the Mandarin also brought along AIM, and the un-tapped advanced center in the brain. Just having Kingsley alone as Mandarin wouldn't have been able to bring those things.

I know we're on different sides of the fence here, but I'd suggest looking at the bigger picture here. Personally I think comic Mandarin was done justice, it was just spread over 2 separate people, one who personified the visual and one who personified the physical/emotional.

I didn't see it that way. Trevor was nobody, he was a vessel of the mandarin. The Mandarin in the MCU happens to be american, no beard. He still had the same motives. It was more like an origin movie FOR the mandarin, as much as a close to stark's arc. Killian, this man, creates this mandarin persona, to hide himself behind, to take the brunt of what he is doing. but in a desperate time, he accepts who he is, and says, you know what? I created the persona, the mandarin, everything he's supposedly doing, I AM doing. I AM the mandarin.

The fact is that the movie advertises ben kingsley's character who physically resembled the mandarin, and built people up. The twist not only through people off guard, but it just seemed so...stupid, if the character was physically there. But I get it, and I enjoyed the twist, but i get why people don't.

my problem with the movie has nothing to do with the twist whatsoever.

add the "mandarin" aspect of Killian's character onto kingsly's character...and leave kingley's character a nameless mystery.

there's the mandarin he wanted, no need to be condescending, you're better than that

see my above post for more info, but what I highlighted is exactly why I think it worked haha.

but you DID get that Mandarin! The image of Mandarin (Kingsley (robes, rings, intimidating tone)) was speaking FOR Killian, who in turn had the rest of comic book Mandarin's attributes (skill, anger, athleticism)

It would have been nearly impossible to have the character Kingsley was portraying advance the MCU further, Killian in addition to being the physical adaption of the Mandarin also brought along AIM, and the un-tapped advanced center in the brain. Just having Kingsley alone as Mandarin wouldn't have been able to bring those things.

I know we're on different sides of the fence here, but I'd suggest looking at the bigger picture here. Personally I think comic Mandarin was done justice, it was just spread over 2 separate people, one who personified the visual and one who personified the physical/emotional.

Well hey, I think they are onto something over in another thread. That the Mandarin might persist and become one of many "masters" of evil throughout Phase 2. Now something like that might help me change my opinion of this film.

It's fine we have different opinions. I wanted a more classic Mandarin, whether that is politically correct or not is not for me to decide. I'm not saying I wanted a racist tableau. I just wanted a respectfully adapted arch-nemesis.

Hated it.

Loved Kingsley's work as the role too much to get the rug pulled out from underneath him like that. Really wanted to see the classic aesthetic Mandarin vs Iron Man. The set up is tired and cliche, sure. But idc. They spent 2 movies yakking about how Mandarin would never work in the established world, then had Avengers which gave them the ability to pull it off and ran the other way anyway.

I saw 2 viewings tonight (9pm and then 12am) and it didn't bother me as much the 2nd time and Killian was stronger as a villain the 2nd go around knowing the truth. But the initial viewing was very.... i guess the word is "disheartening" to me. Overall a strong and enjoyable movie. But this just continues to "urk" me.

Same for me.

What they did makes sense, but
Kingsley was too good in the role to be reduced to a silly joke.

I had no knowledge of the Mandarin at all going into the film and it still bothered me.

I thought Mandarin was pretty cool, the way I see it
Kingsley was half Mandarin and Killian was half Mandarin half Fing Fang Foom.
I thought it worked pretty well to fit thematically with the rest of the Iron Man movies.

Yeah, Mandy could have had the rings, maybe explained as fallen from the Chitauri, and while that may have fit with the MCU in general, I don't think it would fit with just the Iron Man movies.

I kinda liked how they took two of the crazier villains and used them. Granted, not extremely similar to the books but I thought it worked well.

understood Proxy. And yes I do believe there is more to this story than we know right now, I'm always trying to look to the bigger picture. In this case Cap2 and Avengers2 will probably tell us more about IM3. I'm just on the side where I think Mandarin was done well and you're on the side, along with many others, that think they didn't do him justice. But I do think for sure something from this movie is going to pop up in the upcoming years.

Terrible, I really liked Spider-Man 3 more than this movie. The Mandarin wasn't even really the Mandarin, it was just a name used to scare people. It was just the Guy Pearce character and the Ben Kingsley character. I mean common... he was a
crack addict guy off the streets to play a terrorist guy on TV. And Guy Pearce's character was a mad bio engineer psycho business man. We had bio genetic super soldiers as our baddies in the film! At one point Guy Pearce breathed fire like a dragon lol. No rings of doom either :csad: just the bio genetic soldiers.
Plus plot holes, but really that is the least of the problems. Just terrible. It truly felt 3rd movie curse all over again for me.

I never liked the idea of The Mandarin as a villain; not even a little bit. So In a way I got what I wanted, but not in the way that I wanted it. So that gave me some mixed feelings about the whole thing. I would rather there have been no mention of The Mandarin at all.

lol you're silly.

I wanted the Mandarin promised in the commercials. Race doesnt matter. But culture, demeanor, upbringing, stature, ability, presence, power does.

I wanted this guy:

"Ladies, children, sheep... Some people call me a terrorist. I consider myself a teacher. Lesson number one: Heroes, there is no such thing."

"Tony Stark, I'm gonna offer the choice: do you want an empty life, or a meaningful death?"

"Mr Stark, today is the first day of what's left of your life."

And not to mention, I wanted the guy with the rings on his fingers, and the robes, and the captain america tattoo on his neck. Where the bad place was that guy?

And The Mandarin didn't have to be related to Tony Stark (like Killian was). The Mandarin could've been his own thing. A villain that wasn't tied to Tony's origin or his past failures.

Captain America tattoo? Do tell.

I think that it would have been brilliant if Kingsley was the real mandarin pretending to be an actor. If they went that route he should have showed up after Killian was destroyed. One thing that I have been thinking is that if Stark really did kill an extremis soldier by chest blasting them in their chest then why didn't he do the same to Killian?

When I learned about the twist I thought NO they can't have done that but once I saw it with [blackout]Killian being the Mandarin all along[/blackout], I thought it was handled pretty well. Also thought about Fin Fang Foom when I saw his dragon tattoos not to mention the fire breathing so in a way, the elements of Mandarin were still intact to an extent.

Overall I really enjoyed the movie. Better than the first two by far!!! :)

Last edited:
Captain America tattoo? Do tell.

Watch the teaser trailer or something. Pay close attention to the back of Trevor's neck. Its got caps shield tattooed. But with what looks like an anarchy symbol instead of a star.

I know why half of you didn't like it. It's because you were promised a classic hero vs villain showdown but didn't get it. Everything pointed toward getting one, you all wanted one, all the ingredients were there but the recipe was completely different. You wanted Iron Man to have a Darth Vader or Joker or a Terminator of his own, you all wanted a new name etched into the history of villains, even if you didn't know it beforehand. That's why it's such a bitter pill to swallow, because everything else about the film is pretty damn good.

Well the twist certainly surprised me. I even laughed when it happened. But very quickly, as it sunk in what they had done, I was pretty much pissed off for the remainder of the movie.

Therefore, the first Iron Man movie is still tops for me.

I had the exact same reaction. At first I was like 'ooo nice twist', then it hit me and I was like 'aww, I kinda liked that character. :( '

I voted 'Loved it' for Kingsley. He was fantastic.

Killian on the other hand, was a lousy villain with a cliche plan and personality. So much more could be done on that front, but I give it a pass for Kingsley. He was so entertaining and took the sting out of the initial shock that the Mandarin was "fake".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"