The metaphors you see in popular movies

I remember reading a review that alluded to Up being a metaphor for erectile dysfunction in elderly men.

The Godfather series, particularly the first two, is about the American Experience and the clash of cultures in that melting pot. Vito Corleone comes to America and makes his family wealthy and climbs the (criminal) ladder of the American dream through the values of his homeland, but the more successful and homogenized/Americanized his family becomes in future generations the more they lose their culture, their history and ultimately their family. By the end of the second film they have transcended even past the reach of the US Congress, but they have lost everything that makes them a family....which is why Vito made the choices he did when he came to America in the first place. Oh, the irony.

I've always seen the Godfather series as a story of capitalism at its most ruthless and unregulated.

Where does Nesmee fit into the Twilight metaphors?

French killed their king and got their democracy started back up no?

Anyways I actually think Twilight presents an interesting metaphor for Teen Sex. Edward wants to wait till marriage..that's all I know.

Good points all. I was going to leave as is, but I wanted to respond to these two points. The French did kill Louis XVI...and thousands of other men, women and children (sigh....the French), but that was only after the American Revolution. And then they put Napoleon in charge and tried emperors for a spell.....sigh....the French. ;)

And Twilight is an interesting metaphor for teen sex if it wasn't so blatant "Wait until marriage or you'll become a monster" and all the Prince Charming stuff in the 21st century. My opinion, of course.

Last edited:
I've always seen the Godfather series as a story of capitalism at its most ruthless and unregulated.

That's partially there. But it's all entangled in the larger themes of the American Experience, the immigrant experience, heritage, tradition, and most of all family. And it all kind of comes back to how these two cultures meshed and the more American (or capitalist) one became, the more they lost their culture, their family and everything they started doing it for. But I don't think it was like Scarface or Wall Street where it's just about capitalistic excess in the '80s and pretty much all post-Reagan years, if you know what I mean.

The Bride of Frankenstein is about two men, one who's very flamboyant, creating life without need of a woman. And, when a woman is produced for their heterosexual ally, it screws everything up.

and how can the ewoks not represent the Viet Cong.

They defeat a vastly superior military force with primitive customs and tactics.

Return of the Jedi came out around ten years after the Vietnam War ended after the Viet Cong had done that same exact thing.

So are the Na'vi the Viet Cong as well? It's a trope man.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"