Of Angels and Devils: Symbolic imagery in SMALLVILLE

avidreader said:
LMAO!

And B8 just because its in the bible, doesnt mean that you cant change the story. :whatever: :oldrazz:

Oh I wasn't saying that they can't use creative liscence. I was just pointing out another instance where they used a similarity in the bible with the Superman mythos. I just thought that where he was shot was interesting.

Brainiac 8 said:
Oh I wasn't saying that they can't use creative liscence. I was just pointing out another instance where they used a similarity in the bible with the Superman mythos. I just thought that where he was shot was interesting.

Psst..... you know I was joking dont you. :cwink:

I was just making fun of the fact that everybody says Smallville changes the mythology. I guess my attempt at humour was just TOO subtle.

hehe, sorry, humor is lost nowadays. :O

I'm tired, that's my story and I'm stickin' to it.:ninja:

it was such a long time ago but didn't the fake kara always wear white in covenant. a symbol of virtue, innocence and purity. she looked like an angel in places- tempting clark home.

04nbod said:
it was such a long time ago but didn't the fake kara always wear white in covenant. a symbol of virtue, innocence and purity. she looked like an angel in places- tempting clark home.

True...

She wore white except when she was naked.

;)

This little thread caught my eye, especially since last night...

I go to a GREAT Bible study on Mondays (by Beth Moore) and we are studying the book of Daniel. Last night she mentioned that the name Dani-EL means "God is my judge" and that in Hebrew, "EL" means God (that can be THE GOD or other gods). Very interesting...

I looked it up...
El

Main article: El (god)
The word El appears in other northwest Semitic languages such as Phoenician and Aramaic. In Akkadian, ilu is the ordinary word for god. It is also found also in Old South Arabian and in Ethiopic, and, as in Hebrew, it is often used as an element in proper names. In northwest Semitic texts it often appears to be used of one single god, perhaps the head of the pantheon, sometimes specifically said to be the creator.
El (Hebrew: אל) is used in both the singular and plural, both for other gods and for the God of Israel. As a name of God, however, it is used chiefly in poetry and prophetic discourse, rarely in prose, and then usually with some epithet attached, as "a jealous God." Other examples of its use with some attribute or epithet are: El `Elyon ("Most High God"), El Shaddai ("God Almighty"), El `Olam ("Everlasting God"), El Hai ("Living God"), El Ro'i ("God of Seeing"), El Elohe Israel ("God, the God of Israel"), El Gibbor ("God of Strength"). In addition, names such as Gabriel ("Strength of God"), MichaelRaphael ("God's medicine") and Daniel ("God is My Judge") use God's name in a similar fashion. ("He Who is Like God"),

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Names_of_God_in_Judaism

Venomfan said:
im sorry i just have to nitpick and say that Jesus went into the DESERT for 40 days to be tempted by the devil

I think he fasted and prayed for 40 days, then at the end the devil tempted him.

The Sage said:
I think he fasted and prayed for 40 days, then at the end the devil tempted him.
You guys are funny... and are all partially right.

After being baptized, Jesus went into the "wilderness" and fasted and prayed for 40 days. (Godly men, like Moses and Elijah were often alone with God for a long time... where they learned more about HIM... where they learned his will and got focused. Often this was done before embarking on an important work for God. Jesus did it before starting his ministry.)

In his physically weakened condition the devil then came and "tempted" him... He challenged Jesus to use his "power" to prove himself... but that would have been going against his purpose on earth.

The first temptation was with food because he was very hungry, and he had the power to make the stones into bread... Then the devil took him to the pinnacle of the temple and challanged him to prove himself by jumping... Then the devil took him to a very high mountain and showed him all the kingdoms of the world. He told him that he would give ALL this to Jesus if he would worship him... This is where the devil reveals his ultimate purpose... to inspire disobedience, to separate us from God and to be like God.

Jesus answered the devil each time with scripture - "it is written..." (No wonder the Bible refers to the WORD of God as a "sword.")

Captivated said:
You guys are funny... and are all partially right.

After being baptized, Jesus went into the "wilderness" and fasted and prayed for 40 days. (Godly men, like Moses and Elijah were often alone with God for a long time... where they learned more about HIM... where they learned his will and got focused. Often this was done before embarking on an important work for God. Jesus did it before starting his ministry.)

In his physically weakened condition the devil then came and "tempted" him... He challenged Jesus to use his "power" to prove himself... but that would have been going against his purpose on earth.

The first temptation was with food because he was very hungry, and he had the power to make the stones into bread... Then the devil took him to the pinnacle of the temple and challanged him to prove himself by jumping... Then the devil took him to a very high mountain and showed him all the kingdoms of the world. He told him that he would give ALL this to Jesus if he would worship him... This is where the devil reveals his ultimate purpose... to inspire disobedience, to separate us from God and to be like God.

Jesus answered the devil each time with scripture - "it is written..." (No wonder the Bible refers to the WORD of God as a "sword.")
this one speaks the truth!

Captivated said:
... He told him that he would give ALL this to Clark if he would worship him...
Yep.. Great scene.. :up:

No Lex pictures. But when I look at Lex & Lana, all I have to say is the wolf is truly dwelling with the lamb. But hopefully a little child won't be leading them.

This thread has been long overdue for a bump!!!

Note the stained glass panels in these scenes from Promise:

Lex:
promise6a.jpg

Lana:
promise6b.jpg

No further elaboration needed. :D

^^Those are great.

Let's not forget about Lois though. :D

The stained glass triptic appears to make another appearance in Noir:

noired1lt4.jpg

Clearly a "hero" image in the center. :up:

This little thread caught my eye, especially since last night...

I go to a GREAT Bible study on Mondays (by Beth Moore) and we are studying the book of Daniel. Last night she mentioned that the name Dani-EL means "God is my judge" and that in Hebrew, "EL" means God (that can be THE GOD or other gods). Very interesting...

I looked it up...
El

Main article: El (god)
The word El appears in other northwest Semitic languages such as Phoenician and Aramaic. In Akkadian, ilu is the ordinary word for god. It is also found also in Old South Arabian and in Ethiopic, and, as in Hebrew, it is often used as an element in proper names. In northwest Semitic texts it often appears to be used of one single god, perhaps the head of the pantheon, sometimes specifically said to be the creator.
El (Hebrew: אל) is used in both the singular and plural, both for other gods and for the God of Israel. As a name of God, however, it is used chiefly in poetry and prophetic discourse, rarely in prose, and then usually with some epithet attached, as "a jealous God." Other examples of its use with some attribute or epithet are: El `Elyon ("Most High God"), El Shaddai ("God Almighty"), El `Olam ("Everlasting God"), El Hai ("Living God"), El Ro'i ("God of Seeing"), El Elohe Israel ("God, the God of Israel"), El Gibbor ("God of Strength"). In addition, names such as Gabriel ("Strength of God"), MichaelRaphael ("God's medicine") and Daniel ("God is My Judge") use God's name in a similar fashion. ("He Who is Like God"),

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Names_of_God_in_Judaism

really cool find Captivated, thanks!:woot:

p.s. my fiancee just got done doing beth moore's 'daniel' bible study and loved it! she is starting another beth moore study now, but i'm not sure which it is yet...:yay:

This thread has been long overdue for a bump!!!

Note the stained glass panels in these scenes from Promise:

Lex:
promise6a.jpg

Lana:
promise6b.jpg

No further elaboration needed. :D

I tried to post about this the other day and my internet kept cutting out, and I gave up, but Samurai's post brought it to my attention again.

I'm trying to figure out how the stories in the stain-glass windows match up with Lana and Lex, and I'm coming up with nothing. I think I missed Bible Study classes, so could you help a friend out and explain what you think each window is symbolising. :yay:

I tried to post about this the other day and my internet kept cutting out, and I gave up, but Samurai's post brought it to my attention again.

I'm trying to figure out how the stories in the stain-glass windows match up with Lana and Lex, and I'm coming up with nothing. I think I missed Bible Study classes, so could you help a friend out and explain what you think each window is symbolising. :yay:

Yeah, I'm close to being a heathen so I didn't quite get it either...

Glad someone else asked.

:confused:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"