The next Disney princess?

I'm guessing you guys watch a lot of Elena of Avalor

I'm still waiting to check that out. To be honest it's because of Elenor that I didn't suggest a Latina princess right away

Mexican. Set it during the Spanish/Aztec war/conquest and delve into the birth of a new race (Mestizos). The princess can be a Mestiza whose mother is Native and father is Spanish. Give her some talking animal friends (jaguar, eagle, axolotl), throw in some Mayan/Aztec mythology plus a quest and presto you have a hit ;)

That would be super cool and an axolotl as the Disney animal friend is one of the best ideas ever posted in this forum. How cute would that be?

I would love to see them tackle blended families actually. Tell a story about a mum marrying into a family and having to deal with a princess who hates her but they're both good people and they're both the main characters.

Then they get moved off into a wood and have to survive together and make it home without killing each other in order to defeat the baddy

For some reason I want so bad for Felicity Jones to be cast as a Disney Princess...she looks like a real life Ariel or something:

felicity-jones-oscars-2017-red-carpet.jpg

She's a picture perfect Snow White.

The only reason Disney hasn't jumped on that is because the Kristen Stewart version, right?

The only reason Disney hasn't jumped on that is because the Kristen Stewart version, right?

yea that'd actually be even better...Kristen Stewart?? ughh...Disney needs to reboot with Felicity asap lol.

The idea behind Snow White was that she came of age, and the queen found out that she was better looking than her. I think the queen would already be well aware of a thirty-something Snow White. They could do a reimagining, but their live action movies of late have hewed pretty close to the source material.

Ariel's another one who not only was technically a teenager, but her story supported it (she was a rebellious teen).

The idea behind Snow White was that she came of age, and the queen found out that she was better looking than her. I think the queen would already be well aware of a thirty-something Snow White. They could do a reimagining, but their live action movies of late have hewed pretty close to the source material.

Ariel's another one who not only was technically a teenager, but her story supported it (she was a rebellious teen).

Felicity doesnt look 30+ tho...Just a couple years ago she was playing a high school kid.

Yeah that's what I thought too. Still, we've seen a few modern adaptions of Snow White and to be honest many of them weren't worth it

I put way too much thought into this, but there's lot of different things going into picking the next princess story. You need somewhere with interesting geography, fun animals, rich mythology, and a unique culture. All of the places mentioned so far (Central America, Africa, India) would be great. I'd also add Australia into the mix. And speaking of animals, do you think they ever plan on bringing back talking animals? We haven't had one since Princess and the Frog, I think.

Just a few potential animal sidekicks:

Central America

coatimundi.jpg
1191769-220.jpg

Africa

597322-423.jpg
240_F_1030611_OTcVnSGYr1Xp8eJ7mQjOhr9fKdI5kX.jpg

India

Pangolin%20-%20Ansar%20Khan--621x414.jpg
6891_2.jpg

Australia

c5c4475a549b72b11b2c94b432cefed1.jpg
OIP-iUeorFubzuID51GyyFwGNQEsDf.jpg

One more point on the subject: Keep the stories diverse. Rapunzel, Anna, and Moana were all great leads, but they also had pretty similar characters. Mixing things up a bit is important.

Yeah the sidekicks thing is tricky because there aren't as many character actors these days.

Definitely agree about keeping it diverse

A Disney Princess film set in the future would be an interesting change.

That would be interesting. Make it all flash gordony complete with music from a band like Queen

Bit sad we haven't heard anything yet since moana was a while ago. Which fairytales haven't been told yet? I could see Disney trying it's own version of the monkey king.

The next animated princess movie is Frozen 2, but I don't think there is a "new" princess announced yet.

Just look up which Disney live action and or animated movies are in development and you'll get your answer.

How about a movie with a male protagonist? One of my favorite books as a kid was "The King with Six Friends" by Jay Williams. It's about a young king who loses his kingdom and goes wandering and along the way meets up with six men, all of whom are able to shape-shift into various things (one can turn into fire, one can turn into a snake, etc.). Ultimately it's a story about leadership and working together. They'd have to rework the story to get in more action but I think it's got potential for a good buddy movie with lots of marketable characters.

Sounds interesting, But Disney likes to adapt things that are a bit more well known or involve characters and locations that people recognize.
I would totally go to that movie though.

How about a movie with a male protagonist? One of my favorite books as a kid was "The King with Six Friends" by Jay Williams. It's about a young king who loses his kingdom and goes wandering and along the way meets up with six men, all of whom are able to shape-shift into various things (one can turn into fire, one can turn into a snake, etc.). Ultimately it's a story about leadership and working together. They'd have to rework the story to get in more action but I think it's got potential for a good buddy movie with lots of marketable characters.

As far as a male protagonist for a fairytale movie, they have Gigantic in 2020 (Jack and the Beanstalk adaptation).

Besides that, there is also Wreck It Ralph 2, Coco, Incredibles 2, and probably others on the way.

Sounds interesting, But Disney likes to adapt things that are a bit more well known or involve characters and locations that people recognize.
I would totally go to that movie though.

True, though Frozen didn't have anything recognizable in it even though it was supposed to be based on The Snow Queen. About the only thing from the original story there was the fact the main character could create snow!

Looks like The King with Six Friends is still available on Amazon and it seems to be fairly popular with people who also read it as a kid:

https://www.amazon.com/King-Six-Fri...9645978&sr=8-1&keywords=king+with+six+friends

Heck, you could even make the main character female, and some of the friends too, they don't all have to be guys. As long as you keep the core theme of friendship, teamwork and leadership intact you can do what you want with the rest of it. The quest segment at the end has the hand of a princess as the reward but I think they'd have to change that anyway, probably into something involving the deposed King/ Queen getting his or her kingdom back. It could be animated or live action. One of the friends can turn into a swarm of bees, that would look pretty awesome in a live action movie...

I'm still hoping they are inspired by India next time.

Oh and sequels and live action adaptions don't count

Ha! Said my mum, the boss of the Internet.

I guess it's tricky to find quirky character actors these days for animal sidekick roles. The rock is a good one but they already used him for Moana. Who's left, Kate McKinnon? Melissa McCarthy would be good. When was the last time we saw a woman animal sidekick?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"