The OA (Netflix)

Kaleb

2010 & 2018 SHHFFL Champion
Reaction score
the-oa-netflix-poster-405x600.jpg

[YT]DvHJtez2IlY[/YT]

The OA (not to be confused with The O.C.) is a new mysterious hourlong series coming to Netflix this week, and if it seems like it’s coming out of left field, that’s because it kind of is. Though the project was announced last year, the first trailer debuted today when the eight episodes are scheduled to bow on the platform this Friday. But the footage itself offers a mystery and a performance by Brit Marling that’ll surely intrigue fans of this indie darling.

The show centers around Prairie Johnson (Marling), a blind girl who went missing for years. Now in her 20s, she returns to her small-town home with her sight fully restored. While some members of the community call it a miracle, her presence is considered baffling and even dangerous to others. Adding to the puzzle is her refusal to tell her parents and the FBI anything about what happened to her for seven years.

http://collider.com/the-oa-trailer-netflix

This has been getting terrific reviews. It's almost like Stranger Things in that it came very little hyped but will be very bingeworthy over the holiday break.

Brit Marling is awesome. Another Earth and Sound of My Voice are two of my favorite "genre" films of the past few years. I have started to notice that she has a specific type of character that she plays in pretty much every movie she has a creative hand in...but I'll deal.

I'm only two episodes in, and so far so good. It's about what I expect from this team and the little I know about the plot.

I've only seen Brit Marling in Babylon.

I watched the first two episodes. The show is good so far.

I dropped it after the first episode.

Didnt really like it and I really hated the bully character.

I dropped it after the first episode.

Didnt really like it and I really hated the bully character.

I think your first mistake was thinking that you are supposed to like a bully character...but I can see where a lot of people might not like this.

I loved it up until the last 15 minutes... left me super confused and swept the rug out from under me. I just... hmm.

I loved it up until the last 15 minutes... left me super confused and swept the rug out from under me. I just... hmm.

I concur. And the movement sequences seemed like yoga being taught by pee wee herman's cat. But i did enjoy the show

Just started. It's really great.

There's so much to think about with this show. Wow!

It's a very strange show...Riviting... but strange.

Sounds interesting, but the name makes me think of Oa from Green Lantern comics.

I love Brit Marling, I hope to start watching this soon.

I've seen the first two episodes and it's decent. Wouldn't put it above that rating at the moment.

Finally finished watching it...and I'm torn.

I enjoy having to think about things after I watch them to figure out the real story underneath. Unfortunately, after 1 complete watch, I just dont have enough info (or didnt pick up on details) to figure things out in a satisfying manner. There are things that are either plot holes/bad writing OR have some greater meaning that I didn't pick up on. Yes, there are CERTAINLY some things that I did catch onto that clearly have meaning [BLACKOUT]Like both Homer and French getting head injuries...or Buck riding his bicycle past a car accident with a red backpack...and Rachel's near death experience involved a car accident and a red backpack.[/BLACKOUT] but I still don't know WHAT that means [BLACKOUT]was she just making up details as she saw them, or is there some alternate universe where events mirror this reality or are these details invented by the listeners of her stories as they fill in the blanks with their imaginations?[/BLACKOUT] But beyond that, certain things make NO sense [BLACKOUT]Like, they establish that Hap gets all of his food delivered by buying online...yet he almost dies from eating tomato paste, which he would have had to order knowing that he was going to eat it...and why exactly was that FBI psychiatrist roaming around her house in the middle of the night?[/BLACKOUT]. Unless those things have meaning that I missed, it's just bad writing. The ending was very underwhelming for me, so I'm not sure that I enjoyed the experience enough to rewatch the show to try to figure this out.

Last edited:
I only just realized Rachel was played by singer Sharon Van Etten. No wonder she could sing so good.

Was this just a one off event show or is there a second season potentially coming?

if all of her story was fake... then there were two BIG questions none of the characters considered at the end of the show... where they **** was she and how the hell did she get her sight back?

It is a one season show...but the creators have a future mapped out already if it is a success and Netflix orders more episodes. So, we may be getting answers to some of these dangling questions. It's getting a ton of attention, so I'm assuming that netflix will be pleased with the reaction.

Besides, one thing that Brit Marling does well is developing sci-fi type concepts that don't require a scif-fi budget. If the costs were low and the interest high with genre fans, then it'll be deemed a success.

I watched the pilot last night and enjoyed it. But please tell me Steve gets less annoying? I wanted to punch that kid.

I just finished it, overall it was good/interesting but the ending sucks. Not much resolution.

Yeah, the ending was super confusing. I guess, in the coming weeks the online community will have theories on what really happened….

I finished it as well. This series was just....odd. As it went on, it really started to remind me of Marling's previous film Sound of my Voice. I'm not shocked it ended on an ambiguous note due to her previous work.

I'd probably watch season 2 if it came out, though the people I was watching with all checked out when they started doing the movements.

I finished it as well. This series was just....odd. As it went on, it really started to remind me of Marling's previous film Sound of my Voice. I'm not shocked it ended on an ambiguous note due to her previous work.

I'd probably watch season 2 if it came out, though the people I was watching with all checked out when they started doing the movements.

I laughed when they first started doing it but [BLACKOUT]the scene at the end even though it was a tad bit ridiculous, was sort of beautiful. Not sure who choreographed it but well done.[/BLACKOUT]

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"