The Obscure/Cult Movies Suggestion Thread

Spider-Fan

SHHFFL 2014/2019 Champion
Staff member
Reaction score
This is a thread dedicated to bring people to watch some movies you may not know exist. This is not for formerly mainstream movies or classic movies prior to the 60's that many people on here have not seen. I am talking movies you'll probably only find in the Cult Classics section of your DVD store, or has never seen a major release. Off the top of my head, I have two:

1.) High Strung

Written by and starring thumb master Steve Oedekerk, the movie chronicles Thane Furrows rants about annoying things about life, society, parenting, etc. as he draws closer to a mysterious event to happen at 8:00. Also look for a brief appearance by Jim Carrey (way before he got popular).

This film is done in the protagonists talks to the audience while other characters don't style (first other example I've got at the top of my head of this is High Fidelity). The movie is hysterically funny, and only ever seen a brief wide release on VHS (which is how I first saw the movie WAY back when), but has no official DVD release at this time.

2.) Cannibal! The Musical

This movie is loosely based on Alfred Packer (man convicted of cannibalism in Colorado). Packer is awaiting his trial judgement on charges of cannibalism in prison, when a reporter comes and discusses Packer's side of the story about an ill fated journey from Utah to the Colorado Territory in search of better gold mines. Packer and his group enjoy song, dance, and when things take a turn for the worst, human flesh.

This is a gem of a comedy, and will have more recognition than the previous example. One of Trey Parker's best movies. It was distributed by Troma Films after they bought the distribution rights when Parker and Stone began South Park. This film is available on DVD (via Troma) at your local DVD store's Cult Classics section.

I'll think of more to do later, but please submit your own. I'd love to get some suggestions on lesser known things to watch in the future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"