• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

Which could become a cult classic?

PyroChamber

Not lactose, it's milk!
Reaction score
After reading this article on film.com...

http://www.film.com/features/story/why-did-kick-ass-scott/42679265

It kind of got me thinking; both unfortunately didn't do too great at the box office when they were released, both got great reviews and they both have a signifciant almost of fans (particularly those of us here on the Hype).

So, between these two movies, which do you think has the possibility of being a cult classic in the sense of finding a bigger audience in years to come and being more appreciated: Kick-Ass or Scott Pilgrim?

Last edited:
Both really, but overall Im going to have to say Scott Pilgrim, it just apeals to an already variable group of somewhat cultish demographics, particularlly in the terms of its soundtrack, but also the fans of the comics, and devotees to its videogame inspired culture. Oh not to mention hardcore Edgar Wright fans.

Cult Classics happen on their own, but usually it's a combo of people in the industry (directors, writers) reciting them as an influence on their work, critics and film journos constantly mentioning them in essays or articles, or just fans keeping them alive.

Just like Back to the Future.

I put my money on Scott Pilgirm. Till this very day, they still play Scott in theaters in LA. That might not mean much now but it could have a big effect in the future and is a sign that..people love it.

scott pilgrim is also far more quoteable, I think quotability goes a long way with these sorts of things.

How is Back to the Future a cult classic? That's pretty mainstream.

I don't see why we have to pick one. Both are most likely gonna end up cult faves.

Can't vote, haven't seen Scott Pilgrim yet unfortunately.

I haven't seen Kick Ass, but it seems to me they both already have a cult following..

Scott Pilgrim easily. It was original and different enough to split people down the middle to where it won't have a huge following. My roommates watched it last night and one of them said that if she saw it in the theatre she would have walked out. This movie is a love or hate kind of film while Kick-Ass is just another comic film but R rated. In that last sentence I'm not knocking Kick-Ass, I really liked it as well, I just think it will be more popular in the long run than Scott Pilgrim.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"