The Official Checkmate thread

so him being black has to do with what again?:huh:

See, Faust and Gravedigger will get together, see... these are the BLACK rooks, right? And they're gonna walk down the street sporting their 'fro combs and walkin' all groovy. Their gonna talk all this jive nonsense and what not and have ladies danglin' from every finger. That's what I'm talkin' about.

Sweet Christmas.

I'm glad Varient popped by to give his his pov.

:dry:

Varient has never posted anything relevant in his whole Superherohype career.

Varient has never posted anything relevant in his whole Superherohype career.

Still waitng for something better than whining at/about sumbody who can't be bothered.

:meanie:

(I'm in a fine state,... RL has me not caring if I bruise the sensitive ego's that reside on SHH - It's like realizing that I have no reason to be respectful if others can not.)

On topic:
Checkmate is probably the first run I've seen where independent heroes from three major independent super groups could work with a government agency to combat a world threat.

Usually,.. the superheroes encounter the problems and MAYBE call in a government enity.

I've really enjoyed everything from Alan Scott Arriving on,... thru all the changes there has been enough to keep my interest. With SUPERMAN serving Checkmate for a good cause,... the hook is set.

With Clark in the mix, I doubt Checkmate will casually murder those reptile children like I would expect if Waller were still in the mix.

V.

I liked how Sasha tore up the deputization papers and politely asked Clark to help. :D

I liked how Sasha tore up the deputization papers and politely asked Clark to help. :D

I thought that was a VERY nice touch.

Superman gets respect everywhere he goes,.. His worst enemies don't fear him because they know about how he operates,.. Sasha showed how smart she was by doing just that.

Checkmate #24
The book that JLA wants to be. Come to think of it, it's probably the book that a lot of books want to be.

It's been said already, and I'll say it again, why is Wonder Woman featured prominently on the cover and even in the solicits if I recall correctly if she's really just background fodder? It wouldn't normally be a large deal, but man way to get my hopes up for a Rucka-written Wonder Woman

Continuing on the stream of epic awesome that has been Checkmate and particularly this storyline, this issue delivers on everything that made this book great for the past two years. Espionage. Action. Epic danger. Flawless writing. The most natural mix of the superhero and nonsuperhero world. And then you mix it all in with snake babies and awesome characters.

In the Rooks we have a WWII hero, a western hero, a magic hero, and a freaking robot. Two baseline humans, two metas. It's so gloriously ingenius and yet it does it without attracting any attention to its glory, my gods it just makes me want to **** all over the place. I can't wait to see them in action.

And the next issue is the last issue. It's so...frustratingly sad.

No, shhh, shut up. Bruce Jones is not continuing this book. It's ending. Shut up.

(9.8 out of 10)

So Bruce Jones' first issue is out and it didn't suck. The plot with the animal dude seems a bit generic, but an espionage context might make it feel fresher. Jones' pacing is erratic in places, but the book maintains the overall rapid pace a spy thriller should have. I'm willing to give him another issue to convince me the book is still worth buying.

That's two issues more than I was willing to give him. I hope he manages to keep it from getting canceled so I can check out the next writer. :up:

No, dude, Rucka's out. For good. Jones is the new, permanent writer for the foreseeable future.

I personally felt that the latest issue sucked and completely lacked what Rucka brought to the series.

Now that's more what I was expecting. Checkmate's a tough series to write by its very nature, and Jones can't even write simple titles like Nightwing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"