The Official "Get Marvel's Rights Back!" Thread

i could'nt buy x men in current incarnation in mcu it would need a reboot
EXACTLY! Get GOOD or at least decent actors for the reboot, FFS! Not whatshername as Mystique or any of those awful kids from FC. Make it serious, not goofy with all the stupid boyband gags (X2) and pseudo teen drama. keep it grounded in reality, don't make it over the top, like the worst of Fox's X-Men movies

singer's x men is very serious,dark and grounded in reality
now that's just BS

EXACTLY! Get GOOD or at least decent actors for the reboot, FFS! Not whatshername as Mystique or any of those awful kids from FC. Make it serious, not goofy with all the stupid boyband gags (X2) and pseudo teen drama. keep it grounded in reality, don't make it over the top, like the worst of Fox's X-Men movies

eh, how are the X-Men films full of any more goofy-ness than the Marvel films? What about those robot arm things in the Iron-Man movies, which are played for laughs like the 'Scutters' in Red Dwarf?!
Thor's Crocodile Dundee-isms were also a mite goofy. Smashing the mug in the coffee shop, a bit daft, but put there for goofy laughs.

now that's just BS

How is it not? Look at the natural way the drama is handled, what superhero movie series is more grounded in a natural style than the Singer movies? the Nolan BM films are just as naturally played.
edit: Maybe you are just talking about XMFC here, but you seem to be referencing something from X2 as well. But to say that XMFC is anymore 'goofy' or less serious than the MCU is just as perplexing to me.

Last edited:
Maybe Marvel/Disney should stop trying to get the X-Men & FF rights back and just focus on getting the merchandise rights back like they did with SONY over Spidey.

It would certainly be cheaper - Disney paid $278 million to acquire Sony's share (I believe it was 25%) of the Spider-man joint venture. But Spider-man is up there with Bats and Supes (and now, the Avengers) in terms of moving product.

It would be wise of Fox to make Disney a favorable offer on merchandise rights , if only to encourage the Mouse to help them promote their upcoming Marvel films with X-Men and FF product in stores. But with Avengers, Star Wars and Spider-man merchandise filling up shelf space, and Rocket Raccon plush toys on deck, Disney will most likely continue to ignore the Fox owned film franchises in hopes that they become unprofitable sooner rather than later.

It would certainly be cheaper - Disney paid $278 million to acquire Sony's share (I believe it was 25%) of the Spider-man joint venture. But Spider-man is up there with Bats and Supes (and now, the Avengers) in terms of moving product.

It would be wise of Fox to make Disney a favorable offer on merchandise rights , if only to encourage the Mouse to help them promote their upcoming Marvel films with X-Men and FF product in stores. But with Avengers, Star Wars and Spider-man merchandise filling up shelf space, and Rocket Raccon plush toys on deck, Disney will most likely continue to ignore the Fox owned film franchises in hopes that they become unprofitable sooner rather than later.

Fox surely must make millions off of its X-merchandise, enough that it wouldn't have any interest in selling the rights. Sony is in dire circumstances financially, so it sold the rights to Spider-Man to raise cash. Fox isn't in that position and in fact would be better off making lucrative deals with toymakers for The Wolverine and DOFP. Wolverine virtually sells its own toys, but the other X characters would be harder to move as they aren't as interesting or as popular.

I'm not entirely sure how much FOX makes off of movie merchandising... they've gotta pay the companies for making there stuff too though don't they? or is it the other way around?

Fox surely must make millions off of its X-merchandise, enough that it wouldn't have any interest in selling the rights.

Although Fox and Marvel share profits from merchandise sales, I believe Marvel (and now Disney) kept control over the process. If there were X Men: First Class merchandise in stores around the time of the film's release, I completely missed it. I don't think Fox is making millions off of movie merchandise.

Fox isn't in that position and in fact would be better off making lucrative deals with toymakers for The Wolverine and DOFP.

Fox can't cut a deal involving Marvel characters without Disney's permission.

Although Fox and Marvel share profits from merchandise sales, I believe Marvel (and now Disney) kept control over the process. If there were X Men: First Class merchandise in stores around the time of the film's release, I completely missed it. I don't think Fox is making millions off of movie merchandise.

Fox can't cut a deal involving Marvel characters without Disney's permission.

I don't think Fox makes or made anything off of merchandising. They just have the rights to make the Movies. Hasbro and Marvel make the money. Marvel did not sign away the rights to the characters but just the rights to make the movies. So there IMO is no deal to be made here. And if Fox did or do have a stake in any of the merchandising this partial quote..

http://www.reuters.com/article/2009/08/31/us-hasbro-analysis-sb-idUSTRE57U63C20090831
Hasbro's agreement with Marvel to make toys and games based on the latter's characters extends through 2017.

says to me that after 2017 Marvel will have the ball in their court as far as Toys, Backpacks, etc anyway so why make any deal with Fox for merchandising because Disney is in the drivers seat.

So Fox's hold on the film rights are all they have to be in the Marvel mix with the FF and X-Men as much as we don't like it they gonna hold on to that stake for dear life. Even if it is financially to their detriment.

Just like now Robopocalypse is on hold indefinitely because of budget concerns (And mind you the Disney and Fox are co-financing this production) and awaiting a re-write and whatever will keep the costs down is the problem that may come up with a proper FF production. Good actors, Marketing costs (Superbowl advertising?)Proper special effects (Not the XM-FC low grade) and all CGI THing?? All that is at least a 200 mil budget. We'll see if the Fox will play it's hand or fold..

I don't think Fox makes or made anything off of merchandising. They just have the rights to make the Movies. Hasbro and Marvel make the money. Marvel did not sign away the rights to the characters but just the rights to make the movies. So there IMO is no deal to be made here.

I assumed Marvel's deal with Fox was comparable to their deal with Sony, in which profits from sales of movie related merchandise would be shared between the two companies. Marvel was giving away the store back in the day, and the lack of information may be due that, unlike with Sony, there hasn't been any legal disputes on this matter. But I could be wrong.

:word:

Getting the X-Men rights back would up the ante for Marvel Studios because then there would be a proper budget and a proper coherence/continuity. But would it result in the most mature and complex X-movies yet (FWIW I think even X2 is insufficient in this regard) or cookie cutter crossover fodder? We have to keep in mind that the social ontology (sorry for the high-flying wording here, lol) of X-Men is drastically different from anything else in the Marvel world. Whereas other "properties" only assume a handful of superpowered beings at any time with moral lines usually drawn clearly, X-Men assumes a biologically determined "epidemic" of supers amidst a "baseline" majority with a grievance/fear against/of them. This relation has plenty of potential for complex and thoughtful cinema which simply hasn't been explored yet (at least not to its absolute fullest potential).

It would seem to me that, given the unique nature of X-Men within Marvel, the movies should place a heavy emphasis on questions of identity, society, politics, philosophy and even existentialism. But also mutants as simply day-to-day persons and (some) a family, etc. Of course there will be action and these ideas can - and should - also be expressed through other means than pure dialogue, but just thought to throw that out there.

A completely new continuity in, say, a subdivision of Marvel Studios would give a greater freedom for this kind of stuff, but even in the mainline MCU it would be possible to integrate the X-Men, by, for example, a superhuman registration act / "Civil War" - style plot. Mutants would simply have emerged later than other superpowered beings. It could be explained by some hopefully nifty plot device. This way we could get a mixed flavor between the mainline MCU "family entertainment" ethos and something a bit more experimental and cerebral (no pun intended). :word:

---
So yes, I think the X-Men and the vanilla MCU can mix to produce a tasty flavor
ice_cream_by_happy_gurl-d46h3lt.png

... even if it mightn't be exactly what I wanted, but overall - overall - it would be better than the FoX-Men.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"