So...how long until Marvel gets the rights back?

kaijunexus

Marvel Cinematic Universe
Reaction score
I'm not going to judge this film until I see it, but based on current reviews, I would imagine it's not very good.

So, assuming GR:SoV does relatively poorly at the box office, do you think Sony will let the rights revert back to Marvel, or will they try to further milk the flaming skull for another film?

If Sony does let the rights revert, how long until Marvel gets them back? And if/when Marvel gets them back, do you think they will (or even should) try their hand at a Ghost Rider film?

DISCUSS!!! :)

Hopefully sometime in the near future, because I'm personally looking forward to a Ghost Rider film that doesn't get ripped apart by fanboys.

Or ripped apart by critics, bloggers and general public.

If Sony does let the rights revert, how long until Marvel gets them back? And if/when Marvel gets them back, do you think they will (or even should) try their hand at a Ghost Rider film?

DISCUSS!!! :)

If Marvel makes 1-3 Superhero movies a year, I'd say it'd be a while until they got around to doing Ghost Rider, even if they got the rights. Ghost Rider is a bit of a tainted property now. Guys like Black Panther aren't, and probably would be in line first.

If they get the rights back, a cartoon might be more likely. Or even a dark, scary TV series, if it was done right!

If Marvel makes 1-3 Superhero movies a year, I'd say it'd be a while until they got around to doing Ghost Rider, even if they got the rights. Ghost Rider is a bit of a tainted property now. Guys like Black Panther aren't, and probably would be in line first.

If they get the rights back, a cartoon might be more likely. Or even a dark, scary TV series, if it was done right!

I think after two films this might be the way to go for a character like that. Even if the first one and the sequel got good reviews, I still don't believe they would have done better at the BO(well the first one at least since this just came out). I just don't think it's a character a lot of the GA takes seriously.

Punisher: War Zone was released in 2008, but Marvel got the rights back in 2011. I assume Marvel and Lionsgate brokered a deal.

If SONY and Marvel wanted to they could work out a deal. I see SONY selling Ghost Rider back to Marvel in an attempt to try to hold on to Spider-Man a little while longer.

I see Sony doing all they can to keep this property just so Marvel/Disney doesn't get a chance to make a movie people might actually enjoy as a whole.

I would like for Disney to regain ALL the film rights from everyone for their primary characters (X-Men, Spider-Man, Fantastic Four, Ghost Rider).

I see Sony doing all they can to keep this property just so Marvel/Disney doesn't get a chance to make a movie people might actually enjoy as a whole.

I don't I can see SONY cutting it's losses and focusing on the Marvel properties (Spidey & Men In Black) that work. SONY already gave up Spider-Man merchandise & television rights to cut costs.

Ghost Rider has failed twice, so why keep doing it.

First GR did decent at the BO. It failed critically. As for MIB working, we'll see what MIB3 does, but based on the trailer, looks like crap.

If GR2 performs poorly at the box office, I think even Sony would want to cut the tie with this franchise and let it revert back to Marvel. From what I've heard about it, this day will not be far away.

I would like for Disney to regain ALL the film rights from everyone for their primary characters (X-Men, Spider-Man, Fantastic Four, Ghost Rider).
Here's the problem with that logic. If Disney had all those charcters they'd still be limited to around 3 movies a year. At least with the current arrange ment other studios are forced to release major Marvel projects that might otherwise be put on the shelf.

Think about how many DC characters get their own movie versus Marvel. Warner Bros just sits on the right for most DC characters. Disney could do the same.

I see Sony giving the rights back. Sony is not going keep the rights and pay for this franchise.

That's the one good thing about this movie not being successful.

Here's the problem with that logic. If Disney had all those charcters they'd still be limited to around 3 movies a year. At least with the current arrange ment other studios are forced to release major Marvel projects that might otherwise be put on the shelf.

Think about how many DC characters get their own movie versus Marvel. Warner Bros just sits on the right for most DC characters. Disney could do the same.

That's true, but having all the rights back to most of the major characters means a much bigger connected movie universe.

I think that day will happen eventually, because I don't believe the superhero genre is a bottomless well, which can be rebooted indefinitely. Someday the movie studios like Fox and Sony will stop invest in millions for yet another remake or reboot for their Marvel movies, and let the rights go back to their original owners. It probably won't happen within 10 years, but I think sometimes between 15-20 years.

Movie's out, Blu-ray is out...not long before it will be on Cable TV. Let's hope in 3 years, it will revert back to Marvel...even if they don't make a movie out of it, GR still has a chance for a cameo..who knows maybe they will try what they did with the Avengers on the Midnight Sons using short films or animated movies...the possibilities are limitless once Sony gives it back.

Could use Dr. Strange as a platform to reintroduce him as a character for the new movieverse.

I'm confused about the rights issue right now - I always understood it as you needing to have the film in production to keep the rights... I interpreted it as filming, but I guess scripting it is also 'in production' otherwise, wouldn't Daredevil go back to Marvel? I find it pretty hard for Sony to pursue another GR movie. Question is, can they make a dark GR movie at Disney now?

Film rights are weird sometimes, like in the case of FF and Daredevil they can be held on for years. And on the flip side, the rights to the Punisher went back to Marvel a year after PWZ came out (though whether it was Lionsgate cutting their losses and selling the rights back to Marvel, or the rights relapsing is yet to been know).

As for Marvel doing a dark Ghost Rider at Disney, it'll probably be as dark as you can do with a PG-13 rating. An R-rated Ghost Rider is pretty much a long shot at this point.

I'm sure every contract for every franchise is different. In the case of some of these titles, maybe since Marvel has no requested them back, the contract stipulates they can hold on to them...OR they have already renegotiated and they are staying with their respective studios?

Who knows. BTW, a GR - R movie is really the best way to go with this series. His enemies kill and sadistically torture their victims, why they have gone PG-13 and effectively neuter action and violence is beyond me.

Film rights are weird sometimes, like in the case of FF and Daredevil they can be held on for years. And on the flip side, the rights to the Punisher went back to Marvel a year after PWZ came out (though whether it was Lionsgate cutting their losses and selling the rights back to Marvel, or the rights relapsing is yet to been know).

As for Marvel doing a dark Ghost Rider at Disney, it'll probably be as dark as you can do with a PG-13 rating. An R-rated Ghost Rider is pretty much a long shot at this point.

It would be MS that determines what's done with Ghost Rider at the end of the day. Disney has never had issues with R rated movies being released under its subsidiaries.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"